What needs to be done in January

Wilson

If we get a right winger, where will it leave Sturridge? He must play, but in this case we will either buy a benchie or Drogba and Torres need to be dropped in order for Studge to play CF... I can't see Danny being benched, he's been too good and it would be injustice to drop him. At the moment our wings are covered (true, Mata isn't a winger, but he is listed on the team sheet on the LWF spot).. but we have no backup for them. With Anelka and Kalou leaving and Malouda soon following their footsteps, we will have to sign at least 2 wingers... Either way I'm afraid one of them will push Daniel aside.. and with a 50Million non-striker ahead of him, he would struggle to get into the team. Although maybe having more competition wouldn't be so bad..

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quality left winger (preferably left-footed), a quality CB, bring back Kakuta from the useless loan (to use as a back-up) and switch to a 4-2-3-1 formation would be enough to secure us a spot in the top four I think.

And then go on rebuilding the squad in the summer.

I'd prefer someone right-footed to play on the left.

Nahh I'm not a big fan of having both wingers in the side cut in. I'd like one to stay out wide, stretching play and play in crosses, curling away (the crosses I mean) from the GK. We already have a inside forward in Sturridge.

Though of course buying a winger who's very comfortable using both feet, able to cut in and go around the fullback would be even better, but they are rare.

The main thing is to either get a quality starting left winger which would allow us to move Mata into a central position or buy a CAM with Mata staying in his current position. A centre back is also pretty important. Though we have to remember it is January, the heavy duty squad rebuilding should be done in the Summer. I would be more than content with just a winger/CAM and a centre back.

Nahh I'm not a big fan of having both wingers in the side cut in. I'd like one to stay out wide, stretching play and play in crosses, curling away (the crosses I mean) from the GK. We already have a inside forward in Sturridge.

Though of course buying a winger who's very comfortable using both feet, able to cut in and go around the fullback would be even better, but they are rare.

You have a good point.

A faster version of Mata on the left... :yes:

I actually like Mata on the wings, he gives us a lot of creativity from the wings. Our midfield already struggles with a three man midfield, it would be disaster with two a man midfield.

Mata already struggles with tracking back and helping Cole with defensive duties. He would be asked to do a lot more in a CAM role, he would have to play deeper and work for our midfield. It might make him less effective tbh.

Mata is playing great currently, lets not try to change sometime that is already working great.

I have to agree with Joker10 , Mata is incredible on the left wing because he has more freedom , less defending duties and a lot of spaces between the lines to drop into . he will be restricted from all that if moved to CAM , if you have read the last superb analysis of carefree-chronic you will see that Mata gave us an advantage when dropping into midfield because we already had three midfielders , I know it worked wonders with valencia last season but let's face it this is not the Spanish league.

But i still think we need a winger in January but with different qualities like pace and trickery , rotating sturridge , Mata and the new winger will keep our wingers (the only spark we have now) always fresh , and it will give us more options and will add more unpredictability to our game , Remember Joe Cole , Duff and Robben ....

Well this is what Daily Fail say, the article isn't actually what we should do but it has alot of what could be done potentially: (It has some facepalm moments):

http://www.dailymail...B-axe-more.html

If AVB wants to get rid of Drogba, then what's the point in him starting 4 of the last 5 games?

And i think Drogba said recently he was going to see out his contract, so....

Lampard, romeu, ramires, meireles, essien will be back. And for "small teams" we got josh aswell.

fair enough but essien's last 3 seasons have not been consistent. josh needs to be shown some trust and lampard will be 34 next season... so selling mikel will prompt us to make a big buy next season if we do sell mikel. but the positive is we may have a good player of avb's choice rather than mikel.

don*t know guys somehow I reall ylike KPB and hes haveing a great season with Milan at the moment... I know vids are poor for judging players but I really like his way and he wasn't bad for two years now either... I always told I cant understand why ppl dont rate him...

may be come over here to take over from mikel or a younger Version of mereiles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZoMAsMOAX4