Lasting flops

manco

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Mikel is a decent passer, but it's an overestimation saying he is our best passer. Most of his passes are sideways or low-risk short passes, he doesn't often attempt long-range passes. In terms of accuracy and vision I think Lampard and McEachran surpass him. I'm pretty sure Mata and Meireles won't disappoint either, with those 2 we have signed formidable passers and I think they are better than Mikel in that department.

I agree. I meant statistically. But tactically his short side-ways passing is very important to setting the tempo and breaking down enemy defenses.

Ok, Mikel is a decent passer, but it's an overestimation saying he is our best passer. Most of his passes are sideways or low-risk short passes, he doesn't often attempt long-range passes. In terms of accuracy and vision I think Lampard and McEachran surpass him. I'm pretty sure Mata and Meireles won't disappoint either, with those 2 we have signed formidable passers and I think they are better than Mikel in that department.

And what is wrong with low-risk short passes? Isn't that the way how to keep possession?

Romeu is similar to Mikel, so you who are hoping for something different are going to be disapponted.

Also the fact that Mikel slows down our play isn't true.

And what is wrong with low-risk short passes? Isn't that the way how to keep possession?

Romeu is similar to Mikel, so you who are hoping for something different are going to be disapponted.

Also the fact that Mikel slows down our play isn't true.

Did I say something was wrong with low-risk passes? I just brought that out to show why statistically his passing accuracy is so good and to express my opinion on why he is not the best passer in the team, but just a decent one who does his job accurately most of the time. Centre-backs and defensive mids are usually instructed to play it safe on the sides or short through the middle in order not to lose possession in own half.

By attempting foolish long pass will lost possession if you can't 100% get to their feet,you need to appreciate Mikel work for his defensive efforts.

But i got to agree 1 bad point about Mikel; as Mikel is a generally slow DM he tend to out run by fast midfielder and sometime when he was out-run he tend to make foolish tackle, but i think that overally he is a great DM, and he could be a world-class one if he show more confident not much sulking.

You are good at quoting statistics ,,the problem is you just make them up ... Does little good for promoting your case

I was speaking generally, I saw him not marking goalscorers more that accurate tackling. He's too slow

It's quite common really, a lot of my friends say the same stuff about Mikel but they simply don't understand his role or watch the games. He's not meant to be attacking or scoring goals like Iniesta, but is a Defensive Midfielder. IMO The lack of glamour surrounding his playing position, and him as a person further perpetuates a farcical notion that he "shit" and "not good enough". Yes he's not going to be starring in any new Nike or Adidas campaigns soon, but a player in his position rarely does, fact is he's still good at what he does.

I think Mikel is a solid defensive midfielder, he just needs more games to get used to it, which is natural for defensive midfielders. Only thing about Mikel and it's very frustrating is that he makes many mistakes, silly ones, and what pisses you off more is that they score from a free kick, and he was the one who badly challenged them or he mis controls it and it goes to the oppesition, he just makes silly mistakes like this, i think he will get better though. Mikel made a great tackle in the Norwhich game, which prevented the player from having a one on one with the keeper. Kalou, yes he's useless no doubt about it.

And Ramires, well at the start, everyone here was having big faith in him, he was very shakey, he made mistakes, gave the ball away a lot, and i got impatient and pretty much just got sick of him, but come next part of the season he got much much better, i'm not joking but he's like a one of the best players in the world when he goes for it, that goal in the Man City match, just unbelievable, he makes good runs and gets through the oppesitions defence, just like he did against United, when Evra snapped him in the box and it wasn't a penalty. Ramires is a very good player now, he adds something extra to the midfield, i don't know what this talk is with Mikel and Ramires not working together, i don't think it's that at all, it's Lampards position what is put at waste i'm afraid.

Mikel is a better passer than Lampard and McEachran. Lampard used to be our best passer, but after that injury, his passing hasn't been half as good as it had been. McEachran, on the other hand, has great vision, but I think his passing accuracy isn't quite as good as Mikel's yet. I just wish he would play in a more advanced position where he can launch more forward passes.

I was speaking generally, I saw him not marking goalscorers more that accurate tackling. He's too slow

He's a much better marker and tackler than Ramires, or any other midfielder we have (except maybe Essien although he is horrible at slide tackling), but I agree with you that he is awfully slow and think he shouldn't play in that DM role when Andre looks to press forward all the time. But does that make him a flop? True, his concentration level is questionable at times and he's not that great with his head. Nonetheless, he has most other qualities a defensive midfielder needs. He's disciplined, composed, strong, technically talented in terms of ball control and passing, and most importantly, consistent. The role he plays is a difficult (there is a reason why they call it the Makelele position when there's no Maradona position or Pele position) and the most important one.

Pointing out and analyzing a player's weaknesses is understandable and encouraged, but there's no need to pick on a player, exaggerate his flaws and call him a lasting flop,

unless he plays for Arsenal.

It's quite common really, a lot of my friends say the same stuff about Mikel but they simply don't understand his role or watch the games. He's not meant to be attacking or scoring goals like Iniesta, but is a Defensive Midfielder. IMO The lack of glamour surrounding his playing position, and him as a person further perpetuates a farcical notion that he "shit" and "not good enough". Yes he's not going to be starring in any new Nike or Adidas campaigns soon, but a player in his position rarely does, fact is he's still good at what he does.

Let's look at his performances this season,

Played well against Stoke but still made a howler.

Average game against West Brom (like the rest of the team)

Same against Norwich but again made a mistake.

The mistakes he made against Stoke & Norwich will be punished against superior teams than them. Alan Shearer highlighted on motd our problems at the back where both West Brom & Norwich got in behind us on several occasions, this admittedly is not Mikel's fault alone, however its his job to provide defensive cover & is supposed to mop up infront of the back four amongst his other defensive duties. We were lucky against 2 supposedly weaker teams, we won't be against the better sides if we continue to defend like we have been so I wouldn't go as far to say he is 'good at what he does'

Last comment about Mikel as I'm fed up with the monotony, decent squad player but he will get exposed by quick players, quick thinking attackers & the sides with quality will find him out. I won't get drawn into the slow distribution thing either - done that!

Damn you FA!

Do you not see what this stupid international break has done the innocent minds of these new members!

They cannot comprehend that the real Chelsea owner is Kalou himself! And that Roman is only the pawn in his great plan! And with his peachy ass he shall toot the tune of devour-hood!

People who hate on Mikel don't understand his role.

Even if you understand his role and appreciate his job for the team.... do you feel this graphic is true? If So then are his scores good enough and can he EVER be an 8 or 9 in most departments in the future?>

343j5o9.png

Even if you understand his role and appreciate his job for the team.... do you feel this graphic is true? If So then are his scores good enough and can he EVER be an 8 or 9 in most departments in the future?>

343j5o9.png

I wouldn't trust any of the stats from Goal.com as far as I could toss'em into a bin....

343j5o9.png

whoever gave those rankings ...I will rank their rankings

imagination 9.5

accuracy 0.5

scientific measurements 0

to sum up BULLSHIT