What music do you like?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally don't listen to pop as such, but my favourite since childhood has been Michael Jackson.

My most diverse genre is metal, I listen to many bands from there, favourites include: Metallica, Paradise Lost, Caliban, Dagoba, Marilyn Manson, Anathema, Rammstein, Oomph!, SOAD... etc. Porcupine Tree is also class, not exactly metal, but whatever.

Also listen to harder grind and gore: Whitechapel, Anal Cunt, Napalm Death, I Declare War, Eyehategod, Extreme Noise Terror, Carcass, Cannibal Corpse, Autopsy... and some bands which would get me banned if I spelled them :P

From rap/hip-hop I like: Eminem, Bad Meets Evil, 2Pac, Cypress Hill, Immortal Technique is also good... some Biggie Smalls and Jay-Z songs are good, but I haven't listened to them thoroughly.

And old-school stuff like The Beatles, AC/DC, Alice In Chains, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd...

• 2 months later...

^ Like I said in the previous post, Linguistic professors analyzed and hailed Rappers as modern day Shakespeares. These are intellectuals, individuals who excelled through their fields and have earned the titles as linguistic professors. I image you've only ever listened to commercial mainstream r&b, that's not rap music.

lets see if the rappers last as long as Shakespeares work has.

could you print out some of the lyrics so we can compare it to some of Shakespeares.

lets see if the rappers last as long as Shakespeares work has.

could you print out some of the lyrics so we can compare it to some of Shakespeares.

Illmatic is a good place to start, that album has been subjected to academic analysis. Duke University have a study class for that album too. Professor Mark Anthony Neal & Bucknell University's Professor Dr. James Peterson broadcasted that class on youtube. Proffessor Eric Dyson and various linguistic professor's wrote the book 'born to use mics', which would also be a good point to start off, if you wish to compare.

I'd also recommend rapgenius.com, where they explain and meticulously critique rap as poetry.

I don't discredit some rap material, but the mainstream rap/hip hop of some artists completely devalues any lyrical genius in that genre, when you have talentless coming-and-going "talent" emerge and then never be heard of again - the sort of person who sings about bitches and hookers and nothing else. But as I say I don't discredit it, but comparing it to Shakespeare is a far-fetched analogy... comparing it to Lennon/McCartney or Springsteen would be more apt.

Illmatic is a good place to start, that album has been subjected to academic analysis. Duke University have a study class for that album too. Professor Mark Anthony Neal & Bucknell University's Professor Dr. James Peterson broadcasted that class on youtube. Proffessor Eric Dyson and various linguistic professor's wrote the book 'born to use mics', which would also be a good point to start off, if you wish to compare.

I'd also recommend rapgenius.com, where they explain and meticulously critique rap as poetry.

You Quote ONE professor who is a self admitted lover or Hip Hop ,,,hardly overwhelming evidence for such an extreme claim

the sort of person who sings about bitches and hookers and nothing else.

Ultimately that mirrors the moral and intelectual level of the society. If most rap songs are about bitches, it's because, the majority of the current generation want to hear about bitches. (as sad and messed up as that may sound)

Great tunes from the file Drive

Should get the Oscar for OST.

You Quote ONE professor who is a self admitted lover or Hip Hop ,,,hardly overwhelming evidence for such an extreme claim

As Nas said himself he is the "modern Shakespeare - reincarnated". All I'm saying is the likes of rakim who went beyond flat-footed rhythms with eric. b in paid in full, Nas who was 18/19 (forgot) when he made illmatic, Pac, wu-tang, gang-starr are pioneers too. Far as I'm concerned they I prefer all of them to Shakespeare because his stuff doesn't appeal - it was a different era, different topics and focuses. Besides who knew if he ever intended to write in the iambic pentamater too etc.? I'm not denying his greatness though. If you want to hear a story from Mr. Nas listen to this:

http://www.last.fm/user/TheResurection

I may as list a few of my favourite ablums. It's just a shortlist, really.

Queens Is Dead - The Smiths

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine

Kaputt - Destroyer

Halcyon Digest - Deerhunter

Young Team - Mogwai

I may not speak the language(s) but I bloody love these two.

Ágætis Byrjun - Sigur Ros

Histoire De Melody Nelson - Serge Gainsbourg

There seems to be a lot of Rap/Hip Hop fans on here so I'm going to drop this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Dream

There isn't any Rapping on the record, but the music sweeps clean nearly everything of the last ten years. Yes even, Kanye and Jay Z.

talking about Shakespeare... I've heard that it's debated that he might not even have written the pieces himself, but by different writers. I don't know much about it, it's just something that my literature teacher told us (basically the only thing I remember about him :D ). It's a possibility that Shakespeare wasn't the genius at all like widely considered, I don't know.

Eminem has and always will be my fav, along with T.I, 50 cent, Wiz Khalifa

I listen to U.K grime- older songs by Dizzee, Skpeta, JME, KANO and Roll Deep. not so much the current grime thats out today.

. and with pop i just like tinie tempah (especially his old stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PzEAyUrv4A8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...