Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Oh how I remember those days how you and all the others used to make fun of me because I said Mikel wasn't good enough.

The Sloth Makalele comments, the homeless comments and all the Zolayes stalking.

It's funny how things turn around so quickly, now about 90 percent of the forum wants the guy gone. That's why you never give up on your opinion, no matter how many people are laughing at you, don't let people actually make you believe that you're wrong, trust your instincts.

Despite all that Essien's the one that can't buy a game. Funny how it works out eh?

The hate towards Mikel is something I just cant wrap my head around. In football defending plays as important role as attacking(chelseas road to CL victory proves this) and in my opinion Mikel is a highly intelligent player who handles the defensive holding DM role very well. He is excellent at winning back the ball, tackling and keeping posession under pressure. Next time you see him play I beg you to look more closely to the passes he makes and you'll realise that he picks out the best possible pass in his position. He isn't passing the ball backwards just to piss you off, he is doing it to keep posession enabling chelsea to come out clean from opponents pressuring the ball.

Also a vid,its an old one I know but look at those tackles, he is immense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T-7T2rza3k

Well we have to use someone as a scapegoat..and Kalou is gone, so...

Because we don't have any other possible scapegoats, like maybe a £50 million misfiring striker?

Why start up with the scapegoat bullshit again? Trolling?

You've blamed him for results when he wasn't even with the team by insulting him for playing with his NT in the AFCONs and then called him a "weak human being" when you couldn't find anything football related to criticize about him :lol:

But, nooo, of course Mikel has never been used as a scapegoat.

You've blamed him for results when he wasn't even with the team by insulting him for playing with his NT in the AFCONs and then called him a "weak human being" when you couldn't find anything football related to criticize about him :lol:

But, nooo, of course Mikel has never been used as a scapegoat.

I've questioned his commitment to the cause, much like I did after his comments before Rubin Kazan and his subsequent performance.

Do you need that explaining to you again or are you capable of finding those comments and the explanations associated with them at the time?

I've questioned his commitment to the cause, much like I did after his comments before Rubin Kazan and his subsequent performance.

Do you need that explaining to you again or are you capable of finding those comments and the explanations associated with them at the time?

The "weak human being" comments were way before the EL. So hateful..

Well we have to use someone as a scapegoat..and Kalou is gone, so...

That is an ignorant post to be fair mate, you can't say that, there is reason for people wanting Mikel gone. The evidence was there he had a bad season, even Skipper admits that. Your argument has been that he is good enough for the team and will show that in the future, he hasn't shown that yet and this argument has been going on for a year and a half?

So it's ignorant to say that all this is just because we need someone as a scapegoat.

The "weak human being" comments were way before the EL. So hateful..

And I stand by them. What's up Choulo? Short of your required post count for the day?

Quality over quantity dear. Maybe take a few days off in a quiet room. I'm sure we'll cope.

That is an ignorant post to be fair mate, you can't say that, there is reason for people wanting Mikel gone. The evidence was there he had a bad season, even Skipper admits that. Your argument has been that he is good enough for the team and will show that in the future, he hasn't shown that yet and this argument has been going on for a year and a half?

So it's ignorant to say that all this is just because we need someone as a scapegoat.

A year and a half? A year and a half ago Mikel was putting on one of the best performances I've seen by a holding midfielder in the champions league final no less. Yes he had an inconsistent bad season last time around but so did quite a lot of our players. It does not warrant all the hate he gets which has anyway been going on even when he was putting in great performances under Carlo.

And I stand by them. What's up Choulo? Short of your required post count for the day?

Quality over quantity dear. Maybe take a few days off in a quiet room. I'm sure we'll cope.

Yes, I should only stalk the Mikel thread and attack anyone who praises him. You haven't posted for a couple of days but less than two minutes since I made post you were quick to attack. So much quality..

Anyway, I won't turn this into a fight like you want to. I've seen you "debate" way too often to fall for that. So have a good day :tophat:

A year and a half? A year and a half ago Mikel was putting on one of the best performances I've seen by a holding midfielder in the champions league final no less. Yes he had an inconsistent bad season last time around but so did quite a lot of our players. It does not warrant all the hate he gets which has anyway been going on even when he was putting in great performances under Carlo.

