Chelsea 1 - 4 Atletico Madrid

Kieran.

MOTM  

128 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

I for one thinks it a good thing that Chelsea were thrashed by Atleti. Everyone including the players and the supporters thought that Chelsea would sail through this match, given the Chelsea's form in the BPL. This loss brings the boys back down to earth and I expect to come back with a vengeance. To route QPR would only prove this to me.

My concern now is when we play against the top quality teams. Faced both City and Atletico Madrid and lost to both of them. I know we went down to 10 men against City but still. Need to pick up the pieces ASAP because we have Juventus coming up really soon.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I fail to understand here is that why couldn't we be more conservative in the game especially with the full backs. I know the full backs are extremely important these days to provide options going forward but it's like whenever we are on the ball, both FBs have to go forward and leave us with only 3 players at the back, as you pointed out. We would be better off if one FB goes forward, the other stays back. Two going forward rather aimlessly is just plain suicidal when we get hit on the counter, as we've already seen under AVB. And it doesn't help when you have Ivanovic who possess such a snail pace that any ball gets played behind his back and we are screwed. Happened so many times yesterday and it's unbelievable. Furthermore, I don't even know why he should go forward anyway. His crosses are so appalling that it just drives me mental every single time.

Said this before, Atletico Madrid did what we failed to do all night long. They attack as a unit and they defend as a unit. When they went forward, they attacked in numbers. 4-5 players all going forward, offering off the ball movement, creating space for others etc. When they have to defend, they retreat into their shape and keep things tight and compact. When they have to pressurize us on the ball, again they did it as unit, they hunt down in packs. Their defence was hardly troubled all night and Courtois was almost literally a spectator in goal.

From our perspective, we did none of that. All the good work from the Newcastle game just went out of the window completely. When we attack, there's only like 3 players or so going forward while a few others just jog into the field of action. Same thing happened when we had to defend. All the defending were left to the players behind while those further forward just jogged back and hardly looked interested in breaking a sweat to help out the defence. And perhaps the worst part of all is, we did not pressure Atletico Madrid whatsoever when they have the ball. We just backed off and allowed them time and space to turn and run at our defence. Think this situation was perfectly summed up towards the end. They had the ball and we didn't even put pressure on them whatsoever. We just allowed them to pass the ball around and run down the clock. Just absolutely pathetic!

yeah. and to think i wrote an article praising di matteo just last week.

i think we prepared for atletico like we prepare for a home game against QPR. adrian and arda turan's threat were never taken care of unlike the newcastle game where bertrand paid close attention to ben arfa. he got the balance of the team wrong here but i'm glad we didn't get the jolt we needed in a Premier League game. Now di matteo will surely be more conscious while picking the team

What I fail to understand here is that why couldn't we be more conservative in the game especially with the full backs. I know the full backs are extremely important these days to provide options going forward but it's like whenever we are on the ball, both FBs have to go forward and leave us with only 3 players at the back, as you pointed out. We would be better off if one FB goes forward, the other stays back. Two going forward rather aimlessly is just plain suicidal when we get hit on the counter, as we've already seen under AVB. And it doesn't help when you have Ivanovic who possess such a snail pace that any ball gets played behind his back and we are screwed. Happened so many times yesterday and it's unbelievable. Furthermore, I don't even know why he should go forward anyway. His crosses are so appalling that it just drives me mental every single time.

Said this before, Atletico Madrid did what we failed to do all night long. They attack as a unit and they defend as a unit. When they went forward, they attacked in numbers. 4-5 players all going forward, offering off the ball movement, creating space for others etc. When they have to defend, they retreat into their shape and keep things tight and compact. When they have to pressurize us on the ball, again they did it as unit, they hunt down in packs. Their defence was hardly troubled all night and Courtois was almost literally a spectator in goal.

From our perspective, we did none of that. All the good work from the Newcastle game just went out of the window completely. When we attack, there's only like 3 players or so going forward while a few others just jog into the field of action. Same thing happened when we had to defend. All the defending were left to the players behind while those further forward just jogged back and hardly looked interested in breaking a sweat to help out the defence. And perhaps the worst part of all is, we did not pressure Atletico Madrid whatsoever when they have the ball. We just backed off and allowed them time and space to turn and run at our defence. Think this situation was perfectly summed up towards the end. They had the ball and we didn't even put pressure on them whatsoever. We just allowed them to pass the ball around and run down the clock. Just absolutely pathetic!

