Defending Villas-Boas

I am reading it again and again - people on this forum are criticising Villas-Boas for our failure of a transfer season thus far.

I have one question and one question only; why?

It is mind-numbingly obvious that Villas-Boas has no say on the club's transfer policy, exactly how it was with Ancelotti (I maintain that Torres was never an Ancelotti signing, like Shevchenko was never a Mourinho signing), and we could also see that a strong-willed person such as Mourinho could only achieve based on what was given to him. So I find it incredible for people to say Villas-Boas is to blame for it all. The way it works at this club is increasingly apparent - the manager gives a list of names to the negotiators and they try and bag whoever the coach wants. Try is the imperative word, here, because after pulling off coups with Ramires and Luiz, and then negotiating a mammoth deal for Torres, it seems their best efforts have failed.

And why is that? Is it because our chairman and CEO are more concerned about selling shirts at a 1200% profit back to Asian schoolchildren? Making sure the "global brand" continues to spread? Yeah, okay. What about the loyal fans across the world who have been let down. Gourlay promised us two new signings - and now it is obvious he is talking about Romeu and Courtois. Why do that; why get our hopes up that we would be landing someone like Modric, Pastore or Lukaku? It stinks of unprofessionalism, and just foes to highlight how ruthless-yet-inefficient our board is. Look at the way they just remorselessly fired Ancelotti, and now look at the fact we've been outdone by a Ligue Un club for a wonderful young talent in Pastore.

I'm sorry, but to blame Villas-Boas for that is nothing short of ridiculous. He has come in to the club and said he wants to assess the squad we have - to me it seems like he has achieved that to some extent. He has been here over a month and taken charge of four friendlies, using 26 players in the process. Though he hasn't yet looked at the Brazilian trio and Essien because of one reason or another, it is still a massive portion of his squad he has looked at.

The only fault that I can find with Villas-Boas is his patience, and that is only because we are running out of time. It is 15 days until we play against Stoke in our toughest opening day fixture since United at Stamford Bridge in 04/05. Our squad has only got worse since Ancelotti left - I point out here the injury to Essien. We need reinforcements, and we need them now, but to criticise Villas-Boas in any way, shape or form is unjustified in my mind. It is obvious he has tried to make a move in the transfer market through trying to bring Modric to the club. But when it comes to negotiations, the manager is barely involved. The money men do the leg work, but they're obviously falling short.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the morons who run the club. They're the reason why we're heading into a second consecutive season under-manned.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at this midfield.

Lampard - 33, struggles to regain form

Essien - has only 1 knee, will never be the same again

Ramires - a bit injury prone

Benayoun - 31, injury prone

Mikel - consistent, but he won't turn a match around

Now how the FUCK does AVB expect to do something with a midfield like that!!!!??? And if someone get's injured...:fainthv9:

Guys, settle down. Don't you know our squad is filled with experience and players who have won a lot in their career? That means we don't need to buy young players because experience can keep you going until your 35 and you'll still be in top, top form.

/Sarcasm

Look at this midfield.

Lampard - 33, struggles to regain form

Essien - has only 1 knee, will never be the same again

Ramires - a bit injury prone

Benayoun - 31, injury prone

Mikel - consistent, but he won't turn a match around

Now how the FUCK does AVB expect to do something with a midfield like that!!!!??? And if someone get's injured...:fainthv9:

That's exactly what happened last season, we were hoping no one got injured, as soon as Essien got injured, from then on it was an awful season, especially with the 3-0 loss to sunderland.

Honestly I don't care about trophies. What I care is how the team plays. If we repeat the football from last season then we'll be in trouble...

Totally agree with this, i want to see good football, i love seeing magic in matches, and i didn't see it from Chelsea last season, infact i was even seeing it from Blackpool. Lets see how this Aston VIlla match goes.

I appreciate we need changes but that is not what is being discussed here. All I am trying to do is vindicate AVB and suggest people berating him are idiots.

No i have faith in AVB, and i'm not entirely blaming him on transfers, we missed out on a fantastic player today, im upset but i still have faith in him. Though i must admit i don't see why people say, well this player would of been bought of Carlo was still here, and has someone actually said we need a new manager?, i can see the reason why you made this thread if so.

My thoughts exactly... one line is all that most people need to read to see how ridiculous this treatment of AVB is...

Sadly there will always be fans who think that we can just handpick the players we want, have ten minutes negotiating and he'll be ours. They don't understand that Santos, Tottenham, PSG etc are trying to do the same as us and win football matches. To do this, they ALSO want the best squad they can put together.

