Newcastle 0-3 Chelsea

BlueLion.

The only person exaggerating anything here is 'The Big Drog' :lol:

In both their last four starts, Torres has 2 goals and an assist. Drogba has 1 goal.

So how exactly has Drogba been a lot better than Torres? i'm lost :P

The 2 goals you are referring to are at home against Genk, the weakest side we have faced this season. On the other hand, whenever Torres is on we would be practically deffending with 10 men, not to mention that he very rarely gets involved in build up play. At Liverpool he used to make up for all of that by having great movement off the ball and by being the best instinctive finisher in the world.

While Drogba, even a past-it and not-in-his-day Drogba, offers some valuable assets for the team that no one else can provide. First he is our best FK taker. Second, and this is very important especially with our recent defensive issues, his set piece defending is second only to JT in our squad. Third, when we are off the ball, he is always closing down on the oppositions defenders, preventing their mid-field from making back-passes. And finally, and probably most importantly, DD gives the whole team the option of the long ball (this probably most helpful to Cech) which really gives our attack a new dimension. What Drogba still is, despite his age, is the best target man in the league; If a player is in trouble, he can just lump the ball forward and there is atleast a 50% chance that DD will get to it before the defender and use his physical strength to bring it down and keep possession. His first touch might be slightly off, but when he does get it right you get something like the goal he got against Bayern.

Anyone who thinks DD can't benefit the team more than Torres needs to watch the Wolves game again, in my opinion.

Can't really see how any of you can defend either Torres or Drogba !!! the fact is they are both shit atm that you can't really decide who has been shittier as each of them had his fair share of shitty moments .

Well, you have to choose one of them, or at least AVB has to. Sturridge is a great striker, but cannot play alone upfront.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2 goals you are referring to are at home against Genk, the weakest side we have faced this season.

I thought that was Wolves?

On the other hand, whenever Torres is on we would be practically deffending with 10 men,

Fair point.

DD gives the whole team the option of the long ball (this probably most helpful to Cech) which really gives our attack a new dimension. What Drogba still is, despite his age, is the best target man in the league; If a player is in trouble, he can just lump the ball forward and there is atleast a 50% chance that DD will get to it before the defender and use his physical strength to bring it down and keep possession. His first touch might be slightly off, but when he does get it right you get something like the goal he got against Bayern.

He has hardly been doing this right this season.

-

I'm not even trying to defend Torres (read my post on his thread) i just don't get why some people think Drogba has been a lot better than him?

If i had a choice, both would be on the bench.

He has hardly been doing this right this season.

I watched the wolves game 3 times and thought he dad that very very well throughout the game.

By the way, I'm not saying that Drogba has been good this season. He is after all a striker and his main objective is to score, something he has been woeful at this season. I'm just saying he has been the better of the worst because he can contribute to the team other than just scoring goals. Whereas when Torres is not scoring, he adds very little to the team performance.

I watched the wolves game 3 times and thought he dad that very very well throughout the game.

By the way, I'm not saying that Drogba has been good this season. He is after all a striker and his main objective is to score, something he has been woeful at this season. I'm just saying he has been the better of the worst because he can contribute to the team other than just scoring goals. Whereas when Torres is not scoring, he adds very little to the team performance.

Yeah he was good against Wolves - then again i can bring up this excuse "at home to the weakest side we have faced this season" :lol:

If Mikel doesn't play tody then its like bye bye to a royal servant...

I think he will play Romeu today again... also I have to say there is no justification in the plaudits the lad has gotten instead of Mikel... I dont know how to set a Chalkboard in here but I will just compare the game against wolves of Romeu and his passing areas with them of mikel with screenshots... so maybe some ppl will accept that they just hate mikel with no justification what so ever... remember how often he has played even so he hadn't too, the kidnapping of his father whatsoever...

then there is the Point with Drogba and Torres... Torres has let us all down the whole time... and Drogs wont pen a new contract, this means we have one striker that is not in the mood and an other one out of form, Drogba seems to have set his sights somewhere else... And Torres looks like a 17 years old in his decisionmaking...

sorry guys don't know how to embed... ist a faire comparison... Wolves for romeu and WBA for Mikel... not say'n romeu is bad at all really I like him he plays gr8 but also its a joke if you see the numbers to call him better than mikel...

http://www.guardianchalkboards.com/guardianchalkboards_embed.swf?chalkBoardID=P1S0b7UfCfM2VI025m8r

http://www.guardianchalkboards.com/guardianchalkboards_embed.swf?chalkBoardID=Z8k91x964gFy68P578y2

I'll just trust and go with AVB's call on the Torres vs Drogba decision, since he's up closer and is the best judge of their attitude and performance on the training ground and during games. Although I do hope that whoever he does, actually steps up and delivers since its about fkin time.

For me, our approach should depend so much on what the other 9 can do. AVB needs to pick however can link up better with Sturr (our to-be goalscorer today IMO) , and Mata who hopefully will play in the traditional position for a number 10.

You could watch that game a thousand times and he'd always be good because he had a good game. As I said a page or so ago, that's probably been his best game this season. On the whole, he has been poor and whilst people might not like it, he has been worse than Torres. We need to watch the game and read the sats, not one or the other. When you do that, Torres has been the better of the two. However, he's been rubbish too, but to say in your other post that he's not good off the ball isn't really true. Watch him, you can see that he is, but whenever nothing falls to him, what can he do?

The Torres gets no service argument is old, because the whole topic is old. But unfortunately it's true. You can't chastise him because at Liverpool he made up for his lack of team play with his movement and goalscoring, when he now plays in a team that can't utilise him. He'd be doing just as he did at Liverpool, or at very least attempting to if we could use him. But we can't.

It's really why I can't get annoyed with him most of the time. It's easy to get angry with Drogba because he does fit in to the team we have. So when he under performs you're left scratching your head. Torres doesn't, which is why a lot of people are more forgiving of him. And because they can see that a lot of his problems are not just his, but team problems.