Mikel's tactical flaw

manco

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or has he improved greatly in the last 6 months?

Mikel has always been absolutely excellent at what he does. Even when he was blamed for our defensive weakness in the early AVB days, his passing accuracy was always above 85 and sometimes 90 %. Sure he committed mistakes in that system, but that was only because he was forced to play a game that didn't fit his style. He was a fish out of water.

I'm not commenting Alonso at his Real stay, i wanted to say that if it wasn't Masch lpool wouldn't have that trio and Alonso wouldn't shine as much as he did, and who knows he may never been transfered to Real.

About Mikel.I think we all accept Makelele was the most complete DM ever.He was faaar more aggresive compared to Mikel, had more pace to cover spaces and was much more clever in what he was doing compared to Mikel, all in all Obi is faar faar away from being good DM.

I think that if Alonso wasn't all that great then he would have been transferred out of Madrid a long time ago, as it happens he is one of the most important players in their team (as seen by the very high number of appearances he makes) oh and he also starts for reigning World Cup and European champions Spain.

Mikel isn't a great defensive midfielder, he is certainly a good one.

As for Mikel, being someone who has never been on the Mikel love train I can absolutely sympathise with those who berate him. Yes he is slow across the ground, yes he is still plodding in possession and yes his positional play does sometimes seem somewhat perplexing. But full credit to him, he has been quite excellent since Di Matteo took over, the last fe wmonths have been the best of his Chelsea career.

Yeah but Malouda had one great season as well, and instead of selling him we kept him and now look at him.....

Mikel does not fit as a big game player like a Yaya.

If we can sell him we have to buy someone better then him, not worse!

Javi Martines and Tiote are the only upgrade I would take.

Romeu is still a raw talent to count on, and we don't even know if he wants to go back to Barcelona.

Yeah but Malouda had one great season as well, and instead of selling him we kept him and now look at him.....

Mikel does not fit as a big game player like a Yaya.

If we can sell him we have to buy someone better then him, not worse!

Javi Martines and Tiote are the only upgrade I would take.

Romeu is still a raw talent to count on, and we don't even know if he wants to go back to Barcelona.

Im not campaigning for a statue to be made of Mikel outside Stamford Bridge, Im simply saying that he has played well the last few months (which, I think, it is generally accepted that he has). To be fair, Mikle is a bit younger than Malouda, Florent did have a couple of very good seasons in France when he was younger.

However Mikel's role is different than that of Yaya Toure's. He isn't a box to box midfielder, he could never play as a box to box midfielder like Yaya Toure does. If some mystical force gave me the power to control Chelsea's transfers and offered me the chance to offload Mikel for Javi Martinez then yes, of course, I would accept that. However if the (far more realistic) deal is that we would offload Mikel and have to pay 30 million for Martinez (30 million that cold be spent on positions that need to be improved upon far more than holding midfield) then Id rather just keep Mikel. Anyway who says Martinez would join, lots of top clubs are interested in him.

Yeah how about we also post Zidane's quote on Maka while we're comparing Mikel to him just so we make sure this discussion is stuck in 2009?

It's disappointing just how much better the respective discussion is on cfcnet.

2 years ago I was argueing with them like I was at this board... but I've decided to keep my mouth shut... I'm wait'n for mikel to make one error in the next half year, so everybody can smash him again... I'm thinking about some brazilians in special...

Is it coincidence Mikel got better only when the big players stepped up.Which leads to he isn't big player himself and isn't key player at all.He depends on others performances just like Malouda.Even 20 yers old Romeu, when he was on form was doing better then him, that has to say something.And dont tell me Ancelotti rated him - he was nowhere near the starting 11 in the big matches, actually the first time he was, at OT he played disastrously.And even AVB quickly realized that the boy Romeu is better then him.

Is it coincidence Mikel got better only when the big players stepped up.Which leads to he isn't big player himself and isn't key player at all.He depends on others performances just like Malouda.Even 20 yers old Romeu, when he was on form was doing better then him, that has to say something.And dont tell me Ancelotti rated him - he was nowhere near the starting 11 in the big matches, actually the first time he was, at OT he played disastrously.And even AVB quickly realized that the boy Romeu is better then him.

mikel is a safe option, a good shield for defence and he is improving. romeu is a more complete player aka barca product. still i feel mikel suits us better. knows when to slow the pace down, plus gives lamps and sometimes even the cbs the freedom to take a run forward. he is doin what he should be doing and should get atleast some credit for the barca show.

I wonder.. did you bother to read the post I linked?

He's been playing well since RDM came in = since when he started playing consistently again.

Has nothing to do with whoever stepped up.

U can't compare Mikel with Xabi or Pirlo, the later two have far better vision and long passes.He can't be compared to Maka aswell, because Makelele was much more aggresive and a natural ball-winner.Its very hard to rate Mikel but overall i don't like his game and dont rate him as key player.

He's a defensive midfielder. His only job when on the ball is to avoid making a mistake. There's no DM going around in the world who plays Hollywood balls every time they get the ball, not even Pirlo does that.

As was said by a guy on twitter as to what would happen if Guardiola took charge of England:

"No, no, no! Stevie! STEVIE! Short pass, no? Short pass? No Hollywood...no...no....NOOOOO! Can we not knock it, no? GARGH!"

"No, Stevie! NO! No Hollywood ball! Frank! FRANK! Ah, Mierda!" The FA will not appoint Pep Guardiola as national manager