Chelsea vs Napoli

BlueLion.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Need to keep the ball better. Too many passes went astray today against Stoke.

2. Playing a DM is a must. Paid a major price for not having one at San Paolo.

3. Whatever happens on Wednesday, want to see 100% effort and determination for this game.

4. Not being a pessimist here but getting KOed by Napoli may be a blessing disguise.

its been a long time since Romeu played might consider giving him a start...

---Cech----

-Iva-Luiz--Terry--Cole---

----------Romeu/Essien----

-----Ramires------Lampard---

-----Sturridge--DD--Mata----

Strikers and midfield is the key ... have to defend deep so that we don't concede goals ... If Lampard can't do a lot of running then we could play--

----Cech--

-Iva-DL4-JT-Cole-

------Romeu/Essien---

----Ramires--Mata---

-Sturridge--DD--Kalou--

who ever plays, we really need to watch out for those diagonal balls that napoli front three sneak behind our defense with. With napoli's seemingly poor defense, the key to progression will be keeping a clean sheet.

--------------Cech---------------

Iva------Luiz------Terry-----Cole

--------------Mikel---------------

---Ramires----------Lampard---

Sturridge---Torres---------Mata

Reasons for Selection

GK: Self-explanatory

DEF: I had to pause at the CBs. Cahill-Luiz have developed an admirable partnership, but we really need Terry's leadership. I chose Luiz over Cahill because, while Cahill may be better defensively, Luiz could be utilized more when chasing a tie like this.

Midfield: Against a quick team like Napoli, I prefer the use of a strong DM, like Mikel. Mikel's form has been top notch lately, so he gets the start. Ramires' speed will be extremely useful, as always. Lampard played his best game in a while vs. Stoke City.

Fowards: Sturridge and Mata were rested for this game, so I think it's self-explanatory. I chose Torres over Drogba because I believe he can be the difference, exploiting Napoli's 3-man defense.

--------------Cech---------------

Iva------Luiz------Terry-----Cole

--------------Mikel---------------

---Ramires----------Lampard---

Sturridge---Torres---------Mata

Reasons for Selection

GK: Self-explanatory

DEF: I had to pause at the CBs. Cahill-Luiz have developed an admiral partnership, but we really need Terry's leadership. I chose Luiz over Cahill because, while Cahill may be better defensively, Luiz could be utilized more when chasing a tie like this.

Midfield: Against a quick team like Napoli, I prefer the use of a strong DM, like Mikel. Mikel's form has been top notch lately, so he gets the start. Ramires' speed will be extremely useful, as always. Lampard played his best game in a while vs. Stoke City.

Fowards: Sturridge and Mata were rested for this game, so I think it's self-explanatory. I chose Torres over Drogba because I believe he can be the difference, exploiting Napoli's 3-man defense.

I'd agree with this.

If Lampard doesn't look like he can last I'd probably suggest Malouda comes on for him, stays in midfield and alternates with Mata in their position sense.

Juan Mata on facing them

'In football, nothing is impossible,' the 23-year-old said.

'At Stamford Bridge, this Champions League, we had good results in the group - 3-0, 2-0 and 5-0.

'All the supporters, for sure, will be cheering us.

'It's a final for us and I think we can do it.'

Napoli's strengths and weaknesses were laid bare during their 6-3 Serie A win over Cagliari on Friday night.

Mata added: 'From the first minute, we have to try to create chances to score.

'We know that they have very, very good strikers.

'We have to be careful with them but we are going to press them from the first minute.'

I reckon we need Mikel for this game. It's going to be one of those games where an early goal is absolutely vital, if we can score inside of 10 minutes we'll have them worried and nervous the whole night. I think we may not progress if we leave it too late, I can't see us getting up if we take say, 40-50 minutes to find a goal.

I reckon we need Mikel for this game. It's going to be one of those games where an early goal is absolutely vital, if we can score inside of 10 minutes we'll have them worried and nervous the whole night. I think we may not progress if we leave it too late, I can't see us getting up if we take say, 40-50 minutes to find a goal.

Good point, we really need to press them from the very first seconds. Remember when Carlo was here and we faced Inter at home, needing a 1-0 win to go through. Carlo's tactics were to be calm, not nervous, as we had 90 minutes to score just one goal. And how it ended...

When I mentioned Carlo, we played under him 3 games in the knock-out stage at the Bridge (Inter, Copenhagen, Man United) and we didn't score one single goal. So two years without a home goal in the knock-out stages. Time to change everything!

But everyone likes pasta :(

Good point, we really need to press them from the very first seconds. Remember when Carlo was here and we faced Inter at home, needing a 1-0 win to go through. Carlo's tactics were to be calm, not nervous, as we had 90 minutes to score just one goal. And how it ended...

When I mentioned Carlo, we played under him 3 games in the knock-out stage at the Bridge (Inter, Copenhagen, Man United) and we didn't score one single goal. So two years without a home goal in the knock-out stages. Time to change everything!

The thing with Inter was, Mourinho had it already instilled into them that they were invincible. From what I've seen over on the Napoli forum, their manager isn't the best going around plus they have a shaky defence. If we get an early goal we can make them extremely nervous, but if we don't, they'll grow in confidence throughout the match. It's also up to the crowd who're attending on Thursday, to make a lot of sustained noise, chanting etc. and intimidate them.

Guys, we're very very very very very afraid! What about your possible tactics? :ph34r:

You will probably score so we need 3 at least.

Given that. we need to have our most mobile and powerful players out there. Luiz, Cahill, Drogba, JT, Essien, Ramires and Mata would be certain starters for me.

I understand you play 3-4-3 away as well so you will definitely be dangerous on the counter

I think it will be a great match, Napoli's game is better away from San Paolo and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge finds the charge to play better. The atmosphere at the stadium i think will be exciting :D