AVB gone to Zenit

Tomo

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that highest winning percentage is based entirely on the fact that Spurs are a much better and higher spending club than they've been. Redknapp was fired for finishing 4th the year before AVB was hired. AVB finished 5th and currently 7th so he actually performed worse than Redknapp. He was sacked not only because of the humiliating defeats but also because they have been brutal almost all year. This is a team that has scored 15 goals in 16 games which is playing like Stoke except they're also poor on set pieces. They have the 6th worst goal differential in the Premier League. They are an absolutely clueless team and were lost under AVB. They had three humiliating defeats in 16 games. The AVB as a quality manager is baffling. It's based entirely on one excellent season with Porto who had an excellent season before AVB got there and an excellent season after. He had two excellent job opportunities in England with teams that spent money and could compete for trophies (or at least CL spot for Spurs). These are the types of opportunities most managers never get. AVB is not unlucky. He's extremely lucky. Most managers don't get jobs at teams they can succeed at. The vast majority of managers manage teams they will never win anything at. AVB has had two excellent chances and failed miserably and was deservedly fired from both jobs. It's amazing to me how many Chelsea fans still support this guy. He was a disaster for Chelsea and really only got the Spurs job because of this absurd "young genius" aura he has cultivated (and apparently people still buy into). .

I agree with everything apart from the highlighted part, Porto had an awful (for their standards) season the year prior to AVB taking over, finished 3rd behind even Braga and got humiliated by Arsenal in the CL.

That's actually a fair point. But you also have to take into account that they've had a net spend of only £5m since he's been in charge. It's not like he's spent millions without losing players.

Just because he got 2/3 times more than he should have for Bale shouldn't excuse the fact he/Levy/Baldini wasted most of the money. If we get £30m for Torres, does that mean we should be cut less slack if we go and give Northampton £20m for Akinfenwa? (extreme example, but you get my drift).

Just because he got 2/3 times more than he should have for Bale shouldn't excuse the fact he/Levy/Baldini wasted most of the money. If we get £30m for Torres, does that mean we should be cut less slack if we go and give Northampton £20m for Akinfenwa? (extreme example, but you get my drift).

Of course not, but at the same time I think it's way too early to be writing their transfers off as (mostly) wasted money. The Bale money shouldn't even be relevant in response to TC's post about how their spending is one of the main contributors to his high win %. If anything, the points picked up last season has mostly attributed to that, with that % taking a hit this season after poor results.

I don't think Andre saw it coming so soon. Apparently, he had just arrived at the training complex with Christmas gifts for the staff when he was informed that he was he was going to get sacked. Even if you don't like the guy, you have to feel sorry for him getting sacked in this manner. All just rumors flying around, though, not 100% verified.

I don't think Andre saw it coming so soon. Apparently, he had just arrived at the training complex with Christmas gifts for the staff when he was informed that he was he was going to get sacked. Even if you don't like the guy, you have to feel sorry for him getting sacked in this manner. All just rumors flying around, though, not 100% verified.

That's a new low for the Spuds!

Anybody and I mean Anybody that sacks somebody before Xmas is a genuine cunt in my eyes...

Leave it till the New Year!

Christmas is about hope, family and celebration! NOT being made to feel like shit...

If there is a God, Karma, Allah, Buddah - I hope they are watching and Levy and Spurs get what they deserve!

January would have been fine, look at their fixtures over Xmas - even if I was manager I could grab some points...

That's a new low for the Spuds!

Anybody and I mean Anybody that sacks somebody before Xmas is a genuine cunt in my eyes...

Leave it till the New Year!

Christmas is about hope, family and celebration! NOT being made to feel like shit...

If there is a God, Karma, Allah, Buddah - I hope they are watching and Levy and Spurs get what they deserve!

January would have been fine, look at their fixtures over Xmas - even if I was manager I could grab some points...

Exactly! It's not like they already had someone lined up. They're going to hand the club over to the assistant till after the new year on any account, why not keep him till then while you look for a replacement? He's a human being after all.

When I think back to AVB's managerial tenure at spurs and his short one here, I'm reminded of that saying..."insanity is doing the exact same thing over again and expecting different results". I really feel for the man but this victimhood that some are placing on him is just....well kind of underserved. When your lucky enough to get a 2nd chance at managing a top five club in the EPL so soon after spectacularly failing at your prior stint and you're still not able to learn from past mistakes and adapt, then who can you blame but yourself? It wasn't just his stubbornness in persisting with tactics that were repeatedly resulting in disastrous outcomes - (i.e using a high-line with Dawson & Kaboul with Holtby in the pivot away at City and also using a high line with Dawson & Capoue against a striker like Luis Suarez), it was also his petty squabbles with the press and clashes with the fans - all mistakes that eerily mimics the ones he made during his time here.

My heart goes out to him, but as @TorontoChelsea already mentioned, considering the poor results he had here, he was incredibly fortunate to even be given that opportunity at Spurs in the first place, which he got on the back of one successful season at Porto. I think the fact that he achieved all that success in such a short amount of time is probably the underlining cause of his stubborn refusal to deviate from the tactics that worked so well for him at Porto. That one season at porto has hindered him more than it has helped him in the sense that it masked a lot of his naivety and limitations as a manager.

Still sad nonetheless. Don't think I'll be able to forget the look on his face when Paulinho got a red card...........

avbgifv8fn1.gif

Heartbreaking.... :(

Porto had an awful (for their standards) season the year prior to AVB taking over, finished 3rd behind even Braga and got humiliated by Arsenal in the CL.

I don't remember Porto having a poor Champions League campaign that season... I recall that they were trashed by Arsenal in the 2nd leg, but didn't Porto beat them in the first leg? Also think it's important to note that the season before AVB took over at Porto, Benfica were fantastic that season. But when AVB was appointed he was kind of lucky in the sense that Benfica had sold two key players in the summer - Ramires & Di Maria and then sold David Luiz in the Winter. So they were a weakened team while Porto had retained their key players. Things kind of just fell into place for him.

Well, he's only been a coach for four years... He will get back on track probably. He might have a chance at a Porto comeback because no one likes their current coach or I could see him at a team like Monaco with players he knows well.

He's 8 points off the top after changing three quarters of his team and losing his best player in the summer. I think the main reason was not the results themselves but by how much he lost the city and liverpool matches.

You can add that home lost to wet spam as well. -6 in the GD & you think he would have guided spudz into the Top 4? Come on now, let's be real.

AVB just made 16m after departing Chelsea & Tottenham over the past two years.

Sorry for my vulgarity here, but fuck me. A 4m in compensation to add a 12m pay-off from Chelsea. This dimwit can go back to his Portugal & never to work for the rest of his life. Just amazing.

You can add that home lost to wet spam as well. -6 in the GD & you think he would have guided spudz into the Top 4? Come on now, let's be real.

It was going to be very tough. But that would have been teh case regardless of who the manager is after the changes they made in the summer.