Victor Moses

Superblue

|Enjoying my football back at the Bridge|

victor-moses-interview-pre-southampton.img.png

Since Victor Moses came in to the starting XI the Blues have won three league games out of three. The official Chelsea website spoke to him this week and discussed his new position, his rapport with the fans and his teammates, and what it’s like playing in such close proximity to the boss during matches…On the pitch, Victor Moses has emerged as a vital cog under Antonio Conte; off it, the Chelsea supporters are singing his name as often as anyone’s. It is testament to the impact the Nigerian has made this season.Moses is by no means a new signing, but having spent the past three years out on loan, elsewhere in the Premier League, he does feel like one. Many of his teammates from that epic, 69-game 2012/13 campaign have moved on. Some are still here and others, like David Luiz, have also returned, but nonetheless much has changed since the Nigerian was last playing regular competitive football at the Bridge. The manner in which Moses has slotted back in to life at Chelsea suggests he has quickly felt at home again, and that’s a sentiment he agrees with as we catch up with him at Cobham.

‘I’m feeling happy, I’m feeling excited and right now I’m looking forward to every game,’ he says.‘The most important thing is getting out on the pitch and enjoying your football, and that’s what I am doing at the moment. It’s also good to have a team that believes in your ability and encourages you to keep driving on and playing well.‘I really appreciate the support of the fans as well,’ Moses adds.‘From the very first day I came here they have been great with me. I can tell the love they have for me and at the same time I have got a huge amount of respect and love for them as well.‘I will keep doing my best for them to make sure we win as many games as we can. The whole team wants to do well for the fans and make them happy, and we are going to do that this season.’

Moses speaks with confidence and clarity, reflecting his performances on the pitch. August goals against Bristol Rovers and Burnley well and truly announced his return, and then came a first league start against Hull, at right wing-back, in Conte’s new 3-4-3 system. Neither the team nor Moses have looked back.

‘I have not played there before,’ the 25-year-old reports of his new role. ‘I have just got to listen to what the manager asks me to do in that position, and the way he wants me to do it.'Every game we play I just want to keep on improving. The more games you play, the more experience you get in that position. I’m really relishing it at the moment and enjoying it.‘It’s very important to understand your teammates. I have got Azpilicueta there, the spare right-back, who is behind me, and he communicates with me and really helps me out to make sure I am in the right position. ‘It’s very good to link up with Pedro or Willian, too. They know when it’s time for me to go or when not to go. We speak to each other and we look at each other’s movement to make sure we are doing the right thing on the pitch.‘Defensively we all work as a unit in training,’ Moses continues. ‘We want to make sure we don’t get caught sleeping in a game. Every day in training the manager is on top of us to make sure we are solid at the back.‘It’s looking good for us at the moment, but we have to keep our feet firmly on the floor, try and keep the momentum going and hopefully win as many games as we can without conceding goals.’

What has been so impressive about Moses’s renaissance is the effect he is having on the team at both ends: a more-than-capable extra defender when we are on the back foot, robust, tough-tackling and alert; and a dangerous weapon in attack, offering width, crossing ability and, three times already this season, goals.The Leicester one stands out, coming as it did with a spectacular backflip celebration and a kiss of the badge in front of the jubilant Matthew Harding Stand. He smiles at the recent memory and is quick to credit the provider, Nathaniel Chalobah, whose delicate flick set him clear. 

Moses also has plenty of words of praise for Conte, with whom he has enjoyed a fantastic relationship since the very beginning of pre-season and who has given him a chance to shine again.

‘He’s a top manager. He’s making everyone feel happy. He’s played the game, he’s got the experience and he knows how to talk to players. You can tell he is very passionate about the game and we players love that as well.‘He’s also very helpful on the touchline. He talks to you to make sure you’re in the right position, and then when you do the right thing he gives you a pat on the back to encourage you, which gives you more energy.’

