Spike

13 hours ago, Peace. said:

I would answer it by two things : (i) it is actually putting the emphasis upon the government which is a trap easy to fell for ; (ii) we are not enough putting the emphasis upon the individual in this debate.

I disagree with that because we vote in the governments to represent  us, and nearly every government is in the pocket of big business, fossil fuel corporations and especially oil companies. Yes, individuals have a responsibility to recycle, whatever, but that is a piss in the ocean compared to what corporations, oil companies and governments could be doing.

Thanks for the thought out and long reply ! BTW I am not a 'green' by any stretch of the imagination, but would like the planet not to be governed by greed and ignorance. :)

You could have went into your local traditional market and bought vegetables, fruits or meat — unpackaged products coming from a local production

I like France, and lived there for a while. I really miss the fact that every town and village had a weekly fresh produce market. Sadly in the UK vast swathes of the population only have supermarkets or something like Tesco Express. There are sporadic 'Farmers Markets' mainly attended by middle class people buying 'locally sourced' organic produce at inflated prices. So we don't have that option you have in continental Europe.

a collection of individuals ». We are responsible because : (i) we are actors of the mondialisation and we are legitimating it ; (ii) we are actors of the industrialization and we are legitimating it ; (iii)  we are actors of the consumption and we are legitimating it ; (iv) we are actors of the overpopulation and we are legitimating it. All the pollution is subsequent to that — to our physical actions and our ideologies as individuals. If oil is the fuel that causes the pollution of the environment, we globalized humans are the fuel that causes the combustion of oil.

Yes we're all individuals, but as I said, the capacity for change unless there is a collective will is negligible. We are beholden to big business and the whims of the oil greased palms of government.

how many solar panels would it take, according to you, to put into motion this « nutshell » ?

Solar panels were one of the earliest alternative energy options, and are effective in many scenarios. However if the trillions of dollars in tax breaks given to oil, nuclear and fossil fuel corporations were given to green energy initiatives and research, then I am sure scientists would have a clean air solution to most energy solutions

You know, if governments, big companies, oil companies and such love to burn oil, it is not because they have a deep and burning passion for this dark smelly substance ; or because they are fascinated by the colours in display when rays of lights pass through a smog — it is because oil is the only source of energy that can sustain and provide for our demands and our way of life, as individuals.

Yes this is true, but at what price ? The real danger for future generations in Trumps denial of climate change is that it ironically it lets his bogey man, China off the hook. They will say it's ok to continue to belch out billions of cubic metres of filth every day.

I will conclude by a little analogy. You want an omelette but you do not want to break eggs (shells). You do not want to do it because it is « bad » ; but damn you really desire that omelette. The only solution you have schemed to overstep this primary incoherence is to blame the eggs producer because he does not produce shell-less eggs while you are arrogantly eating a big fat omelette, confident in your innocence. The morality of the story is that if you want to stop breaking shells then stop eating eggs — it is not the producer’s fault to be unable to produce shell-less eggs and he does only supply you in your individual demands

That analogy is a bit simplistic, if you don't mind me saying so. OK if you were talking about car production or actual eggs, but sources of energy are a bit more complex. However I do agree with the 'stop eating eggs' bit. There is a massive over production of goods, and we all have too much 'stuff'. Incidentally this is what capitalism is predicated upon -production and growth. The problem is this growth is not sustainable, so in the end capitalism will eat itself - but usually they just create wars and start over. <_<

4 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

That article is from 2015... 

Who knows how he must think. Probably just go with it as many do by being flip floppers. 

Trump’s Cabinet is composed of various establishments. A large portion is drawn from the Davos class, the international bankers and chief executives who gather each year in Switzerland to celebrate the global system that has been rigged so effectively to their benefit. Six of Trump’s leading economic aides are from Goldman Sachs, backers of Hilary , and architects of the system that Trump said he would annihilate.

Only two of his Cabinet appointees joined him in office, the rest struggling to overcome questions about financial conflicts of interest, ideological extremism and simple competence.

Seems like hes building a swamp......

The world is now divided between protectionists and globalists.
The old divisions are dead and gone.
Junta against democrats gone.
Commies against the rest gone.
True the last named still hang about but they talk inane gibberish, nothing that makes the remotest kind of sense any longer.

The protectionist lobby basically want you to pay through the nose for everything.
In addition they want people to lose their jobs, shops, houses when they do not have the "right blood" or the "right colour of hair".

The strange think is what they hope to achieve ?  I wonder if some people have done their maths right.
I live in Athens Greece.
If I go around the house I will find many things made in UK. Machines, appliances and many books. Plus there are many other similar items thrown away during the years, because they became old and broke down.
If I go to England what sort of thing made in Greece am I going to look for ? Some feta cheese ? I 'm not such a great friend of feta cheese but even if I was I 'd probably have to travel some distance to find shops that sell feta. A watermelon in August, when they grow big ? A book maybe. Well, sometimes.
So what is the balance ?
Now I realize that those who might take commercial countermeasures against the UK and the USA are likely to be some political extremists. I 'll be in the first wave of liquidations, or the second one - most likely the first.
But that does n't change things. Does it ?
So I have the strong suspicion that the protectionist sympathizers have had the wool pulled over them.

Iran is banning US citizens in response to the executive order.

Ive seen posts from people saying they or a family member are overseas and are afraid they won't be let back in the states because they either hold citizenship in one of the banned countries or a family member visited family overseas and may not get back in. Seriously, how is this possible? The countries named on the list have not had a US terrorist come from those countries. Of course, countries in which DT have business relationships with aren't included.

@Sir Mikel OBE I remember you posting about a family member earlier in this thread. Have they worked out a plan in case they are targeted? I was hoping Trump's schtick would change once he was elected; but it looks like the power has solidified it all. 

Iraqis were banned in 2011 under Obama. Where was the outrage? Funny how the media can spin something so quickly. I'm not saying that justifies anything but all I ask for is intellectual honesty, criticism people for the same issues. It doesn't become okay just because someone else commits an action.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444370/donald-trump-refugee-executive-order-no-muslim-ban-separating-fact-hysteria

I had a horribly expensive and excruciating long wait to be legal in the USA. All I want is for people entering the country legally and illegally to face the same bureaucratic punishment I went through, otherwise I want by ~$10,000 back.