David Luiz

the wes

34 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Our defense was 'impenetrable' party because of the individual and collective performances of the 3 players playing center back but also the system and the fact Kante-Matic give so much infront of it. I don't think that its just David Luiz that has held the defense together like some would suggest, I would hate to imagine the team without Kante-Matic in front of it when we had that big unbeaten run because the work they did in their and the organisation as well was a huge help before teams even got in at the backline. Luiz's performances have been good, fair enough and he deserves to be in the team of the year but I feel the same as I did when we resigned him, we know he can have an absolute nightmare at times, over commit, overplay, lose focus, hes human fair enough and can make mistakes but hes still not much better than he was when we he left for PSG 2 or 3 years ago.  

I think he's been far better defensively than he was a few years ago. But recently he's having far more defensive lapses since February. He's the only one among the back three and wingbacks  who has significantly been lower in his performance level. Hopefully he picks up his concentration. 

4 hours ago, LAM09 said:

That's the character you want in any team. Clearly isn't at full fitness (probably having an op in the summer), but he gives his all and delivered today.

That was never in doubt after he played in the CL final with a hamstring (?) injury!

Would not take another CB over this guy. He is just brilliant. Even he is prone to the odd error like any other CB is because they are human, what he brings is priceless. Wins his duels, has a lot of pace for a CB, prob best vision/passing ability for a CB, scores the odd spectacular goal and just leads by example. He don't have the same hype for POTY like Kante and Hazard does, but he is certainly up there. Been magnificent this season and shut up a lot of people.

I remember after we lost to Liverpool 2-1 at the Bridge in September and post-match when they have their usual discussion, Carragher and co were stating Luiz was a panic signing, was not Conte's signing and he won't be first choice once JT is back etc. Bla bla bla :yawn:

Now look few months later. Best CB in league. To Carragher's credit, I am sure he has owned up and admitted he has been proven wrong and even stated himself Luiz could be POTY so respect that but hindsight is just a funny thing.

That's how you respond to a shit performance - with a world-class one. Couldn't do anything for the second Spurs goal as it was one of the most incredible passes I've ever seen. Other than that - imperious. Captain material. 

Should not be risked any further. He has clearly been playing through injury for some time now.

Ake is more than comfortable filling in for David. He should get a well deserved rest.

Some warrior this guy is, the fact that he was more than willing to play through the pain barrier for the cause has endeared him to me exponentially. In fact, this isn't even the first time, he wasn't fully fit for that night in Munich but who could forget his performance and that penalty? Absolutely massive this guy has been for us this year! I don't know whether it's the system or Conte or just the fact that Luiz has gotten more mature but at this point his signing seems like a masterstroke to me. Also, thank you Aurelio De Laurentiis!  

• 2 weeks later...

So happy for David. He came back for one thing and that was to win the Premier League with Chelsea. The only thing he didn't won when he was here in his first period. 

Still remember all the people laughing at us for re-signing him. Coming back with the objective to win the League and to achieve it like this. Wonderful. 

Don't think his game has changed that much. Conte obviously instructs him to stay back, so not many forward runs, but his weaknesses and virtues are all there. The system, as it should, protects and works for him.

WBA game had it all: poor anticipation attempt which almost led to a goal (thank azpi for covering); a great interception on an almost certain goal, and fantastic control and distribution from the back.

at one time he stopped a long ball with one touch before the bounce and in the same movement he passed he ball forward. When you need a goal and are in attack Luiz is probably the best CB in the world.

David Luiz spends £1M on supercar keys for Chelsea's title-winners... and Roman Abramovich's gift is forged from a 5bn-year-old meteorite!

David Luiz has spent over a million pounds to buy his Chelsea title-winning team-mates, manager Antonio Conte and owner Roman Abramovich unique, ultra-luxury souvenirs of their Premier League triumph.

Luiz, a first-time winner of the English title, splashed the cash for 30 wrist-worn supercar keys that were handed out at Chelsea’s Cobham training base on Friday morning.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4522408/Luiz-spends-1M-supercar-keys-Chelsea-title-winners.html