AVB gone to Zenit

Tomo

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

http://www.barkinganddagenhampost.co.uk/sport/spurs_boss_avb_explains_what_went_wrong_for_him_at_chelsea_1_2249325

Andre Villas-Boas says he was naïve to try and introduce a new style of play at Chelsea – but insists he has matured since his unsuccessful stint at Stamford Bridge.

The Portuguese, now Tottenham manager, was sacked by the Blues in March last year after just nine months in charge.

Villas-Boas believes he was wrong to try and change Chelsea’s playing style and says he “should have respected” English football culture after his arrival in the Premier League from Porto.

“The Premier League is guided by this dynamic: ball lost - ball recovered - ball lost again,” he said in an interview with O Jogo.

“That makes matches unpredictable, teams must be objective and behave like that because that’s what excites fans.

“The aesthetics of the game come second to unpredictability, which is much more exciting than the predictability associated with possession football.”

He added: “We [Chelsea] were a counter-culture team, constructing play from the goalkeeper onwards.

“I should have respected that [England’s] culture from the start. I thought it was possible to establish a different game pattern in a country with a radically different culture.”

Villas-Boas says he learned valuable lessons at Chelsea and insists they have helped him develop as a coach.

“I respect it now,” he said. “I have become more versatile after the Chelsea experience.”

I wouldn't be surprised if PSG or Monaco try to get him sooner rather that later.

If their is one thing you cannot fault AVB for is his ambition and he won't accept merely challenging for 4th forever.

I never hated AVB and I didnt want him to get sacked, but I believe it was better for both parts. He got another chance to prove himself at a more experienced stage of his career and we got Munich and Jose Mourinho...

Fair play to him for acknowledging his mistakes, it grows my respect for him. AVB is still a great manager!

^ of course I meant that. RDM was a far more successful manager for us. Fair enough we kind of gave up in the league, but his win percentage was 57.15% compared to AVB's 47.5%.

Unlike stats for players, managerial stats are easy to diagnose. The more games you win = the better manager you are. Fair enough people will say Manager A has done a great job at Team Y because he had hardly any money to spend and got the best out of his players to finish mid-table, or Manager B did brilliantly to steady the ship and stop Team Z from getting relegated, but at a big club managers are judged on how many games they win, and what trophies they win.

AVB managed us for 40 matches, and won 19 of them. RDM managed us for 42 matches and won 24. In that time he won two trophies and fucked Spurs over 5-1 and, under AVB's tutelage, 4-2. That, for me, is enough to say at Chelsea, Roberto di Matteo is categorically the superior manager.

Okay, we suffered a few shite results under Robbie, such as the 3-0 at Juventus, losing 4-1 at Anfield and losing 0-2 at home to Newcastle, but we won the ones that mattered. Under AVB, do you recall the state of absolute dejection you felt after getting dicked over at Old Trafford; losing 3-5 at home to fucking Arsenal; then 1-2 in the league and the cup to Liverpool, both at home; drawing at home to Birmingham in the FA Cup; losing to Leverkusen and Napoli in Europe; losing to West Brom for the first time in about sixteen centuries, etc. etc. etc. - it was fucking dire. You never felt that sort of desperation under any previous manager since probably before I was born!

^ of course I meant that. RDM was a far more successful manager for us. Fair enough we kind of gave up in the league, but his win percentage was 57.15% compared to AVB's 47.5%.

Unlike stats for players, managerial stats are easy to diagnose. The more games you win = the better manager you are. Fair enough people will say Manager A has done a great job at Team Y because he had hardly any money to spend and got the best out of his players to finish mid-table, or Manager B did brilliantly to steady the ship and stop Team Z from getting relegated, but at a big club managers are judged on how many games they win, and what trophies they win.

AVB managed us for 40 matches, and won 19 of them. RDM managed us for 42 matches and won 24. In that time he won two trophies and fucked Spurs over 5-1 and, under AVB's tutelage, 4-2. That, for me, is enough to say at Chelsea, Roberto di Matteo is categorically the superior manager.

Okay, we suffered a few shite results under Robbie, such as the 3-0 at Juventus, losing 4-1 at Anfield and losing 0-2 at home to Newcastle, but we won the ones that mattered. Under AVB, do you recall the state of absolute dejection you felt after getting dicked over at Old Trafford; losing 3-5 at home to fucking Arsenal; then 1-2 in the league and the cup to Liverpool, both at home; drawing at home to Birmingham in the FA Cup; losing to Leverkusen and Napoli in Europe; losing to West Brom for the first time in about sixteen centuries, etc. etc. etc. - it was fucking dire. You never felt that sort of desperation under any previous manager since probably before I was born!

No I don't think it is that simple. You are forgetting that there were tons of other factors involved like the practical mutiny by some of our players against AVB who was, for me, rightly trying to replace them (Don't even try to mention the "bad man-management skills" BS). For me AVB is on a completely different level because he is superior tactically. He can actually build a system around his team. If you want to talk about "Big Clubs" AVB can be a long term manager at a big club while Robbie simply isn't good enough.

I never hated AVB and I didnt want him to get sacked, but I believe it was better for both parts. He got another chance to prove himself at a more experienced stage of his career and we got Munich and Jose Mourinho...

Fair play to him for acknowledging his mistakes, it grows my respect for him. AVB is still a great manager!

No. AVB is a manager with good-great potential. Don't get all this silly notion coming from people saying he's a great manager. He has the vision, ideas and how he wants to go about things but until he starts translating those into winning trophies consistently, he should and would not be considered a great manager!

No I don't think it is that simple. You are forgetting that there were tons of other factors involved like the practical mutiny by some of our players against AVB who was, for me, rightly trying to replace them (Don't even try to mention the "bad man-management skills" BS). For me AVB is on a completely different level because he is superior tactically. He can actually build a system around his team. If you want to talk about "Big Clubs" AVB can be a long term manager at a big club while Robbie simply isn't good enough.

Yet more self denials even after AVB admitted his mistakes. :rolleyes: