test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

nachikethas

22. Christian Pulisic

Started by nachikethas,

1,195 posts in this topic
5 minutes ago, Jason said:

I swear an animal dies somewhere every time @Vesper brings out the goals/assists stats to judge players...

Its not just goal and assists. He seems to have a weak shot as well. I do grant he is hella pacey, but I certianly do not see a player meriting around £60m just off potential. Its just my observations and my opinion. I hope I am made to look a fool by him.

Also, goals and assists are kind of a big thing for a winger. . Unless we are going to go back to 1930's footie and play with defensive forwards.

He did have one good assist year, with 13, on the Dembele/Aubameyang team

mccg and Supermonkey92 like this

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Its not just goal and assists. He seems to have a weak shot as well. I do grant he is hella pacey, but I certianly do not see a player meriting around £60m just off potential. Its just my observations and my opinion. I hope I am made to look a fool by him

It's 2019. That's the nature of the transfer market these days, whether we like it or not.

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Also, goals and assists are kind of a big thing for a winger. Unless he are going to go back to 1930's footie and play with defensive forwards.

I don't disagree goals and assists from wingers are important but you have made it out as if those numbers are gonna stick forever and the player in question won't contribute more in the future.

8 minutes ago, Vesper said:

He did have one good assist year, with 13, on the Dembele/Aubameyang team

Goals are goals. Assists are assists. Does it really matter who Pulisic played with in the team? If attacking players don't score or assist, they get criticized. If they score or assist, there's suddenly an excuse of 'oh, those numbers are only high because he plays with Player X in the team'.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Goals are goals. Assists are assists. Does it really matter who Pulisic played with in the team?

Erm, yes

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

035cfe51930ecdf1ae09e7a077c482c1.png

Ousmane Dembélé

dc3a68c1e88cdba98c234c88f7c7e92d.png

Marco Reus (was tracking to close to 26 to 30 goals until injured)

1d6cc10e3df93c15a60aa303325afb85.png

overall, they scored 110 goals that year, all comps

they had 5 other players with 5 or more goals as well

their fullbacks alone scored 15 goals combined

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

Erm, yes

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

035cfe51930ecdf1ae09e7a077c482c1.png

Ousmane Dembélé

dc3a68c1e88cdba98c234c88f7c7e92d.png

Marco Reus (was tracking to close to 26 to 30 goals until injured)

1d6cc10e3df93c15a60aa303325afb85.png

overall, they scored 110 goals that year, all comps

they had 5 other players with 5 or more goals as well

their fullbacks alone scored 15 goals combined

Yeah and...

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

If attacking players don't score or assist, they get criticized. If they score or assist, there's suddenly an excuse of 'oh, those numbers are only high because he plays with Player X in the team'.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah and...

If you have a huge scoring player or two it is more likely you will end up with a lot more assists. Look at the players assist totals at Barca and Real in those massive Messi and CR7 years. 

Last year, (with no Aubameyang, no Demebele, and Reus out for 2/3rds of the year) playing as basically a fulltime starter, Pulisic had 4 league goals and 6 assists.  In his other 10 non league games, 1 goal, 1 assist. 

Teammates matter.

Supermonkey92 likes this

USMNT: Cynic in me hates Christian Pulisic Chelsea move

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/01/21/usmnt-cynic-hates-christian-pulisic-chelsea-move/

Christian Pulisic transferred to Chelsea this January and will join up with them in the summer. The cynic in me hates this move for the USMNT star’s career.

Manchester United did not sign Park Ji-Sung for purely footballing reasons. Shinji Kagawa was also not at Old Trafford solely because of what he could deliver between the white lines. The same could be said for Park Chu-Young at Arsenal.

While all these players offered varying degrees of utility to their respective teams and eras, their signings were not exclusively based on their ability. The modern football world is as much a business one as it is a sporting one, and these acquisitions had as much to do about business as they did football.

Man. Utd are subsequently the most popular team in East Asia, Korea and Japan specifically. Arsenal, similarly, are well-liked among African communities, with the likes of Kanu, Patrick Vieira, Alex Song and now Alex Iwobi, Mohamed Elneny and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang all heralding from Africa.

Not all transfers are made with a business angle. And I believe that very few are solely because of the commercial boost their arrival brings. The player must be of a minimum standard, no matter the size of the market he may allow his prospective club to tap into. But it would be naive to think that all decisions in football are not tainted by business somewhat. And clubs’ work in the transfer market is no difference.

This January, Chelsea signed U.S. Men’s National Team star Christian Pulisicfrom Borussia Dortmund in a $73.1 million deal. Much has been made of the deal, which was announced almost three weeks ago and includes a six-month loan back to Dortmund for the remainder of the year, but it is clear that for Pulisic this is a chance to further his career and shine on the biggest stage in world football, the Premier League. For the USMNT, that is no bad thing.

snip

2 hours ago, mccg said:

Yeah. Wonder who the other club might be...

Vesper likes this

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah. Wonder who the other club might be...

Parsing this out, he ruled out 'the one' that all were talking about.' That would be Victimpool.

I dont think Spurs would dish out almost £60m quid for a fairly unproven winger, Levy is cheap as fuck, plus they already have three either very very good or pretty decent 26yo wingers who can play either side.

I dont see Everton or West Ham or Leicester or Wolves or Fulham dumping this sort of cash (those are the only other sorta big spenders in the EPL), and zero chance Shitty would buy another RWer, as they are fucking LOADED there already.

That leaves 2 teams.

Arsenal is on record as saying they can only loan players atm. They really do need wingers, as they literally have only one true one atm, in Alex Iwobi, who is a LW, so Pulisic could surely be of use for them at RW, BUT the only way it could be them is IF they are flat out lying about no cash to buy atm. Maybe they are, who knows, but I will, with some trepidation, take them at their word. Under Wenger etc, they didnt seem to be a lying, duplicitous club, for all their other faults (unlike half of Serie A, BAYERN (along with Juve and Napoli by far the worst), and PSG/Real/Barca/AM.)

Sooooooo

It pretty much had to be Manure I think, and they do need another RW, as they only have the uber streaky Lingard there atm. I guess Puli was either sold on living in London v Mancville (I surely would be) and/or he is a Chels fan over all the rest.

Fernando likes this

On 1/19/2019 at 1:31 PM, Jason said:

goals and assists from wingers are important but you have made it out as if those numbers are gonna stick forever and the player in question won't contribute more in the future

Our problem is tho that at this moment what we do need are goals and assists. We should keep the lads 'WITH POTENTIAL' as backups. And for the money we paid I cant see him being back up.

We really should be looking at players who are currently scoring goals / assists.

And if he was the fastest player on the pitch with an amazing cross we still need players moving into positions to take advantage.

Lets hope Higs will create a stir cause right now we got a bunch of lads with no fire in their belly that we know they have.

Supermonkey92 likes this

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, Jason said:

This all sounds encouraging. In fact, I'd like to add a fourth wide player of quality. Let's be able to cover absences, and to rotate freely as the manager wishes. That's the kind of power we all want.

Some might worry that such a setup would limit opportunities for Callum but actually a more powerful squad could encourage the manager to play youth more often, secure in the knowledge that the team can handle the situation. As long as the manager worries that his team can only compete when it features all of his top players, performing at the top of their game, he will always avoid using other members of his squad. As counter intuitive as it seems, a more powerful squad is better for fringe players than a weak one.

Also, we all loved it once upon a time when our squad had that kind of depth.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 0:09 PM, Warning_Hazard said:

good signing ignore the incel keyboard fanboys/girls

This is encouraging too. Hope Christian is equally confident when he arrives. It'll help him and that can only help you to be saying, "I told you so.", a few months from now. I'm all for that. If Christian is doing the business this time next year then lay it on thick.

DYC., Unionjack and Johnnyeye like this

I think there is an unhealthy obsession with the G+A stats of Pulisic considering his age.

Far from all the top wingers of today were boasting impressive numbers when they were 20.
Robben just joined Chelsea having already had injury problems and not exactly scoring a lot in PSV, Ribery was in Brest with not too much end product, Bale was still associated with never having won a PL game for Spurs (and was often benched for Assou-Ekotto), Salah was a promising speedster in Basel, Alexis Sanchez had 5+3 in 25 games in Udinese.
There is a pluriad of examples, and I find it lazy to just look for reasons why he will fail. He might, but he can also show the development that all of the examples above did and end up one of the top wingers in the world.   

13 minutes ago, Rekin said:

I think there is an unhealthy obsession with the G+A stats of Pulisic considering his age.

Far from all the top wingers of today were boasting impressive numbers when they were 20.
Robben just joined Chelsea having already had injury problems and not exactly scoring a lot in PSV, Ribery was in Brest with not too much end product, Bale was still associated with never having won a PL game for Spurs (and was often benched for Assou-Ekotto), Salah was a promising speedster in Basel, Alexis Sanchez had 5+3 in 25 games in Udinese.
There is a pluriad of examples, and I find it lazy to just look for reasons why he will fail. He might, but he can also show the development that all of the examples above did and end up one of the top wingers in the world.   

I'm happy that we signed him. And I was hoping  that it was the start of a new trend in the way the board was thinking towards bringing in good young up and coming players so they could grow together and be a good basis for our future.

But while I do agree with what you say our problem is right now that we don;t have any player we can gotoo for either G's or A's. And as its NORMALLY the top 3 we look to just MAYBE we would have done better looking for players who can give us some.

Johnnyeye likes this

6 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Finally in starting 11. Not impressed so far.

yup. did not even notice he was playing unti lthe commentator mentioned his move to us explicitly. Has been completely under the radar. Even Götze has been better so far. 

28 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

yup. did not even notice he was playing unti lthe commentator mentioned his move to us explicitly. Has been completely under the radar. Even Götze has been better so far. 

Things I like about him is his movement and hard working mentality. Opposite to Willian.