What music do you like?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy Metal and Techno (Dubstep/Drum n Bass/Trance etc) music is the best, without a doubt. I despise mainstream music like Hip Hop, Rap, R n B, Modern Pop songs etc....sickening :mouthclosed:

Hip Hop is not 'mainstream', but there is a mainstream version of 'every' music genre.

The music you claim to be "the best, without a doubt" is intellectually redundant, compared to linguistic professor approved rap music.

Hip Hop is not 'mainstream', but there is a mainstream version of 'every' music genre.

The music you claim to be "the best, without a doubt" is intellectually redundant, compared to linguistic professor approved rap music.

I hope you're joking because Rap is rubbish IMO,

Better not let TX see that.

As a fan, discounting trends in the last 10 years or so, it's far from rubbish. Try listening to some proto-rap from the 70s, and more evolved rap in the 80s and 90s.

Very varied, Like everything really.

Really liking the Libertines atm, I'd say them, KOL, RHCP, Blink 182, Oasis and The Foo's are my current favourites. Going to see the Foo Fighters in August, and I've seen Blink 182 and KOL live.

You've never listened to 'rap' music in your life then..

You say you dislike mainstream music, yet you've judged Hip Hop by that very medium, like I said, every genre of music has a mainstream version. Intellectually, rap music is above and superior to the music genres you listed.

You say you dislike mainstream music, yet you've judged Hip Hop by that very medium, like I said, every genre of music has a mainstream version. Intellectually, rap music is above and superior to the music genres you listed.

I disagree. I believe the music I listed is far superior. No competition really. But Music is too subjective, so let's stop arguing.

Arguments over music are endless and without definite conclusions, there are no right or wrongs. It's the same as with food - you might not like something that somebody else likes, that is the concept of taste. In case of music, instead of tasting it using your tongue, you use your brain's limbic system. What and how it reacts to varies from person to person. Intellectual substance of any genre is too broad to conclusively state which one is which, I think it can't be assigned.. it's rather like with everything in life, you analyze and consume the smaller details of a bigger group. What I mean is that for example artists and specific songs can be compared in certain aspects, not genres as a whole. In case of rap, I really enjoy the deeper artists and messages, instead of the materialistic and misogynistic ones.. they belong in the same category/genre, but represent two totally different spectrums of the same side. This can be said for most of music.

In my opinion it's a misunderstanding and rather sad that people get categorized as either metalheads, rappers or whoever, while it's somewhat wrong to be both. I personally enjoy everything, it very much depends.. I listen to many variations of metal, rap/hip-hop, rock and pop to some extent. Hell, I even listen to artists and songs which I don't know in what genre to categorize, I just enjoy without labelling them.

TX is right, every genre has its mainstream and more often than not that mainstream is horrible.