The London 2012 Olympics

Hutcho

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.... now that is what you call impressive! I thought the German was gonna get him. OH NO YOU DON'T!

I was saying that i don't care about these Olympics but how wrong was i. I've really enjoyed these Olympics more than i ever thought i would. Talk about the perfect lead up to the football season to start. It has truly been edge-of-the-seat stuff. Suppose, being in London and having my work Schedule change to 4:30am-11:30am (and always leaving early) I've been able to sit through it and not miss a thing. Also thanks to the stunning opening ceremony, i got interested straight away after watching that emotional event. And i must also say, the 24 extra Olympic channels were a fantastic idea too and it has been good to see and learn about sports i've never really known before. So far, it's been a great event. Now we're into the last 4 or 5 days, there's still more to come.

Wow.... now that is what you call impressive! I thought the German was gonna get him. OH NO YOU DON'T!

I was saying that i don't care about these Olympics but how wrong was i. I've really enjoyed these Olympics more than i ever thought i would. Talk about the perfect lead up to the football season to start. It has truly been edge-of-the-seat stuff. Suppose, being in London and having my work Schedule change to 4:30am-11:30am (and always leaving early) I've been able to sit through it and not miss a thing. Also thanks to the stunning opening ceremony, i got interested straight away after watching that emotional event. And i must also say, the 24 extra Olympic channels were a fantastic idea too and it has been good to see and learn about sports i've never really known before. So far, it's been a great event. Now we're into the last 4 or 5 days, there's still more to come.

Couldnt have said it any better myself.

Over to Sir Chris Hoy!!

I've always wondered how a country could be in such an awful state as to give out knighthoods to sportspeople. Sir Alex Ferguson? Really? Sir Len Hutton? Sir Donald Bradman (though he doesn't really count, we didn't give him the knighthood, you did.)? And now this guy. Watch out for Sir Bradley Wiggins fairly soon; though the royal family will look right mugs when he's revealed as a doper in 2025 (mark the year).

damn. only one Gold for Vicky these games when she could have very well had 3. Mears the Munter elbows her way to victory..

Elbowing is perfectly legal if the maneuver executed by an Australian. Little known fact.

If you can't take an elbow or two you don't deserve to be at the Olympics. The world isn't made of bubble wrap.

So redundant, only because of that perverted jury, who can win a race after being screwed illegitimately. Screw the silver medal, that defeat hurts the most. Anna Mears is assured of my hatred for the rest of her doomed existance

Watch out for an elbow.

Seriously I wish English speaking countries would butt the fuck out of cycling. No Australia, no USA, no UK. So insufferably jingoistic about the sport, its not about nationality one iota and the jingoism presented by the three Anglophone powers, their riders and their supporters in the sport is disgusting. We're ruining the sport, if I had my way henceforth no American, Australian, or British individual or team would be permitted to race in UCI events again. Ireland and Canada can stay though.

Leave it to the countries that made the sport great, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Colombia, the Netherlands and to a lesser extent, France, Kazakhstan (thanks, Vino) and Ireland.

So much anger in this thread now lol. You should be happy, you're above New Zealand and level with the powerhouses which are Iran and North Korea, although this isn't quite waging war, it's nice for you none the less. We give people knighthoods out of respect to give them something back for what thet give to us as a nation. These people have worked tirelessly for years and achieved great things and yes, Bradley Wiggins certainly will get one soon too and he also deserves it. 3 Olympics' he's competed in, winning medals in each and winning the Tour de France and the Olympic time trials with weeks of each other. Of course he will be knighted, he's a fucking legend. These aren't just random sportsmen winning golds in shitty events which takes no work. This is in honour of GREAT sportsmen and women who have worked their arses off for more than 20 years and actually achieved their golds.

Pendleton or us never moaned about being hurt by an elbow. We moan that the use of the elbow was which caused Vicky to go slightly out of lane and lose balance but i for one acknowledges that Mears was the better sprinter and deserved to win the gold even if it wasn't really a nice way for it to unfold. It shoulda been 1-1 and one final race but hey ho, shit happens, she's still had a great career and should be proud of all she's achieved.

I can't see us winning many more golds now tbh, we're hopeless at athletics for some reason. Maybe boxing but we can relax now, our job is done.

I don't understand the British obsession with Australia, it crops up in every sport. The last time when we genuinely cared about losing to you was the 80s. We've had enough success in the last 30 years now that you're nothing more than historical rivals- akin to what City used to be a few years ago to United. We don't really even have teams to beat now (though we're developing strong rivalries with India in particular), we're so far ahead of all 3 of our traditional rivals. Finish in the top 10 and it'll be a success, no one here really cares where GB ends up. It's nice to beat you and a bit of a surprise when we don't, but no longer does losing to Britain in sport induce nationwide soul destruction, nor does victory cause public holidays or knighthoods. We've found bigger fish to fry, why can't you move on? It's not the 30s anymore, we're too good to be your yardstick. Stick with someone closer to your sporting level, like France. Perhaps Argentina.

We still do delight in cheating our way to victory though. There's nothing quite like beating a formerly fierce rival and doing it illegally. B)