Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Is it just me or Thibaut has really bad handling? He never manages to catch the ball, always just blocks the shot and ball goes to opposition again.

It's the modern goalkeeping style. Balls are more unpredictable so there's a greater emphasis on turning the ball away from trouble. Cech has been an expert at re-directing shots and Courtois is very much in the same vein.

I hope that you're wrong.

Usually is.

Were you looking at the clips posted here? Of course he's not going to catch them, most of them were hard shots from very close by.

I can tell you I've never felt so secure about our national goalkeeper since the days of Michel Preud'homme, a European Cup winner who was one of the best of his day and was chosen as the best goalkeeper of the 94 World Cup. That's 20 years ago and I believe Courtois will prove to be better in the end. :)

Nope, mate. Every game I watch, even simple shots, which could easily be caught - he still decides to reflect them, not catch. I'm not saying he is bad goalkeeper, far from that, but I like when goalkeeper has secure handling, like Cech had yesterday against PSG. Imagine how many corners would PSG have, if Cech just reflect all those shots.

It's the modern goalkeeping style. Balls are more unpredictable so there's a greater emphasis on turning the ball away from trouble. Cech has been an expert at re-directing shots and Courtois is very much in the same vein.

Usually is.

Really hope so mate, because he is really the best young goalkeeper out there, but as I said, I prefer when goalkeepers safely catch the ball and 'hug' it on the floor.

Were you looking at the clips posted here? Of course he's not going to catch them, most of them were hard shots from very close by.

I can tell you I've never felt so secure about our national goalkeeper since the days of Michel Preud'homme, a European Cup winner who was one of the best of his day and was chosen as the best goalkeeper of the 94 World Cup. That's 20 years ago and I believe Courtois will prove to be better in the end. :)

Most of the shot could/should have been handled more securely and parried out of the danger zone like real top class goalkeepers do though rather pushed back into dangerous area giving the opposition players the chance of a rebound/tap in.

Yeah all goalkeepers nowadays are encouraged to punch instead of catch which I personally despise but understand with the balls we have nowadays. It's just that your keeper actually catching can be an important weapon for the counter especially from corners and set-pieces. Reina used to do this to perfection at Liverpool.

No you should hope Courtois significantly improves his ball handling and shot stopping technique before he joins us. That should be your hope and not that I'm proven right or wrong

Pretty sure it's better if you're wrong, then there would be no need to improve it..

What conflict of interest? Obviously if Chelsea draw Atletico, he wants to win with Atletico!

He was decent today. One very nice save, followed by stumbling and being lucky.

What conflict of interest? Obviously if Chelsea draw Atletico, he wants to win with Atletico!

How can you say that with such confidence? What if something happens, he miss kicks the ball for instance resulting in a goal. The whole match would be thrown into dispute.