We have a terrific owner, who's given this club more than 10 years ago we could ever have imagined. What we don't and never will have is a warrant to go to any club we want and take their best players.

As a sidenote, in terms of AVB's policy - he's getting the players HE wants. Courtois and Romeu are done, and who knows, could become world beaters. Signing current world class internationals isn't so simple.

I don't see how transfers are anything to do with him? Its obvious at this club managers have no role in negotiations, otherwise we wouldn't have signed half the players we have done in the last three years :lol:

Sadly there will always be fans who think that we can just handpick the players we want, have ten minutes negotiating and he'll be ours. They don't understand that Santos, Tottenham, PSG etc are trying to do the same as us and win football matches.

We have a terrific owner, who's given this club more than 10 years ago we could ever have imagined. What we don't and never will have is a warrant to go to any club we want and take their best players.

As a sidenote, in terms of AVB's policy - he's getting the players HE wants. Courtois and Romeu are done, and who knows, could become world beaters. Signing current world class internationals isn't so simple.

Precisely. Some fans think it is as simple as signing someone on FIFA or Football Manager.

I just don't see how AVB can be blamed for us failing to sign Pastore or Aguero. We can't even be certain we were in line for the negotiations, our name is always thrown about to get more money and so on. Its clear AVB wants Modric, and if we do eventually sign him, will people be so critical of him then? It just beats me how AVB is at fault when it is obvious Gourlay should be back at Cobham leading negotiations with other clubs, not selling more shirts.

Villas-Boas does have a say actually. He has already signed Oriol Romeu, a player he tried to sign for Porto last year. His stance so far has been that he is assessing the squad and will make decisions once the tour of Asia is completed. I am almost certain the signings we will make will most definitely be based on what he feels we need with very little to no interference from the board. They tried it their way and we ended up with a 50m striker who is as likely to score as Paulo Ferreira.

What you also failed to mention is that we no longer have a sporting-director as Arnesen left (or fired?). So who is making the transfer decisions if it isn’t the manager?

Boas is taking his time which is fair enough. But it's boring for us transfer numpties who want to see some new blood :clown:

Excellent article .. As it was said in the First World War ,,,"Lions led by Donkeys" ...but the board are appointed by Roman ...Is he still satisfied

with the job they are doing. And who is he taking advice from now ? I doubt if it is Hiddink. AVB is being asked to fight with his hands tied behind

his back

Villas-Boas does have a say actually. He has already signed Oriol Romeu, a player he tried to sign for Porto last year. His stance so far has been that he is assessing the squad and will make decisions once the tour of Asia is completed. I am almost certain the signings we will make will most definitely be based on what he feels we need with very little to no interference from the board. They tried it their way and we ended up with a 50m striker who is as likely to score as Paulo Ferreira.

What you also failed to mention is that we no longer have a sporting-director as Arnesen left (or fired?). So who is making the transfer decisions if it isn't the manager?

Boas is taking his time which is fair enough. But it's boring for us transfer numpties who want to see some new blood :clown:

Of course he has a say, but a limited one. AVB himself reportedly left his negotiations to the negotiators, like Mourinho always has done.

And as for our director of football, that prestigious role has been delegated to another person half-way around the world; Emenalo.

People still think that managers are the main negotiators? AVB can say whatever he wants, but it's up to the suit-wearing businessmen to clinch deals. I definitely have a feeling that AVB presented the board with his targets, because he's hinted it in his interviews (saying there MAY be additions), but it's not up to him to get the signature on paper. With the overtake of sheikhs and other multibillionaires, it has become harder and harder for Chelsea to remain a dominant side in the transfer market as it was some years ago.

when it is obvious Gourlay should be back at Cobham leading negotiations with other clubs, not selling more shirts.

The business that ultimately funds the signings? Gourlay does a decent job on the commercial side, and without that, I doubt Roman would keep opening his wallet up. However, I do think the commercial and the football side of a football club shouldn't be run by the same person.

Of course he has a say, but a limited one. AVB himself reportedly left his negotiations to the negotiators, like Mourinho always has done.

And as for our director of football, that prestigious role has been delegated to another person half-way around the world; Emenalo.

Yeah that's what is happening and it's how it should work. The manager picks his targets (Modric for instance) and the club tries to buy them at a reasonable price. I'm glad we aren't paying crazy money for Modric and to be honest I doubt we're even interested in Pastore as all the noise is being made by that nutter of a chairman.