He was not putting 'great' performances under Carlo, you need to understand what 'great' means. We had the worst midfield of the Roman generation in Carlos 2nd season. And you're trying to convince me that Mikel was putting in great performances? Even though Lampard and Essien started most games?

Okay so last season lets go through with this one. John Obi Mikel put in more bad performances than good ones, then most of them were average and below average. Juan Mata, unbelievable season, Oscar and Hazard very impressive first seasons, Ramires had a very strong season and showed us that he is a good ball winner. Lampard was good regardless of what anyone says, yes he left his other players exposed but he did the job when needed to. So I really don't see how anyone was as bad as Mikel? Ake even had a very good set of games for his age.

Stop making things up as you go along, he hasn't proven to any of us that he's good enough for this team, the evidence isn't there for you, you want to challenge me on performances I'm going to win every single time, until Mikel plays consistently well and establishes himself into a team instead of getting benched by centre backs and 18 year olds you can then challenge me on these sort of debates.

A year and a half? A year and a half ago Mikel was putting on one of the best performances I've seen by a holding midfielder in the champions league final no less.

Im by no means in the hate Mikel society but i the only person who was great in that final was Cech, he made so many great saves, Bayern had 34 shots with 21 on target, it was probably the worst Chelsea performance i have ever seen, just happened to be our best result also.

Everyone had a great final in the Champions League

Bosingwa and Kalou did

Mikels job was only to protect the back 4 yet Lampard made more decisive in the box clearances and interceptions yet no one talks about him just Mikel.

Mikel had the job to protect the back four as did Lampard. Yet Lampard made more decisive in the box clearances and interceptions. However all the talk is about Mikel, it's a very poor argument. He did his duty just like every other player, if you want to see a great performance look no further than Ashley Cole.

Would love too see Obi improve again from last season as to me he looked really good during the 1st half, I was over for a game last season and after the game on his way home he pulled over and had a chat and signed shirt and stuff ,which more footballers should be humbler ,while mata then luiz drove by!

He was not putting 'great' performances under Carlo, you need to understand what 'great' means. We had the worst midfield of the Roman generation in Carlos 2nd season. And you're trying to convince me that Mikel was putting in great performances? Even though Lampard and Essien started most games?

Okay so last season lets go through with this one. John Obi Mikel put in more bad performances than good ones, then most of them were average and below average. Juan Mata, unbelievable season, Oscar and Oscar very impressive first seasons, Ramires had a very strong season and showed us that he is a good ball winner. Lampard was good regardless of what anyone says, yes he left his other players exposed but he did the job when needed to. So I really don't see how anyone was as bad as Mikel? Ake even had a very good set of games for his age.

Stop making things up as you go along, he hasn't proven to any of us that he's good enough for this team, the evidence isn't there for you, you want to challenge me on performances I'm going to win every single time, until Mikel plays consistently well and establishes himself into a team instead of getting benched by centre backs and 18 year olds you can then challenge me on these sort of debates.

We've been through this countless times and it's one am here so I'm going to be very brief. Mikel did put in consistently great performances under Carlo. Essien was injured during most of Carlo's reign, so no he didn't play more than Mikel. Go back and watch our double winning season and in particular the 6 games against the "big four" that arguably won us the title. Mikel had incredible performances in all of them. He was the best DM in the league at the time.

AVB tried to play him in a more advance role but it didn't work. Under RDM he went back to putting in consistent great performances. Last season he started very well but was bad and far inconsistent after returning from the AFCONs despite putting in some good performances like against United. Ramires just as inconsistent a season as Mikel. He was terrible every time he played the holding role but when he played more advanced he often scored which is why you are rating his season higher. Lampard had a terrible season. If I want to be cynical I'd even say that he cared more about breaking the record than the club. David Luiz in midfield, don't even get me started about it. Ake is an excellent prospect but he doesn't even compare to any of our first-teamers.

None of our central midfielders had much better seasons than Mikel but none of them get the stick that he gets.

Im by no means in the hate Mikel society but i the only person who was great in that final was Cech, he made so many great saves, Bayern had 34 shots with 21 on target, it was probably the worst Chelsea performance i have ever seen, just happened to be our best result also.