We’ll need plenty of vigour and verve at Southampton today, and Moses says beating the in-form Saints would send ‘another big statement’ out, following on from the thrilling toppling of Manchester United.If he is as impressive as he was last weekend, then we stand every chance of doing just that. 

chelseafc.com

Hes surprisingly top notch defensively. High up in the final third he still can make some poor decisions that remind me why i never liked him as a winger.

Wingback is almost made for him and it makes me wonder why no one has tried it before with him.

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Hes surprisingly top notch defensively. High up in the final third he still can make some poor decisions that remind me why i never liked him as a winger.

Wingback is almost made for him and it makes me wonder why no one has tried it before with him.

Didn't Martinez play him there when he was still at Wigan? I'm probably wrong though.

3 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

I'm not sure how you think that's the case....he does have a lot of contribution going forward. Today he assisted Hazard, created another one for Hazard and Costa, and almost scored one himself. He also had a goal scored against Leicester two games ago.

"He assisted Hazard"

Not sure if that was an "assist", if you now what I mean.

Anyway, the new circle jerk in Talk Chelsea is praise Moses for doing small things. A very limited player with great tactical discipline. No more than that.  Good Things is soon or late people see the light. Years ago Matic and Cahill were called world class players, and we had the best back 4 of the world in Azp, Cahill, Terry and Ivanovic. 

1 hour ago, Amblève. said:

Didn't Martinez play him there when he was still at Wigan? I'm probably wrong though.

My main memory of Wigan's 3-4-3 was the win away at Arsenal in 2012 and if I recall correctly it was Boyce at wing back and Moses on the wjng.

10 hours ago, Henrique said:

"He assisted Hazard"

Anyway, the new circle jerk in Talk Chelsea is praise Moses for doing small things. A very limited player with great tactical discipline. No more than that.  Good Things is soon or late people see the light. Years ago Matic and Cahill were called world class players, and we had the best back 4 of the world in Azp, Cahill, Terry and Ivanovic. 

Are you unable to enjoy the moment? Our player is playing surprisingly well when nobody expected him to, and is contributing massively to the success of a new system that has seen us win 4 on the trot without conceding. Why so spiteful, Henrique? Why marginalize his impact and evident quality with petty posts like this? "It's a good thing we'll soon see the light".. why is it a good thing? You basically want Moses to drop in form and play shit thus compromising the team just so you can be right and laugh at us? Are you a supporter or what? I also doubt he would have scored those goals he has if he barely went forward like you said. How you can say that is beyond me, he's a pest on both ends and could/should have scored more.

30 minutes ago, manpe said:

Are you unable to enjoy the moment? Our player is playing surprisingly well when nobody expected him to, and is contributing massively to the success of a new system that has seen us win 4 on the trot without conceding. Why so spiteful, Henrique? Why marginalize his impact and evident quality with petty posts like this? "It's a good thing we'll soon see the light".. why is it a good thing? You basically want Moses to drop in form and play shit thus compromising the team just so you can be right and laugh at us? Are you a supporter or what? I also doubt he would have scored those goals he has if he barely went forward like you said. How you can say that is beyond me, he's a pest on both ends and could/should have scored more.

No, he wont drop in form. People will just realize the limitations of his game. Its a natural process. 

7 minutes ago, Henrique said:

No, he wont drop in form. People will just realize the limitations of his game. Its a natural process. 

Everybody has limitations without exception and I don't see people being blind to Moses's either. People realize he's not good enough as a winger for example. It's not like we are going over the top with praise, everybody is just pleasantly surprised that he's performing above expectations in a position where he hasn't played before. A nice change from last season when we couldn't say that anybody was playing well, we could do without the forced negativity when we are doing so well after a long long time is all I'm saying.

14 hours ago, Henrique said:

"He assisted Hazard"

Henrique, I'm interested in knowing what you think makes him such a "limited player" at wing back. Please elaborate. 

3 hours ago, Henrique said:

True he has limitations. But he has done great. 

One good thing about this is that if we do plan on getting an upgrade then we have raised cash already. How is that? Well if we upgrade Moses we can sell now Moses for a much higher price then a year before.