Mikel's tactical flaw

manco

The only problem with him is that he is slow to react to a quick build up.

Which is why Tiote would be a great buy to change it up.

Other then that, he is very useful for certain games.

So a team that wants to challenge for big honors needs to have 2 great DM in the shape of Mikel and Tiote.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem with him is that he is slow to react to a quick build up.

Which is why Tiote would be a great buy to change it up.

Other then that, he is very useful for certain games.

So a team that wants to challenge for big honors needs to have 2 great DM in the shape of Mikel and Tiote.

Having Tiote and Mikel would be fantastic but I don't see us buying him.

I don't rate Mikel as CDM, his postioning is average, he isn't aggresive, rarely makes succesful tackles.

This is what Xabi Alonso, one of the foremost holding players on the planet, has to say about tackling :

"I don't think tackling is a quality. It is... something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game. I can't get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don't understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn't a quality to aspire to, a definition. It's hard to change because it's so rooted in the English football culture, but I don't understand it."

I'd rustle up numbers on interceptions but it'd be fruitless trying to please blinkered fellas pining for a 'hardman'.

Lpool sold Torres, Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Meireles,...then they replaced them with Downing, Henderson,...yes, selling key players for big money is profitable, but only if you are ready to play next 10 years in places up to 7th in prem.

Selling Ramires, Mikel and other key players along with Kalou, Meireles, Bos, Ferreira, Essien, Drogba,...would ruin us and it doesnt matter who we would buy then. There would be completely new team and new key players, that would be disaster. Thankfuly some of the members here are not in CFC board because they would make such idiotic decisions, by selling Ramires and Mikel and...turn us into next Lpool or Arsenal. And I would never sell Mikel or Ramires for big money, not now when they are that good (some of you dont see that). Dont make mistakes like Arsenal by selling Cesc or Nasri, Lpool by selling Alonso, Barca by selling Etoo. Yes they bought Zlatan then who thought is best and they only fucked things up in barca...

Mikel is imperious. We need him so desperatly in our midfield. He may be not the most adventorous player but is solid in what he does. He breaks up play and frustrates a lot of opponent midfielders. Selling him would be the stupidiest thing since Real Madrid sold Makelele.

As for Ramires. I remember people wanting to get rid of him after his first season. They probably would like to swallow their words now.

Lpool sold Torres, Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Meireles,...then they replaced them with Downing, Henderson,...yes, selling key players for big money is profitable, but only if you are ready to play next 10 years in places up to 7th in prem.

Selling Ramires, Mikel and other key players along with Kalou, Meireles, Bos, Ferreira, Essien, Drogba,...would ruin us and it doesnt matter who we would buy then. There would be completely new team and new key players, that would be disaster. Thankfuly some of the members here are not in CFC board because they would make such idiotic decisions, by selling Ramires and Mikel and...turn us into next Lpool or Arsenal. And I would never sell Mikel or Ramires for big money, not now when they are that good (some of you dont see that). Dont make mistakes like Arsenal by selling Cesc or Nasri, Lpool by selling Alonso, Barca by selling Etoo. Yes they bought Zlatan then who thought is best and they only fucked things up in barca...

Well said, no team in the modern era can get away with completely shattering and rebuilding in one window. The process needs to be at a snails pace, over 3-5 seasons. We've got to accept that, 5 seasons of not always being in a position where we can win 4 trophies, and then watch the rewards of patience flow after that gelling period.

Of course, Roman has other plans :doh:

Finaly some sense...

No offenses to Xabi, but he would've been half the name he is, if it wasn't Mascherano tackling everything moving.Damn i miss Masch in the prem. :D

I dont like bursting bubbles but you do realise that for the last few years Xabi Alonso has been playing at Real Madrid without Mascherano beside him, playing primarily as Madrid's deep lying midfielder, not only does he do a key job on the ball but he does an essential role off of it. While Khedira is the legs of the midfield, Alonso shields the back four, not really through a terrific amount of running of tackling but through clever interceptions and intelligent positional play. I think Xabi is doing quite fairly alright without Mascherano, considering he has been a key figure in real Madrid's La Liga triumph this season.

As for Mikel, being someone who has never been on the Mikel love train I can absolutely sympathise with those who berate him. Yes he is slow across the ground, yes he is still plodding in possession and yes his positional play does sometimes seem somewhat perplexing. But full credit to him, he has been quite excellent since Di Matteo took over, the last fe wmonths have been the best of his Chelsea career.

This is what Xabi Alonso, one of the foremost holding players on the planet, has to say about tackling :

I'd rustle up numbers on interceptions but it'd be fruitless trying to please blinkered fellas pining for a 'hardman'.

I think that was one of the reasons why Makalele was so great, he read the game as opposed to going in head first. That was one of the reasons why Real Madrid never noticed how good he was, they would of given a pay rise to a player like Sissoko who goes in head first.

I dont like bursting bubbles but you do realise that for the last few years Xabi Alonso has been playing at Real Madrid without Mascherano beside him, playing primarily as Madrid's deep lying midfielder, not only does he do a key job on the ball but he does an essential role off of it. While Khedira is the legs of the midfield, Alonso shields the back four, not really through a terrific amount of running of tackling but through clever interceptions and intelligent positional play. I think Xabi is doing quite fairly alright without Mascherano, considering he has been a key figure in real Madrid's La Liga triumph this season.

I'm not commenting Alonso at his Real stay, i wanted to say that if it wasn't Masch lpool wouldn't have that trio and Alonso wouldn't shine as much as he did, and who knows he may never been transfered to Real.

About Mikel.I think we all accept Makelele was the most complete DM ever.He was faaar more aggresive compared to Mikel, had more pace to cover spaces and was much more clever in what he was doing compared to Mikel, all in all Obi is faar faar away from being good DM.

It's disappointing just how much better the respective discussion is on cfcnet.

Wow.

Meh, I'm used to the Mikel-debate never being discussed properly. As long as people hold a candlelight to Makelele's "untouchable" stature Mikel will never be appreciated for his pro's. That's not happening any time soon, so thankfully managers like Ancelotti, Di Matteo, Villas-Boas (to an extent) & Hiddink recognise what Mikel's contributions are to the team.