Defending Villas-Boas

The business that ultimately funds the signings? Gourlay does a decent job on the commercial side, and without that, I doubt Roman would keep opening his wallet up. However, I do think the commercial and the football side of a football club shouldn't be run by the same person.

I'm not criticising Gourlay for his commercial work, I'm just saying the shirts will sell whether Ron is there or not :D As for his dual roles, Gourlay has always been a marketing man and one thing that strikes me is that he more of a business mind than a football mind. Obviously he is meant to be, but Kenyon struck me as someone who was very much so clued-up on the game. Emenalo is supposed to have a lot of influence in his role as DoF, but I don't think anyone really knows what sort of role he really plays.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The business that ultimately funds the signings? Gourlay does a decent job on the commercial side, and without that, I doubt Roman would keep opening his wallet up. However, I do think the commercial and the football side of a football club shouldn't be run by the same person.

Gourlay is Kenyon-lite so maybe he has the capacity to do both positions to a good standard?

You have to say he has done a terrific job with this tour of Asia. The club is very well supported over there and with this commitment of going there every so often our fanbase will continue to grow.

It has become common to ask everything immediately, not giving time. We can't say that the team does not need changes, but I personnaly think that change is underway with the venue of Villas Boas. For me he is the 1st signing of the summer, and definitely the most important because of his ideas and his coaching methods

The team has not lost as much quality and quantity as last summer, I think the contrary that the squad has been renforced because Benayoun was unused last year, Torres was first of all a turnover possibility before a real offensive option, and we have Sturridge coming from an excellent loan spell at Bolton, Josh which every opportunity to show him was taken by him, we have also Bertrand.

Zhirkov (who wasn't Ancelotti's signing contrary as Ramires by example even if he wasn't entirely his decision, he gave his approval because King Carlo was a fan of Rambo) is given a new chance, he was only regarded as a fallback because of the injuries of other players... And now we have a backup of Mikel, Romeu who isn't a complete stranger, he played in probably the best reserve system in the world and he is 19...

And the most important thing is Villas Boas skills, what he can do with a squad in terms of psychological management, bringing fresh ideas.

By example during the pre-seasons games, Anelka and Malouda were disciplined on their wing. Under Carlo's tenure, he gave free license to his offensive players to interchange during games... And now Villas Boas wants to work with real wingers, and when I see Anelka, a 32 years old during probably his last season in Europe being as disciplined as if he had to prove himself ; when I see Villas Boas get worked up for a single shit choice by Anelka (a poor diagonal ball against Malaysia) in a pre season game... These are small details but that's what makes difference.

The team needs concrete refreshment by means of new recruits, but I personally think that a big part of the revival of the squad is some mental refreshement. That's why Villas Boas (even if he is maybe the second choice behind Hiddink) was chosen. But these things dont make themselves in 3 weeks, it needs time !

I personally think this topic as Pastore's is gonna be very funny next year, I'm not as pessimistic as some other people on this forum, I think we can achieve great things with this squad and thanks to Villas Boas' methods.

Okay fair enough but if he has limited say then why doesn't he say that, he is always talking about transfers and evaluating if he doesn't have a say then say it's out of my hands or something. What's annoying me more is his apathy toward our need for new players, he is probably just being diplomatic but I can't be fucked with another manager who flirts around the point like Ancelotti who was always saying "the squad is good enough", "we are in a bad moment" I don't want that shit again.

Okay fair enough but if he has limited say then why doesn't he say that, he is always talking about transfers and evaluating if he doesn't have a say then say it's out of my hands or something. What's annoying me more is his apathy toward our need for new players, he is probably just being diplomatic but I can't be fucked with another manager who flirts around the point like Ancelotti who was always saying "the squad is good enough", "we are in a bad moment" I don't want that shit again.

Although I respected a lot Ancelotti, his comminication was horrible... Villas Boas' is much better. The only thing he said about the transfert marker is that the midfield needs to be strenghten after the Pompey game. That's why he pressed in order to get the player he already wanted in Porto, a player with a clearly first team status because of where he comes from

He is able to give a revival to some players, he has also the luck to have players such as Josh or Sturridge who are incredibly (Incredible carloeyebrow.jpeg) talented and motivated so he has just to put them in the best conditions because they already full of energy and envy.

Sturridge is the main addition to the squad because of his versatility and his talent, there is no need of putting Pastore by example in the same place than him (behind the striker or on the wing).

Chelsea is scanning the market, of course Gourlay is more worried by his naming project or as people said, in selling shirts... But I find Villas Boas very pragmatic. For several reasons it would be stupid to be spendthrift because of the economical situation of the club and with the potential of the young players really emerging now (not as during Carlo's tenure, he said yes to Arnesen's decision to put youngsters in place of Deco, Ballack, Carvalho... whereas he had no intention of playing young players...). Villas Boas seems to give the opportunity to every player, young/old when they can bring something to the team, it's not as Carlo did, even with dead-ends he did not play young players (against Sunderland by example)

I'm just gonna quote my post in Pastore thread :

Maybe this is even a good thing. It could show us that AVB is in charge now and he is running our transfer policy. Roman doesn't buy players that he thinks we need no matter the price. So, Pastore at 42M - I'm not disappointed as long as we find someone cheaper and better. cool.gif

KTF in Andrechelseaflag.gif

I think if anything, our capture of Villas-Boas shows Chelsea can conduct transfer business, in the shadows of the media. Only making it obvious when needs be.

There are quite a few examples of that in recent months. The bid for Modric was a huge surprise and has not been as messy as being made out. Pastore was always rumoured but at least we did make a bid. If the player wants to chase the money, then fair play to him.

So far we've bought young, which is refreshing after our finished-product purchases. The Boas said we'll be in the market after this tournament, but that doesn't mean we've not been in it thus far. For all we know there are negotiations being undertaken, just because SkySports, BBC or ESPN does not report it, does not make it untrue.

Patience people. We never thought we'd land Villas-Boas when we were set to land Hiddink.

I can't blame AVB for transfers fail.I'm disappointed more about failure with Aguero transfer, we so many years dream about him and he chose Man.City.It's even near same money.After we lost batle for Robinho several years ago something goes on really wrong.Maybe it's karma...

How about you all calm down!. Boas will find the players we need and he wants, for god sack

have some fucking patience!.

we were told to be patient at the end of June ,,,its now the end of JULY ...the PL season starts in TWO weeks ...time for action NOT patience