I totally agree with you but i feel the cohesion displayed by Atletico Madrid doesn't come overnight. You have to admit we've had phases in recent games where we displayed that kind of ability. We just need some consistency which will come in time. We can only hope that too much damage isn't done before we get to that point.

It's a reality check but also for Ivanovic who although scoring 2 has been hopeless at the back all season. I don't think too many clean sheets will happen with Ivanovic and Luiz as part of a back 4. I'm so glad we have options, we can now hopefully change it and it basically says play like that and you can stay on the bench. Next game i want JT and Cahill together with Ivan RB but if he's defending like shit, bring Azpi on or even Ferreira to show him he's not cemented in the team no matter how he plays. I've never to this day seen Ferreira defend as poorly as Ivanovic has this season including pre season. It's a basic thing in football, if you're playing shit for a certain period, you get dropped! We have options, we better use them. Fuck this 'they're for the future' they're here and they have to show why. If they can't handle it, we should've bought better and more experienced then.

As for our double pivot....it's just hopeless. I've never liked the 4-2-3-1 and i never will. Ramires, Lampard and Mikel, if he reeeeeeaaaallly needs to play them, they go in a straight 3 along midfield in a 4-3-3. I don't think Man City will get that exposed with Javi Garcia and Yaya Toure there. We're putting Lampard there because he feels he has to fit him in the team somehow. As soon as we're against a good, young, quick, technical side, you don't see him. The game for his age is too quick for a Lampard in that position. Mikel.... well he finished last season well but atm i've just seen the Mikel from 2009 again slowing everything down, cruising through the game not breaking his back to do anything special and not even showing his physicality. His passing and tempo is shocking.

I'm not sure how we're gonna play against QPR but we can't play like that again. Passionless, desireless and quite frankly clueless and hopeless. It's ok to have the odd bad game but the time for that shit was not yesterday. Our teams been over hyped dramatically because we've won 3/3 against 2 relegation candidates and an over rated Newcastle team. We nearly lost at home to Reading and that 2nd half against Wigan was only ok because we had a cushion of 2 goals but the football was not good.

Robbie needs to ditch this whole concept of a double pivot and go back to tried and trusted 4-3-3 or go 4-4-2. I only say 4-3-3 though because we only have 1 pocksey striker.

Ramires is a central box to box midfield player. Lampard is a central midfielder too who makes late unseen runs, that's just what he does. He works hard for the team tho and does put in a good defensive shift. Mikel is a central defensive midfielder, he doesn't need a fucking clone next to him.

Hazard Torres Mata

Lampard Mikel Ramires

Or if he really has to use this fucked up shit annoying 4-2-3-1....

Torres

Hazard/Marin/Moses - Mata/Lampard/Oscar/Hazard - Moses/Marin

Ramires - Mikel

Ramires is no right winger. Lampard is no double pivot defensive partner.

Will Robbie change or think of this? No. This could fuck us up if we're not careful. I'd say that we're the 5th best team in this premiership atm after the transfer deadline. Arsenal have had 2 bad results but they seem to keep getting top 4 and they at least have a decent balance. They know their roles and are used to the way Wenger wants them to play. If their strikers start to fire, we can kiss top 4 goodbye again and this time we wont get bailed out by a Champions League miracle. It's nice to build a team for tomorrow but we still need to be challenging today otherwise tomorrow will be in a place we don't want to be (Ask Tottenham & LIverpool).

We've spent the most money in the transfer window but out of all of those players, who is first choice now? Hazard and.... ? Tottenham have bought established quality for today, for this season and i personally put them ahead of us now in this seasons battle. They've signed class all over the pitch who have done it in the prem and at the highest levels.

I hope Robbie gives the new players more playing time and stops playing players out of position. We have players for every position so use them. I just fear we've bought too many, too young and too many that Robbie wont trust immediately.

QPR A

Stoke H

Arsenal A

That's a real test. We'll only get 4 points from those games imo unless we try something different. We need Marin back because him and Moses are the 2 most natural wide men we have in the squad. If we continue to play the team we played yesterday, our league position won't improve much from last season.

But hey... that's all just my opinion. I like our signings and i'm excited for the future like i've stated many times but i'm worried about the shorter picture. We need UCL qualification this season and the next for this team to shine in a few years time. If we don't get it, it could all be a disaster. I'm not confident at the moment but i hope i'm wrong.

