Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Did you guys see his defensive work on everton goal?

Got drawn out of position, put in a half hearted tackle, osman escaped and played played a lovely one two while mikel decided to stand and applause the phase of play.

Lol yeah let's blame Mikel for the goal even though it was Cech's and Ramires' fault. Ridiculous.

bleed_blue, on 07 May 2013 - 3:42 PM, said:

snapback.png

Since Mikel's return from African's Nations Cup, he has started 9 games for us. We have won 3, drawn 2 and lost 4 of them.

In the 14 games during this period when Mikel did not start, we have won 12, drawn 1 and lost 1. The one we drew, he played as a sub for 38 minutes and the one we lost, he came on after 60 minutes when we were leading 2-1 and ended up losing 3-2.

Sorry forgot to include our wins against Hull and Villa and a point away v Utd in those stats so without Mikel should read W14 D2 L2 ,with Mikel W3 D2 L5 since he returned form the African nations last season, of course it could be a freak stat? that shows no relevance to his contribution at all?

Throw up those action area stats to trump these again. It could be a statistical oddity which has no relevance at all I suppose?

Did you guys see his defensive work on everton goal?

Got drawn out of position, put in a half hearted tackle, osman escaped and played played a lovely one two while mikel decided to stand and applause the phase of play.

Because Rami, Eto'o, Luiz and Cech covered themselves in glory didn't they?

IF WE CONCEDE ITS MIKELS FAULT SORRY GUYS FORGOT

Lol yeah let's blame Mikel for the goal even though it was Cech's and Ramires' fault. Ridiculous.

LOL

Go and watch the goal again. I am not saying it was only Mikel's fault, but he shares a major portion of the blame. He gets drawn out of position, puts in a half hearted tackle and once Osman gets rid of him, Mikel just gave up. It was a chain of events after that.

But lets forget that, Mikel completed 93% of his passes. He must be really good. Scoreline does not matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIIub70pZBQ

The above video will show you, only if you don't have blinkers ON.

and the berks blaming Luiz for that goal, you will have to excuse him for trying to close down on Ross Barkley having a free shot at the goal while our DMs went jogging. Barkley has a pretty good shot on him, people who watch football will tell you that.

wow... I came here to post about his match today and maybe have a debate with you guys about us using a 4-1-4-1 with him being the holding DM '1', but I came across the weirdest posts posted yesterday (09/13).

I don't even read beyond page 180 because it seemed I was entering the Twilight zone...

Anyway, the 4-1-4-1 thing. It doesn't make much sense, I'll be the first to say, but he was good defensively today - as he is usually - that I thought maybe that would be the solution for our AM in some matches and a good alternative for when the 4-2-3-1 isn't working (I'm still convinced our players fit better a 4-3-3 formation than a 4-2-3-1 formation, but Mourinho will insist on the latter)

What if we play him ahead of the defense and ahead of him Hazard - Oscar - Mata - André/Willian/Kevin and a striker ahead of them. Oscar and André are options against more dangerous team as they have impressive work rates - like for example ManUtd as their midfield wasn't exactly threatening. Willian for matches when we need a fast-dribbling player in the wing (some of our home games against weaker sides that will sit deep against us) and Kevin for the matches in the between of both scenarios (matches against mid-tables teams at home or cup games) . It does sacrifice both Ramires and Lamps at once (reason alone why it will never happen, sadly), but this is not something I think we should play at all matches, but when we want to bring something different, have an unexpected game play or fix matches that aren't going our way. It could have been the case today as I see Everton the kind of opponent that we wouldn't miss much having only one player in the pivot. There was so many players Barry could mark by himself especially if we have both Oscar and Mata in the middle. As I said, as an alternative, not our most used formation. I can envision it working and the only CM that could make it work for us is Mikel.

Sorry forgot to include our wins against Hull and Villa and a point away v Utd in those stats so without Mikel should read W14 D2 L2 ,with Mikel W3 D2 L5 since he returned form the African nations last season, of course it could be a freak stat? that shows no relevance to his contribution at all?

After 3rd Feb 2013, we have played 32 games. Mikel started 10 of these games.

Our results when Mikel started: 3 wins, 2 draws and 5 defeats

Our results in the other 22 games: 17 wins, 3 draws and 2 defeats.

The 2 defeats when Mikel did not start: vs Rubin Kazan away when we were leading 2-1 before Mikel came on as sub and we lost 2-3 and the Super Cup defeat to Bayern on penalties.

wow... I came here to post about his match today and maybe have a debate with you guys about us using a 4-1-4-1 with him being the holding DM '1', but I came across the weirdest posts posted yesterday (09/13).

I don't even read beyond page 180 because it seemed I was entering the Twilight zone...

Anyway, the 4-1-4-1 thing. It doesn't make much sense, I'll be the first to say, but he was good defensively today - as he is usually - that I thought maybe that would be the solution for our AM in some matches and a good alternative for when the 4-2-3-1 isn't working (I'm still convinced our players fit better a 4-3-3 formation than a 4-2-3-1 formation, but Mourinho will insist on the latter)

What if we play him ahead of the defense and ahead of him Hazard - Oscar - Mata - André/Willian/Kevin and a striker ahead of them. Oscar and André are options against more dangerous team as they have impressive work rates - like for example ManUtd as their midfield wasn't exactly threatening. Willian for matches when we need a fast-dribbling player in the wing (some of our home games against weaker sides that will sit deep against us) and Kevin for the matches in the between of both scenarios (matches against mid-tables teams at home or cup games) . It does sacrifice both Ramires and Lamps at once (reason alone why it will never happen, sadly), but this is not something I think we should play at all matches, but when we want to bring something different, have an unexpected game play or fix matches that aren't going our way. It could have been the case today as I see Everton the kind of opponent that we wouldn't miss much having only one player in the pivot. There was so many players Barry could mark by himself especially if we have both Oscar and Mata in the middle. As I said, as an alternative, not our most used formation. I can envision it working and the only CM that could make it work for us is Mikel.

I think that could be a good option against weaker teams at home or when we're chasing a game (certainly better than Torres for Cole :P) but I doubt it would be something we play regularly simply because the central midfield would just be too light-weight.

The 2 defeats when Mikel did not start: vs Rubin Kazan away when we were leading 2-1 before Mikel came on as sub and we lost 2-3 and the Super Cup defeat to Bayern on penalties.

There is a clear trend here ,I suppose it could be a coincidence?

bleed_blue, on 15 Sept 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:snapback.png

A bad omen? I suppose it could be witchcraft :D:D:D

bleed_blue, on 15 Sept 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:snapback.png

A bad omen? I suppose it could be witchcraft :D:D:D

You just don't like him. What did he do, steal your girlfriend? ;) He could be he the last person in the penalty shootout to take the penalty and you would want him to miss so you could sprout out all your hatred for him. Your hate for him is that bad that you would rather him play crap for us than good for us despite being a Chelsea fan whatever.gif

You just don't like him. What did he do.

Mikel got a match high 97% of passes completed yesterday. Very impressive considering Everton's pressing at points. And before we hear the usual myth that he only 'passes forwards and backward'..

39/44 forward, 20/20 square 7/7 backwards. He's a reliable, good player to have in the squad and showing it. Good match from him yesterday, made a few forays forward too.

Yes we can certainly rely on him .