End of an African era?

It feels to me that the days of our first team being filled with talismanic Africans is over or is at least coming to a end , with the club moving on through choice to fresh young talent from other continents , most noticeably South America. Whilst Essien may still have a important role to play if he hits form i think Roman is mindful of the commitment African players have to their Cup Of Nations , and is looking to kick off a new exciting legacy of Brazilian players in a team that through the inclusion of such players can bring their more flash elegant style of play which Roman so craves to the Club. Anyone agree ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is you know!

We've certainly been linked with different kinds of players than we'd usually buy. We've stopped going for power in favour of skill and pace. Like Torres, Neymar et al.

I think it is you know!

We've certainly been linked with different kinds of players than we'd usually buy. We've stopped going for power in favour of skill and pace. Like Torres, Neymar et al.

Drogba is 100000x more skillful than Torres.

Chalobah, Deen-conteh, Nditi, Mesca, Pappoe all born in Africa.

In the future I would like us to have at least one African player. We are loved in Africa.

I told you once how that highly rated young Malian player prefers Chelsea to any other team.

I do but I'm a little uncomfortable that some seem to think African players are just big and powerful with no skill.

Yeah yeah, I didn't phrase that first post well.

I think dave30 is a bit misguided when he's said "African" era.

Chalobah, Deen-conteh, Nditi, Mesca, Pappoe all born in Africa.

In the future I would like us to have at least one African player. We are loved in Africa.

I told you once how that highly rated young Malian player prefers Chelsea to any other team.

True. I watched a documentary on the ACoN a few years ago when they followed Essien and we have a lot of support in Africa because of Essien, Drogba etc. I would love that to continue.

True. I watched a documentary on the ACoN a few years ago when they followed Essien and we have a lot of support in Africa because of Essien, Drogba etc. I would love that to continue.

Me too.

Look at it from a bright side. We will have more supporters from South America :eyebrows:

In fact African players don't represent good business, they don"t sell as many shirts as south americans, and also a player from south america represents selling more shirts ( official shirts ) in those countries.

People in Africa in general don't have much money to pay for a Chelsea shirt. Africa is not a good market as Brazil is.

In fact African players don't represent good business, they don"t sell as many shirts as south americans, and also a player from south america represents selling more shirts ( official shirts ) in those countries.

People in Africa in general don't have much money to pay for a Chelsea shirt. Africa is not a good market as Brazil is.

I don't think that's a factor in buying players :lol:

& if it is, this club is hopeless.