Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

I laugh every time someone mentions De Gea in the same breath as Neuer, Courtois, Cech and Buffon.

De Gea is better than Cech and Buffon. They're a class below Courtois, Neuer and DDG

Correct.

Mignolet started his Liverpool career making those hollywood saves, but was soon exposed in all other areas of his goalkeeping. Much like De Gea, great reactions but was rubbish with everything else..

I think you're underrating DDG, he's definitely 'rubbish' at everything else. He's pretty decent at collecting crosses and controlling his defense (when they're there)

I think you're underrating DDG, he's definitely 'rubbish' at everything else. He's pretty decent at collecting crosses and controlling his defense (when they're there)

You missed the key word in my post.. 'was'. He was rubbish at everything else when he arrived, he's improved considerably since.

Other goalkeepers aside for a second, it sounds like Thibaut will spend tomorrow's game on the bench again as his thumb continues to heal.

I'm certainly in the 'tick of approval' camp for this decision, I think fractures can't be rushed and we have enough security there with Cech to feel comfortable in getting Thibaut 100% right.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Other goalkeepers aside for a second, it sounds like Thibaut will spend tomorrow's game on the bench again as his thumb continues to heal.

I'm certainly in the 'tick of approval' camp for this decision, I think fractures can't be rushed and we have enough security there with Cech to feel comfortable in getting Thibaut 100% right.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Tbh I still think Cech on a purely open play level is still a bit better than Courtois... I wish they were rotated more. Plus...I love the guy. It's a waste of talent on the bench, really.

That said, I do admire Tibo's ability just to pick balls out of the air on set pieces. Mesmerising.

When you have a world class stand in like Cech it makes the decision that much more simpler. Let the hand heal, the fat of their job is in the hands, no need to rush things see the injury out.

To have two keepers of this ilk we are very, very lucky.

HAHAHA Okay.

Maybe if we forget his awful positioning, physical weakness in the air, failure to deal with crosses, average technique, atrocious footwork and lack of consistency....then sure..

Are we watching the same de Gea? Awful positioning? Average technique? Lack of consistency? Sorry but a lot of what you said is borderline false.

A lot of that stuff applies with Cech as well.

You missed the key word in my post.. 'was'. He was rubbish at everything else when he arrived, he's improved considerably since.

Ah, my mistake then.

Are we watching the same de Gea? Awful positioning? Average technique? Lack of consistency? Sorry but a lot of what you said is borderline false.

A lot of that stuff applies with Cech as well.

Yeah, his positioning is pretty bad for a supposed top goal keeper. Always seems to be a step off where he should be. Even in FKs you can see it. And when I say technique, I mean his shot saving technique which is unorthodox to say the least. Particularly for low shots where he for some reason always tries to save with his feet first instead of hands. And yes, inconsistency, hence why he's been dropped many times over his performances since he joined utd. People forget this, but when he was chosen the best keeper of the year two season ago, he had been dropped for almost two months by SAF in that very season for his poor form.

De Gea, is however, probably the best in the world at making reflex saves which are the most "glamorous" and make him look very good.

No, none of what I mentioned, apart from inconsistency in deal with crosses and high balls, applied to Petr. Petr, for me, remains as the best in the world at positioning and anticipation, maybe on par only with Neuer in that area. Hence why A LOT of the really difficult saves he makes look fairly easy (example in the last match against Newcastle, the low save to his right he made at 0-0. De Gea would have most probably let that one in.

Yeah, his positioning is pretty bad for a supposed top goal keeper. Always seems to be a step off where he should be. Even in FKs you can see it. And when I say technique, I mean his shot saving technique which is unorthodox to say the least. Particularly for low shots where he for some reason always tries to save with his feet first instead of hands. And yes, inconsistency, hence why he's been dropped many times over his performances since he joined utd. People forget this, but when he was chosen the best keeper of the year two season ago, he had been dropped for almost two months by SAF in that very season for his poor form.

De Gea, is however, probably the best in the world at making reflex saves which are the most "glamorous" and make him look very good.

No, none of what I mentioned, apart from inconsistency in deal with crosses and high balls, applied to Petr. Petr, for me, remains as the best in the world at positioning and anticipation, maybe on par only with Neuer in that area. Hence why A LOT of the really difficult saves he makes look fairly easy (example in the last match against Newcastle, the low save to his right he made at 0-0. De Gea would have most probably let that one in.

Ah, I know what you're talking about there. I find it odd as well but he does it very rarely and when he does he probably feels he can't save it with his hands. I've even seen Courtois save it with his feet this season (against Man Utd I think). As a goalkeeper you have to keep the ball out no matter what so you do it anyway you can.

Yes but that was the past. He hasn't been dropped for a good 2 seasons now, and he's been excellent for the past 1.5 seasons. He's been anything but inconsistent. If he was inconsistent then you can bet that Man Utd wouldn't be in the top 5 right now! If he hadn't been performing admirably this entire season they'd have been much lower down the table.

On the subject of Cech its all subjective so there's no point of really arguing over this

For me both Thibaut and Petr are top class, but imo Cech is a bit better.
Thibaut is just fantastic when defending FKs, catching crosses - coming out from goal. He catches the ball very confidently (what Cech doesn't do every time he has to). He is great when talking about reflex saves, BUT - imo he can't control the denfence the way Cech does. I mean - maybe because he's much younger than our defenders (apart from Zouma), and the ones like JT or Gary don't trust him. Cech has a lot of respect among the team, and what I see - the defence plays much more confidently when Cech's on goal. But anyway, both deserve to play. Have to say, that Jose should have a headache before every game when picking up the team.

Is he fully, 100% healed? If so, stick him in the team. Otherwise, stick with the guy who is also one of the world's top 7/8 goalkeepers. No point in risking further injury. Take it from me, there's nothing worse than playing on with damaged fingers. I have two fingers on my right hand I can't straighten to a point because I broke them and came back to play too soon.

Is he fully, 100% healed? If so, stick him in the team. Otherwise, stick with the guy who is also one of the world's top 7/8 goalkeepers. No point in risking further injury. Take it from me, there's nothing worse than playing on with damaged fingers. I have two fingers on my right hand I can't straighten to a point because I broke them and came back to play too soon.

May I inquire as to what team you play(ed) for? You once mentioned you train goalkeepers?

May I inquire as to what team you play(ed) for? You once mentioned you train goalkeepers?

I played for my university and had a number of trials with teams but never played higher than semi-pro level.

He currently plays for the u8's team. He pretends to "coach". A very "hands on" approach :ph34r:

:rolleyes: