Wingers

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need a natural wide player that doesn't cut inside which DS, NA do being converted strikers and even JM admits to doing. BTW what about Ibrahim Afellay from Barcelona? He's available for around £5 million and a upgrade from Kalou.

• 1 month later...

This is actually funny, we still don't have a true winger XD

Mata goes all over the pitch.

Malouda is the closest thing, but I can't remember seeing him send in a cross.

Anelka is a striker.

Sturridge is a striker.

Kalou is second striker.

Anelka is a striker.

Sturridge is a striker.

Kalou is second striker.

Oh well Barcelona don't either. Neither did they with their earlier starting front 3 of Ronaldinho Eto'o and Messi.

Oh well Barcelona don't either. Neither did they with their earlier starting front 3 of Ronaldinho Eto'o and Messi.

Barcelona is different.

First off, They have players who are polyvalent. Indeed, Messi, Pedro and Villa can play down the center, on the right wing and on the left wing, Busquests can play in the midfield or in the defence, Alvès and Adriano too, etc...

Plus, they aren't playing with their head. The majority of their playing is on the ground. They don't have a big tall boy as striker to receive the crosses. That ain't their playing style. And both their winger are cutting inside. So they ain't need conformist wingers.

Finally, even if Messi, Villa or Pedro aren't wingers, they have winger's attributes. Indeed, they are fast, very skilfull, can dribble their defenders, and can put a good cross.

If Kalou, Anelka and Malouda would have been like this, we wouldn't have need winger. But they ain't like this.

But Villas-Boas wants us to be like this. He wants us to play like Barcelona and Mata fits in that idea. He doesn't want the wingers to make an action down the sideline, he wants them to cut in and to go inside. Sturridge can do that en Mata obviously too. Our backs should provide the crosses, but Bosingwa isn't really doing a good job on that one.

Patience... The team is still a working process under AVB. His first marks this summer were Mata and Meireles, both brilliant signings to be fair.. if we get 2 brilliant signings again next summer, we will be covered all over, and I'm pretty sure we will, as many are on the verge of leaving. And seeing our active interests in players like Neymar, De Bruyne, Pereira etc. shows promise that we are looking in the right direction, even if we aren't going to sign exactly those names, we are still seeing interest from the club towards such type of players... and for me it's encouraging. But for now overall I'm pleased with the team, there doesn't seem to be a screaming need for pure wingers atm, although this might change if Mata and Studge get injured or some shit like that.

polyvalent.

Off topic but I had to Google this word. As it turns out it is French.

There isn't such a thing as a Winger anymore, it is either a Foward of Attacking Midfielder playing out wide.

The days of a winger that will cruise down the pitch to put in a cross for a towering No.9 are dead.

There isn't such a thing as a Winger anymore, it is either a Forward of Attacking Midfielder playing out wide.

The days of a winger that will cruise down the pitch to put in a cross for a towering No.9 are dead.

I totally agree. Now a days the fullbacks are expected to do the traditional winger deed in addition to their defensive responsibilities.

But Villas-Boas wants us to be like this. He wants us to play like Barcelona and Mata fits in that idea. He doesn't want the wingers to make an action down the sideline, he wants them to cut in and to go inside. Sturridge can do that en Mata obviously too. Our backs should provide the crosses, but Bosingwa isn't really doing a good job on that one.

Yeah, I didn't say otherwise. The thing is that out of 8 forward players, only two can possibly fit this Barcelona scheme. That's Mata and Sturridge. Though, for the latter man, I am yet to be convinced by his performances as a winger. I do believe that he would be to another level if he was played as our striker, and I want that to happen... But this is another debate.

Malouda can't fit the Barcelona scheme, he hasn't enough pace, he is not skilful at all, his passing game isn't outstanding. Kalou as a winger is an epic fail. No need to waste time on Torres' case, everyone out there knows how unidimensional his game is. Drogba is too slow and doesn't got the pace needed. Lukaku isn't enough skilful. And, Anelka slows down the rythm too much.

Weird. I checked Google trad and this word came along with "multipurpose"... http://translate.google.fr/#fr|en|polyvalent

PS : Mata is a brilliant signing, yes, but not Meireles.

Anelka is a striker.

Sturridge is a striker.

Kalou is second striker.

???????????? what???????????

surely you aren't serious

???????????? what???????????

surely you aren't serious

Oh come on now! How many times did he pass to the nearest player or back to Ash or shoot from impossible positions!? Sure, he had some good games, but it just ain't it anymore. Player playing in his position is supposed to be lifting the team like Nani and Mata do, not play well when the whole team does.

Oh come on now! How many times did he pass to the nearest player or back to Ash or shoot from impossible positions!? Sure, he had some good games, but it just ain't it anymore. Player playing in his position is supposed to be lifting the team like Nani and Mata do, not play well when the whole team does.

You said you can't remember seeing him send in a cross but he does it all the time. maybe you haven't noticed but our opponents always load the defenses up on the left, or do you really think bosingwa and ramires are better passers and shooters than ashley and lamps??? Before mata came, almost every ball delivered into the area was from malouda. I guess you'd rather see players give away possession with stupid forward passes into areas with 3 or 4 defenders. glad you aren't managing.

You said you can't remember seeing him send in a cross but he does it all the time. maybe you haven't noticed but our opponents always load the defenses up on the left, or do you really think bosingwa and ramires are better passers and shooters than ashley and lamps??? Before mata came, almost every ball delivered into the area was from malouda. I guess you'd rather see players give away possession with stupid forward passes into areas with 3 or 4 defenders. glad you aren't managing.

I was honest, I simply couldn't remember a cross he sent. A good quality one that was dangerous for our opposition. More often we will see him pass to ball backwards to Ash or to the nearest player or simply shoot from wherever he is.

Apparently we watched a different team play...perhaps I watched Everton instead of Chelsea but I'm sure I would've noticed :chai:

I was honest, I simply couldn't remember a cross he sent. A good quality one that was dangerous for our opposition. More often we will see him pass to ball backwards to Ash or to the nearest player or simply shoot from wherever he is.

Apparently we watched a different team play...perhaps I watched Everton instead of Chelsea but I'm sure I would've noticed :chai:

We both wear blue at home?

:Goober:

Last season Florent had 4 assists in 32 games played in all competitions which is really low for a providing midfielder. So he is either not crossing enough or his crossing is really bad.

It's nothing personal against Malouda but crossing was never his thing, he always either get on the end of work done on the right or down the middle, or cut in and shoot.