Read from this post onward about what members here thought about his performance in the CL final: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/29-12-john-obi-mikel/?p=417848

People seem to forget his good games easily but remember every single half-mistake he makes. He was honestly my MOTM after Cech.

Read from this post onward about what members here thought about his performance in the CL final: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/29-12-john-obi-mikel/?p=417848

People seem to forget his good games easily but remember every single half-mistake he makes. He was honestly my MOTM after Cech.

Fair enough but like i said i don't hate Mikel, im more than happy with him staying but imo we were absolutely awful in the Champions League final, we couldn't get out of our own half for most of it. Yes the players were playing their heart out but you don't concede god knows how many chances if your defense has been good, it was the most one sided cup final i have ever seen.

Chelsea fans, players and club as a whole will never be able to properly re-pay Cech for that night.

We've been through this countless times and it's one am here so I'm going to be very brief. Mikel did put in consistently great performances under Carlo. Essien was injured during most of Carlo's reign, so no he didn't play more than Mikel. Go back and watch our double winning season and in particular the 6 games against the "big four" that arguably won us the title. Mikel had incredible performances in all of them. He was the best DM in the league at the time.

AVB tried to play him in a more advance role but it didn't work. Under RDM he went back to putting in consistent great performances. Last season he started very well but was bad and far inconsistent after returning from the AFCONs despite putting in some good performances like against United. Ramires just as inconsistent a season as Mikel. He was terrible every time he played the holding role but when he played more advanced he often scored which is why you are rating his season higher. Lampard had a terrible season. If I want to be cynical I'd even say that he cared more about breaking the record than the club. David Luiz in midfield, don't even get me started about it. Ake is an excellent prospect but he doesn't even compare to any of our first-teamers.

None of our central midfielders had much better seasons than Mikel but none of them get the stick that he gets.

Forget about all the haters of Mikel and the ones that say he's shit, stop bringing that into the discussion, I don't care about them and neither should you, this is mine and your debate now.

Best DM in the league is a big claim to make, and it's a claim you've made many times. There is not enough evidence of performances to say Mikel is the best DM in the league, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. And by the way if you read my post I said Carlo's 2nd season, not his 1st, you said that he was our star midfielder during carlo era, that still includes 2nd season. You want to go back 4 years ago when we where a different side? Okay sure then but it's not going to do much good, if that's the debate why don't we get Drogba back? Oh that's right he's 35 years old now and not the player he once was.

Ramires was not as inconsistent as Mikel, Ramires had a good patch of games, Mikel didn't. I don't rate Ramires as highly as most of the forum do, infact I hate how bad of a footballer he is at times, and I would choose Mikel over him any day if we are playing in our own half. I beleive Mikel should've started against Bayern and United, but we aren't going to have games like that all the time.

Lets face it Mikel wont fit into the 4-2-3-1, that's not his style, it requires more fluidity, not someone staying back all the time. One thing you need to stop doing is saying stuff like 'great' and 'amazing' it's silly, if he was putting in 'great' performances he would be at Madrid or Barcelona, so lets quit the bull shit. Mikel has let the side down defensively, he's no good in the holding midfield role either, he isn't good off the ball, he can't mark quality players, he can't deal with pace. Mikel can't cover space, it's a huge weakness.

This is the Premier League, players must cover space and Mikel can't do it, the amount of players he has let go in the box, Grant Holt with Norwich springs to mind? Also Luiz wasn't as bad as you thought he was, he did the trick, he added drive that we needed, he would never fit there in the long term no way, he wasn't structured or disciplined enough, Benitez only shot him there to get the ball upfield and do something, we where only trying to win as much games as we could then and midfield was lacking so much. The fact that Mikel has been benched by so many shows that he is lacking in quality, he has shown on the pitch that he can make mistakes and he has. Mikel is and never has been world class because sometimes he can't even do his duty. He has never flourished when he needed to.

5 seasons ago he was the passenger not the maestro, Lampard and Ballack did all the work in midfield, we had a great side then, it wasn't John Obi Xavi Mikel who was pulling all the strings, but for some reason only you remember it that way. He will always be overrated and underrated, and there is a reason for it, because he can't show what he is capable of, not because he didn't have the chance he did, because he failed when he got the opportunity, he lacks character and determination, and it's a huge reason why I think we should sell him.