Frank Lampard

DavidEU

Mourinho also lionised another player who developed under his tutelage, saying Frank Lampard’s new contract was one of the best pieces of business Chelsea did in the summer.

"I think everybody wanted it to happen," he said. "The club always wanted it; Frank always wanted it. When I came into the picture I was happy for him to stay. It was clear that the fans last season also wanted it. Let’s all of us enjoy Frank and let Frank enjoy Chelsea and his football."

The Blues coach also said that the “crazy Frank” who wanted to play every minute is now gone, but that is better for a “competitor” who he could never see playing in a lower-profile league.

"We have a great relationship," he said of the 35-year-old England international. "I trust him a lot but he also knows that he’s not 25 anymore. The crazy Lamps that wants to play every minute of a Carling Cup match against a team from the Championship or the crazy Frank that wants to break the record of appearances and play in every minute of every match is not here anymore.

"Now he wants to keep his performances high for the most seasons we can. We have to be clever and intelligent and protect these players that are over 30. We will do that naturally and I believe he will be a fantastic player for us.

"I told him when I was not Chelsea manager, just by being a friend, I told him that that I wouldn’t see him play for another English club and I wouldn’t see him play in another small league because of his nature.

"If he wants to go to the States or China or one of these new markets he can play until 40 no problem. But I don’t see that. I see a competitor. He wants to play at this level and I think that he can."

The only reason Lamps will not be with us next season is if he decides to go to America and when we sign another midfielder it will be someone to replace Mikel ,Jose sees Lampard as the same player as Zannetti who was 37 when he won the Champions League with Inter ,it will happen .

That was from a few weeks ago. Jose is no fool, he is watching Lampard's performances, the way he was dropped for England, the extremely high level of mobility and fitness one need to possess to play in the pivot at a club as strong as ours. All of these things will aid him to see and evaluate Lampard's effectiveness in that position.

The articles/rumours talking about the players we are linked with are from this week. As for the comparison to Zannetti, that's more wishful thinking than anything else as physical dexterity, stamina and agility were never really among the many gifts Frank had/has as a player, that's why people should never compare him to Giggs, Maldinis and so on, the only veteran in our squad that I could potentially see playing at 37/38 ( other than Cech, as he is a case apart because he's a goalie) is Ashley Cole.

We would be a much stronger side if we had another world-class box to box player alongside Ramires. Our back four would get the protection it deserves and the attack would get the liberty and support it requires to be truly unleashed. As of now, it's unbalanced in both aspects.

You are right Jose is no fool and he has been watching and that is why Lampard plays and Mikel sits at home,what have you been watching?

Mikel has nothing to do with this discussion, he's just a convenient card you pluck out of nowhere to deviate from certain points you don't want to refute.

Other than that I've been watching an unbalanced Chelsea side that could be exponentially better were it to be rectified properly.

Bearing in mind all I've said about Lampard playing in one of the pivots, I'd have no problems giving him game time in another role (a more advanced one obviously as that's where his skill-set can be compatible with our pattern of play) where he would only have to close people down and press like any other of our attacking players without actually having to be pivotal to our defensive unit.

The beauty of it Phil, is that regardless of what we say here, our opinions bear no weight for or against as to what is actually going to happen in the future.

Mine do because they happen to align with Mourinhos ,jose does not look or listen to anything else but performances and Lampard will be signing a new deal,remember where you read it first and the only difference between Zanetti and Lampard is Mourinho rates Lampard higher.

Mine do because they happen to align with Mourinhos ,jose does not look or listen to anything else but performances and Lampard will be signing a new deal,remember where you read it first and the only difference between Zanetti and Lampard is Mourinho rates Lampard higher.

Then I think you're in for a shock as early as January.

I'd love to see what the other lads in here think of the prospect of Lampard getting a new contract if he is to keep a first 11 spot week in week out. The two fellas above seem to vehemently agree with me.

Well he has already seen off Mikel and a lot on here seemed to agree he was good,wrong again.

We do need another midfielder,he will not be A replacement for Lampard though,do you not listen to what Jose says?

So you're saying Ramires is gonna be sitting on the bench?

No I said Mikel has no future at the club and Lampard does.

Mikel isn't starting games Phil, he's not in the conversation at the moment. The names being speculated suggest they'd go straight into our first 11. We'll wait and see... as for now, let's hope for 3 points tomorrow and a Lampard hat-trick eh.

He was very poor again tonight, he left our midfield wide open like an empty and inviting avenue whilst Ramires as always did everything he could to cover the continental gaps Lampard didn't cover, on top of his own work load of course.

We, Torres aside, were generally poor also, we got bossed by a young Schalke side, especially in the first half, before they had to change their game plan to "desperation mode".

He was very poor again tonight, he left our midfield wide open like an empty and inviting avenue whilst Ramires as always did everything he could to cover the continental gaps Lampard didn't cover, on top of his own work load of course.

We, Torres aside, were generally poor also, we got bossed by a young Schalke side, especially in the first half, before they had to chance their game plan to "desperation mode".

Totally disagree, each to their own

We, Torres aside, were generally poor also, we got bossed by a young Schalke side, especially in the first half, before they had to chance their game plan to "desperation mode".

I will expand on this nonsense ,how did he leave our midfield wide open? ,he and Rammy played a very disciplined role in a team that was set up to counter he still managed to play some clever forward passes and was a tireless runner in a team performance he isnt going to score from the role he is playing.