Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

On 05/10/2020 at 9:10 PM, Jason said:

I would not have predicted it about Wiltshire but I never rated Gotze right from Dortmund 1 and said so. Another I never rated is Draxler but he's still getting good gigs which I have to admit surprises me. I'm still a non-believer though. 

7 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I would not have predicted it about Wiltshire but I never rated Gotze right from Dortmund 1 and said so. Another I never rated is Draxler but he's still getting good gigs which I have to admit surprises me. I'm still a non-believer though. 

What was it about Gotze that made you never rate him out of curiosity? Still think those 2 seasons at Dortmund where they won the Bundesliga he looked like one of the best youngsters to emerge in a long time. Just looked like he oozed quality in everything he did. Wilshere also, was clear to see at Bolton and that game v Barca he was outstanding for Arsenal. But injuries and continuously not having a designated position ruined him - was he going to ever settle and be either a 6, a 8 or a 10? played in all those roles over a period and never settled in one. 

On 07/10/2020 at 2:06 PM, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I have an acquaintance that is a Tottenham fan. We were talking and he is saying he is concerned they are betting the team on making top 4. Something to do with the government loan they took and are using it to bring in players. If they don't make top 4, they will not be able to keep the players they have and it could effect their staff also. Is this an exaggeration, or is there truth to this? 

Daniel Levi and the people he works for are for too shrewd to make reckless gambles. I'm quite certain they have parcelled their cash-flow carefully around the loan repayment schedule. I suppose there must be a schedule but, if push comes to shove, the government will bust a gut to protect the Premier League. It's worth billions in tax revenue and value added to the economy. I'd say there is no danger that this story is anything other than someone adding 2 + 2 and making 700..

37 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

What was it about Gotze that made you never rate him out of curiosity? Still think those 2 seasons at Dortmund where they won the Bundesliga he looked like one of the best youngsters to emerge in a long time. Just looked like he oozed quality in everything he did. Wilshere also, was clear to see at Bolton and that game v Barca he was outstanding for Arsenal. But injuries and continuously not having a designated position ruined him - was he going to ever settle and be either a 6, a 8 or a 10? played in all those roles over a period and never settled in one. 

To be fair, I can't remember the detail but I know that I always preferred Kagawa. Those were my peak Bundesliga watching years because I basically watched every Bremen game that didn't clash with a Chelsea game and got quite heavily into the league as a consequence. I may try to find some of my old posts to remind myself but it was probably that I felt he was more hype than substance, more flash than effectiveness. That's lacking in detail I know but it is a pretty common view I come to with footballers. For example, it's the view I had about Kennedy the first time I saw a youtube highlights video of his, and ditto about Benrahma of Brentford. Despite all the hype I am completely unsurprised that he's still in the Championship.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, Special Juan said:

I think Everton will always just be Everton, James is finished for me, last big hoorah in a top league and they keep throwing money about but on players that are just failures.

Moise Kean, Iwobi, Tosun to name a few, can't see much changing with James, Doucoure and Allan. But that's just my opinion. They won't finish higher than eighth.

So what is your thoughts on Everton now? 

I don't think they will win the title but they might push higher than 8th. Probably do something similar to what Leicester did last season. 

14 minutes ago, Azul said:

We desperately need a LB backup in January. Alonso and Emerson are simply not good enough. Hopefully the club see this and decide to invest.

Think it will happen unless one of the two magically regains form. There is no way Lampard rates either. 

Can't see it myself.