Penalty takers

Wilson

Who should be our third choice penalty taker (after Drogba and Lampard)?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who should take our spot-kicks? (Remember good penalty takers such as Kalou and Malouda aren't always on the pitch...)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will bet my soul Torres would make it, he needs to believe in himself

He should stop giving the eff what the media and other people say about his taking chances and missing them when he has fans behind him....

this is wat is irksome ... the fans are expecting so much and have been so patient ... he should take the risk ... you won't learn to walk unless you fall...Torres won't get back his old form unless he tries :)

Kalou. Postage stamp everytime. Will stick with Mata. He just needs to practice more of it from Lampard.

And on hindsight, thank goodness Lampard took the penalty against Man City. Mata's style of penalty taking seem more about technique and placement rather pace and power like Lampard does most of the time.

How is it patronising for a striker to take penalties? :blink:

Torres is not a charity and he is not a penalty taker. If he should take penalties, why shouldn't Mikel? Or Ferriera? There is no reason for him to be our penalty taker, it is just us taking pity on him, sympathising with him, and I doubt he would even want that sympathy. At his best he never took penalties for Liverpool and then when he's in the worst form of his career suddenly he should take pens for us.

Lampard is not good at pens anymore. He has missed around half of them since the miss at city a couple of seasons ago.

Torres is not a charity and he is not a penalty taker. If he should take penalties, why shouldn't Mikel? Or Ferriera? There is no reason for him to be our penalty taker, it is just us taking pity on him, sympathising with him, and I doubt he would even want that sympathy. At his best he never took penalties for Liverpool and then when he's in the worst form of his career suddenly he should take pens for us.

Lampard is not good at pens anymore. He has missed around half of them since the miss at city a couple of seasons ago.

And you therefore contradict yourself. It isn't patronising to offer a striker the chance to take a penalty, many of the world's best strikers do it for their teams, look at Rooney for instance. We only really have one reliable penalty taker in Drogba, whilst Lampard is still pretty good at them (he has an 87% success rate from the spot, I won't complain with that). But beyond that we need alternatives; Mata is too risky with his style of penalty, so we need someone else who can step up to the mark.

I didn't mean it is patronising because he is a striker, patronising for giving it to him only because he isn't scoring. Even then he clearly does not want to take them, why should we force it on him? I personally would be happier with a good performance from Torres and no goals or assists then a bad performance where he scores a penalty, and I know which one would give him more 'confidence' as well.

Lampard used to have a good record from pens but as I said has missed around half of them since the City miss 2 seasons ago.

• 4 months later...

Alright then, Mata sucks bad in penalties. And I wanted to see if Torres takes penalties, but that might never happen.

Now that we got Hazard, it will be worth a shot to see how he does for penalties.

I still like David Luiz, but I can't negate the quality Hazard got, and thus will get first dip after Lampard.