One word is enough to describe yesterday's game: Exposed. Simeone got his tactics spot on. Excellent job by the Argentine and his team for performing so well.

I'm happy this happened so early. The fact that we have a lot of work to do has been made very clear. Hope RDM isn't taking this too lightly, not even the slightest bit.

People talking about going from physical play to technical play being the reason for a defeat like this.. Uhm the Sunderland game? Games like this happen, no matter how you play. Accept it.

And Falcao is already among the striker greats. He is that good.

I am really disapointed with the result,but I think after the international break it´s time to concentrate on the QPR away game,the Rangers have a lot of quality in their squad right now.

Definitely a very poor performance from the blues. Our defense looked very sloppy. Atletico looked focused from the very first minute of the game. They clearly didn't wanted to miss a single chance of winning this game which is why they ripped us apart.

At least we scored one goal. That's still better than watching a 0-4 scoreboard! The boys have tried but it just wasn't our night. Let's all hope we can bounce back from this defeat and play extraordinary football once again. Good luck Blues :)

I never said they would. But it was still a pathetic, embarrasing and horrible performance. And this was actually an important game. First of all we've never won that title, and if we would of, it would have been historic.

I hate joke fans like this. And I don't care if you didn't support the team in 1998, if you want to talk like this you should at least have some knowledge of the club's history. Stuff like this gives our fanbase a bad name and furthers the idea that CFC begin (and will end) with Roman. Absolute joke.

I hate joke fans like this. And I don't care if you didn't support the team in 1998, if you want to talk like this you should at least have some knowledge of the club's history. Stuff like this gives our fanbase a bad name and furthers the idea that CFC begin (and will end) with Roman. Absolute joke.

Take a fucking chill pill. Last night I was drunk and pissed off. I still stand by the fact that it was an embarresement though.

And dont you even dare call me a joke fan. Ive been supporting Chelsea since 1999 (I was 11 years old at that time)

It looks like someone in the Chelsea management is on drugs.

1. Seems the team just loan players out without any plan. It is just not wise to be playing Bertrand in the attack during crucial games when Debruyne could have easily play that role perfectly.

2. Why loan Essien and Bena when these guys are not getting younger. Are we going to use them when they are in their 30s? If you do not need them, then why not sell them. By the way, what better qualities RDM sees in mikel that everyone fails to see.

3. Why always Lampard instead of Oscar or Mecharean? why should we loan a talented youngster to another team when he can perform better than others. Macheran would easily be a regular in the Arsenal team.

4. God forbid, if torres is injured we have only danny as a striker. No serious team wins with only a striker in the squad. Were Hulk, Schurle and Cavani the only strikers in Europe during the transfer period?

I didn't expect to watch such a poor and embarrassing game tbh. It's hard to find any positives aspects in our yesterday performance we have been destroyed by Falcao and his team-mates I don't remember when we were playin so poor last time, arsenal at home ? LFC away ?

RDM got around 2 weeks to sort things out and improve our tactics and also I hope that yesterday game will be a good lesson for our players.

Well done Atletico.

In 4 2 3 1 formation we improved attacking mids/wingers.

We didn't improve double pivot role ( no quality DM, no genuine playmaker who can retain the ball and dictate the game).

We didn't improve our striker options.

We kinda improved our defence, but only if Azpi is indeed good enough to become a starter.

In my opinion, in 4 2 3 1 we significantly improved only 3 behind the striker, which is good, but won't win us tough games single handedly.

We will see the best of our attackers, against difficult and easier opponents, only when we get world class DM/ playmaker and striker capable to convert their chances on regular bases. That is not the case now, so we should lower our expectations. I'm sure we will improve in January window and don't forget these players need time to gel.

This is transitional period no club can avoid when is trying to change almost complete team in such a short term.

My prediction is that we will fight with Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs for 2 CL places.

With Real as CL winner, 4th place would be fantastic achievement, for this season.

That is not me saying our team sucks. We have decent team with couple of talented players. Great, talented players like Hazard, Mata, Oscar are able to make their team mates better. But for that we need expert manager who is able to recognize strengths and weaknesses of each player and incorporate them into a whole with proper formation and tactics. And I wouldn't put RDM in that category. Not because of titles he won. Because of experience and consistency in good results he does not have , despite the titles he won.

Like it or not, we have team in transition and learning manager this season. Results will be consistent with that. As long as we are in top four, we are good.