Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

He's not even the best goalkeeper in the premier league nevermind the world.

Nueur and De gea are ahead of him.

What makes DDG better? I'd like to hear your reasoning. I realise he's one of the reasons why ManU are where they are in the league, but that doesn't make him the better keeper if the other keeper has been virtually flawless albeit less spectacular.

Neuer fair enough

I certainly accept people who think Neuer is better than Courtois, but most people worldwide think Neuer is better because of wrong reasons. They think Neuer is the better one, because he is more spectacular, because Courtois is too young for them, and because Neuer has won the World Cup. While all 3 of those reasons have nothing to do about how good a goalkeeper is. I think that is a pity for Courtois.

And statistics are bs, certainly for goalkeepers. If you bring up statistics, DDG will always look better than Courtois.

For Example:

Man Utd with DDG:

- Gets 117 chances on goal against them

- DDG saves 89 of them.

- Man Utd received 28 goals against.

- DDG has a save percentage of 76%

The same Man Utd, the same games, with Courtois:

- Gets 77 chances on goal against them

- Courtois saves 55 of them.

- Man Utd received 22 goals against.

- Courtois has a save percentage of 72%

Statistics show that DDG is the better one, and people will also believe that DDG is the better one. While this a very realistic example of the possible reality now imo.

Not sure why the commentator said the keeper should of done better before I knew what happened Mane put it in the net he took it so early.

Can't fault him, JT assumed we would win the initial header and usually Dave is closer to him however Luis was further up the field and had no chance of getting back.

One of those things

He didn't do much wrong but he certainly made up Mané's mind for him, in truth. That being said, if we have to point the blame at anyone it has to be Terry for failing to play the high line correctly. If I was in Thibaut's boots I'd have retreated a little based on Mané's heavy first touch - instead Courtois raced out and that opened up the possibility of the chip. Very difficult though; if he'd have stayed still Mané would have had the time to take a touch and pick his slot. Gary Neville is a good commentator but he is absolutely clueless when it comes to goalkeeping, I don't think Courtois could have done much more in truth, which is a bold statement as he is almost infallible in one-on-ones.

Chelsea keeper Thibaut Courtois plays on after his father was rushed to hospital on Christmas Eve with serious brain condition

Playing two games in three days over the festive period has brought complaints from players and managers about how difficult this time of the year can be.

But Thibaut Courtois has been battling more than a heavy schedule, as the Belgian keeper continues playing while his father lying in hospital with a brain condition.

Thierry Courtois, 47, was rushed to hospital on Christmas Eve, but his son continued playig for Chelsea, completing 90 minutes against West Ham on Boxing Day and Southampton on December 28.

I will take back my words of criticism. He has done the best he could do as a GK and as a human being. Proud to have him in our squad.

It's funny how all the journalists and commentators are searching hard for a mistake of Courtois, because he didn't make a big one this far. Eventually he will make one, because he is also a human being. I wonder what they will say when he does it.

I think it are all Man Utd fans who want to use the mistake to give a phony prove that DDG is the better goalkeeper. So when he makes one, I expect a storm coming.

What do you guys think of this post? I'm curious about how other Chelseafans see this.

I certainly accept people who think Neuer is better than Courtois, but most people worldwide think Neuer is better because of wrong reasons. They think Neuer is the better one, because he is more spectacular, because Courtois is too young for them, and because Neuer has won the World Cup. While all 3 of those reasons have nothing to do about how good a goalkeeper is. I think that is a pity for Courtois.

And statistics are bs, certainly for goalkeepers. If you bring up statistics, DDG will always look better than Courtois.

For Example:

Man Utd with DDG:

- DDG saves 89 of them.

Statistics show that DDG is the better one, and people will also believe that DDG is the better one. While this a very realistic example of the possible reality now imo.

For Example:

Man Utd with DDG:

- DDG saves 89 of them.

Stats for goalkeepers need to be viewed relative to their correlation. What those stats don't tell us is the quality of those chances. Without looking at each chance individually and subjectively assessing the level of difficulty of stopping a goal it's nearly impossible to tell the quality. Each chance can be wildly different in its difficulty to stop.

IIRC most of the goals allowed by Courtois have been either deflections or impossible to stop. I think on maybe three goals Courtois could have done a bit better but even then I don't think he would have had too high a percentage chance of stopping the goals.

The problem with rating the GK position is that the quality of defense plays a massive role in determining how many goals a GK gives up.

However with that being said, De Gea has never had a GAA (goals against average) below 1.00 in any of his 6 full seasons nor has he had a clean sheet ratio above 39%. In contrast, Courtois in each of the last 4 1/2 seasons has had a GAA below 1 and a clean sheet ratio at .47 or above.

If you compare the last 5 years (4 1/2 for Courtois) of De Gea, Neuer, and Courtois you'll see that Neuer has a GAA of 0.80 De Gea a GAA of 1.19 and Courtois has a GAA of 0.83. Neuer has a CS (clean sheet) ratio of 48%, Courtois has a CS ratio of 47% and De Gea has a CS ratio of 33%.

Neuer over the last 4 seasons has had 22,30,32,30 clean sheets. Courtois over the last 4 has had 14,25,30,33. De Gea has had 14,15,12, 20.

Granted like I said GAA and CS ratio also has a lot to do with the defense in front of you.

For reference

2013-2014

Cech GAA 0.78 CS 48%

Courtois GAA of 0.70 CS 51%

Neuer GAA 0.69 GAA CS 50%

De Gea GAA 1.06 CS 39%

United's defence is shit, hence De Gea is forced to a lot more saves than Courtois.

De Gea has to deal with at least five or six difficult situations in every game, while Courtois will barely be forced to two or three saves.

I think it's fair to say that they are both great keepers. Maybe De Gea has better reflexes and is more spectacular, while Courtois is more imposing, he is commanding the area like no one else.

Crazy thing is Chelsea allowed the same amount of goals this season city has leaked in with their primary cb this season being demichellis, an injured kompany and rash mangala.

In addition, city plays open football moreso than chelsea with 2 attacking fullbacks..

Also, united has allowed one more goal in with a defense that is one of the worse in the league....

I like thibo, however, I think he might be a tad overrated as the consensus number 2 in the world.

Could do nothing about the 5 goals today. I know I haven't yet declared my man crush for Thibaut yet but what an amazing keeper! He literally has no faults or weakness in his game. Complete domination of his area and can catch a bullet. The calm he brings to the defense is incredible. What has impressed me most is his seamless transition into English football, like he's been here all his life. De Gea struggled massively to adapt to the physicality but Courtois has had zero problems.

Could do nothing about the 5 goals today. I know I haven't yet declared my man crush for Thibaut yet but what an amazing keeper! He literally has no faults or weakness in his game. Complete domination of his area and can catch a bullet. The calm he brings to the defense is incredible. What has impressed me most is his seamless transition into English football, like he's been here all his life. De Gea struggled massively to adapt to the physicality but Courtois has had zero problems.

I think maybe he shouldn't have rushed out like that for their second goal since Terry (?) came running back in support, but that is easy to say in retrospect. Other than that they were all out of his reach.