Chelsea vs Tottenham

Kieran.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will have to go more or less full strength. I'm nervous, losing to Tottenham at Wembley in the Carling Cup final was one of my worse games watching Chelsea.

Right back is a problem, no Ivanovic so Bos will have to play. I would normally prefer Ferreira but I remember Bale ripping Ferreira apart a while back, so it will have to be Bosingwa who does have the pace to deal with Bale. I'd play Cahill for this game, then play Luiz against Barcelona. It's a big game, so Drogba should start, however it's difficult because of the Barca game where Drogba will and should definitely be starting. Then again Drogba hasn't played much of late, so I'll go with Drogs, it's his type of game. I also miss Romeu.

I'd like to see something like this:

Cech

Bosingwa Cahill Terry Cole

Essien/Romeu

Mata Lampard

Sturridge Drogba Kalou

After a very poor season, a silverware as the outcome of it would be well appreciated. Futhermore, to win a trophy always create a good dynamic for the upcoming season. Considering the state we're in, we "need" this. Fortunatly, we are still in for two trophies. However, we do not have a squad good and deep enough to battle in those two competitions... We're facing a choice : should we go for the CL or the FA Cup ?

We do not have what it takes to beat Barcelona. Our squad does not possess the qualities required to foil the catalan engine. And even if the luck is by our side, we won't beat Madrid or Munich. Hence I really hope our board will act in a wise way, and will try to save our season (I.e. going all for the FA Cup) instead of being foolish by fighting for the CL while neglecting the FA Cup. Though, I expect them to favor the CL...

But once the semi-final on Sunday is over, we won't have to worry about the FA cup at least until May. Its only the first leg of the CL semi-final and this one that really stretches our squad options to its limits.

I suspect DIMatteo might go for an attacking (relatively, since none of his formations are really that offensive) line-up on Sunday, and a defensive one on Wednesday to prevent Barca from claiming an away goal.

But once the semi-final on Sunday is over, we won't have to worry about the FA cup at least until May. Its only the first leg of the CL semi-final and this one that really stretches our squad options to its limits.

I suspect DIMatteo might go for an attacking (relatively, since none of his formations are really that offensive) line-up on Sunday, and a defensive one on Wednesday to prevent Barca from claiming an away goal.

True, but still. We should forget the second leg. We won't get any result at the Nou Camp. If we want to go through, we will have to get a surprise result at the Bridge, where the narrow pitch will bother their passing game (the space will be narrower and thus it will be more difficult for them to pass the ball and to move freely).

We are a team which play very narrowly, even when playing on tight pitchs, due to our lack of wide men. Nou Camp's pitch is very big. We can't afford to go there with an attacking strategy... not with our abysmal passing game, we will leave them too much space. And we all know what happens when players of the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Alexis have highways in front of them. And we will be allowed only a few opportunities to shot on goal, since they will monopolize the ball. I mean, we can't go there with the necessity to score a goal to go through. No, if we want to stand a chance to go through, we have to go there with the possibility to only sit back.

Hence, if we aim the UCL final, we will have to hit them at the Bridge. I don't believe we have the physical resources to win two very big games in a short period of time.

True, but still. We should forget the second leg. We won't get any result at the Nou Camp. If we want to go through, we will have to get a surprise result at the Bridge, where the narrow pitch will bother their passing game (the space will be narrower and thus it will be more difficult for them to pass the ball and to move freely).

We are a team which play very narrowly, even when playing on tight pitchs, due to our lack of wide men. Nou Camp's pitch is very big. We can't afford to go there with an attacking strategy... not with our abysmal passing game, we will leave them too much space. And we all know what happens when players of the likes of Messi, Iniesta and Alexis have highways in front of them. And we will be allowed only a few opportunities to shot on goal, since they will monopolize the ball. I mean, we can't go there with the necessity to score a goal to go through. No, if we want to stand a chance to go through, we have to go there with the possibility to only sit back.

Hence, if we aim the UCL final, we will have to hit them at the Bridge. I don't believe we have the physical resources to win two very big games in a short period of time.

Yes, it will be very difficult.( Although in our recent history with them we have picked up draws, mostly score draws, against them at Nou Camp, albeit with a stronger team). I guess we can only hope luck plays a part in either one of these 3 fixtures.

Torres should start for this game so that Drogba can start against Barcelona.

I would do the other way round mainly because Drogba has a good record at Wembley in the FA Cup. 5 goals in 5 FA Cup appearances there.

Shouldn't really rely too much on statistics.

I know but the point is, Wembley seem to be Drogba's favorite ground to play at. He seems up for it every time, well at least judging by the past matches we had there.

I know but the point is, Wembley seem to be Drogba's favorite ground to play at. He seems up for it every time, well at least judging by the past matches we had there.

yeah but Torres will be too doggy against Barcelona and most of the Barcelona players will know his tricks considering they are international team-mates.

yeah but Torres will be too doggy against Barcelona and most of the Barcelona players will know his tricks considering they are international team-mates.

Aah, but Torres may also know their weaknesses and can use his pace(if he still has them) against the Barca back four who aren't exactly the quickest.