Frank Lampard

DavidEU

My bad, that Brazil side I spoke of does not serve as a reference as they play in a completely different sport, don't they...

We just used three centre halves in our last game against Norwich. But that's not what I said, I said we need a box to box player who can also perform that function if or when we need it.

Lamps's performance today was as close to a DLP as it gets. Ramires was a little subdued in the first half, but Lamps made up for it. The defence had a shocker (except for Terry) and Mata and Willian weren't exactly effective, but our midfield really turned the game I feel. It might not have exactly been a quaity oppositon, but I have seldom seen Lamps making so many successful tackles.

Lamps's performance today was as close to a DLP as it gets. Ramires was a little subdued in the first half, but Lamps made up for it. The defence had a shocker (except for Terry) and Mata and Willian weren't exactly effective, but our midfield really turned the game I feel. It might not have exactly been a quaity oppositon, but I have seldom seen Lamps making so many successful tackles.

He did well in the second half, he couldn't trap a bag of cement in the first and was tugging players' shirts repeatedly, that said he was one of our best performers today.

Two things though, he needs to quit his long high balls, they are just not effective (yes, I know it worked last week with Ba), and he needs to allow the better players take free kicks as he's just wasting them.

But good display.

It will not be long now before Lampard signs a new deal ,jose spoke about him learning a new role, his passing on Saturday was sublime ,Jose thinks the same about Lampard as I do ,shrewd judges .

IS Lampard really getting a new deal?

I really hope not...

It will not be long now before Lampard signs a new deal ,jose spoke about him learning a new role, his passing on Saturday was sublime ,Jose thinks the same about Lampard as I do ,shrewd judges .

We are being linked with about 3 or 4 CM/DMs for as early as January, Smoke, fire, and all that...

Mourinho also lionised another player who developed under his tutelage, saying Frank Lampard’s new contract was one of the best pieces of business Chelsea did in the summer.

"I think everybody wanted it to happen," he said. "The club always wanted it; Frank always wanted it. When I came into the picture I was happy for him to stay. It was clear that the fans last season also wanted it. Let’s all of us enjoy Frank and let Frank enjoy Chelsea and his football."

The Blues coach also said that the “crazy Frank” who wanted to play every minute is now gone, but that is better for a “competitor” who he could never see playing in a lower-profile league.

"We have a great relationship," he said of the 35-year-old England international. "I trust him a lot but he also knows that he’s not 25 anymore. The crazy Lamps that wants to play every minute of a Carling Cup match against a team from the Championship or the crazy Frank that wants to break the record of appearances and play in every minute of every match is not here anymore.

"Now he wants to keep his performances high for the most seasons we can. We have to be clever and intelligent and protect these players that are over 30. We will do that naturally and I believe he will be a fantastic player for us.

"I told him when I was not Chelsea manager, just by being a friend, I told him that that I wouldn’t see him play for another English club and I wouldn’t see him play in another small league because of his nature.

"If he wants to go to the States or China or one of these new markets he can play until 40 no problem. But I don’t see that. I see a competitor. He wants to play at this level and I think that he can."

The only reason Lamps will not be with us next season is if he decides to go to America and when we sign another midfielder it will be someone to replace Mikel ,Jose sees Lampard as the same player as Zannetti who was 37 when he won the Champions League with Inter ,it will happen .