Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

4 minutes ago, DDA said:

Watching back his highlights of his first season .... he wasn't this bad.

Something has happened to this guy... mentally, he's not there. 

Watch his highlights of him at Bilbao... he is highlt energetic... ready to save anything and everything. He has far better positioning. 

Now he looks scared to save the ball ffs.

Most def, he looks shot mentally

9 minutes ago, DDA said:

Watching back his highlights of his first season .... he wasn't this bad.

Something has happened to this guy... mentally, he's not there. 

Watch his highlights of him at Bilbao... he is highly energetic... ready to save anything and everything. He has far better positioning. 

Now he looks scared to save the ball ffs.

There were some reports of him breaking up with his girlfriend around January. I have no idea myself but I remember reading it and the papers focusing on it, saying his form is down to this.

1 minute ago, Milan said:

There were some reports of him breaking up with his girlfriend around January. I have no idea myself but I remember reading it and the papers focusing on it, saying his form is down to this.

Well he needs to man the fuck up otherwise he will end up in the Spanish 3rd division looking for the dregs on plenty of fish.

2 minutes ago, Milan said:

Yeah, I remember that too. For a keeper it's very dangerous if his head is not in the game. Breaking up with his girl might have affected him for a while, but as time went on and his performances hit rock bottom it takes miracles to recover the confidence. 

But either way, I've never really considered Kepa a top keeper. He was doing okay last season but even then he never showed any world class potential. 

24 minutes ago, Puliiszola said:

I think all of this kepa leaving is impossible imo.

He was bought for 70m on a 7 year contract, which makes his amortized value 10m per year.

Basically we need to sell him for atleast 50m to break even for 2020/21, which is next to impossible. 

Best thing would be to keep him. Build a defence. Get a LB, a CB. And hope he comes good. He was no where near bad in Bilbao, or even during the first half of the last season. 

Can't pinpoint exactly, but he seemed to be doing well till the city incident. Even replaced DdG as Spain's no.1, did not he? 

Again, don't know what's wrong with him, or that he is just out of his depth. But the best course of action financially would be to stick with him and build the defence.

Problem is when our XGA rate is up there with Liverpool and the keepers save% is the worst in PL history out of first choice keepers that strongly suggests it's more a keeper issue than defense (not atall saying the latter is blameless).

For example yesterday we were nervous late in the game despite the fact Norwich created nothing/we kept them completely at bay because we knew any sort of clean strike could end up as a goal. How many times this season has our opponents only real efforts lead to goals?

We need new defenders to catch up with the elite but a new keeper has to be first port of call to make the next step (comfortable top 4, not frittering away points in games we're comfortable in and somewhat more competitive in the CL). We may not be able to sell him this summer but he's still highly thought off in Spain so we'll be able to find a loan home for him, if there's a will there's a way, even United found somewhere for Alexis.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Problem is when our XGA rate is up there with Liverpool and the keepers save% is the worst in PL history out of first choice keepers that strongly suggests it's more a keeper issue than defense (not atall saying the latter is blameless).

Came across this...

EczP7NqVcAE6EZ8?format=jpg&name=medium

24 minutes ago, Tomo said:

call to make the next step (comfortable top 4, not frittering away points in games we're comfortable in and somewhat more competitive in the CL).

We are already there with Werner and Ziyech.

Buying Havertz and fixing defense will have to make us competitive with Liverpool and City.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

For example yesterday we were nervous late in the game despite the fact Norwich created nothing/we kept them completely at bay because we knew any sort of clean strike could end up as a goal. How many times this season has our opponents only real efforts lead to goals?

We need new defenders to catch up with the elite but a new keeper has to be first port of call to make the next step (comfortable top 4, not frittering away points in games we're comfortable in and somewhat more competitive in the CL). We may not be able to sell him this summer but he's still highly thought off in Spain so we'll be able to find a loan home for him, if there's a will there's a way, even United found somewhere for Alexis.

Agree with everything you have said.

Unfortunately given our shortcomings and the number of players we still need to buy despite already spending almost 100m € , I just can't see it being a possibility. 

I still feel he is not half as bas as he is currently playing. Maybe with a better CB, and literally any half decent LB, he gains some confidence and regains some form, does not need to be the Bilbao form, even the one he showed at the start of his Chelsea career.

Timo, ziyech, kai, gk, cb, lb. That's a 300-350m overlay. 

Plus making a loss on sales of kepa. Plus loss of match revenue. I mean I just don't see it happening. Unless the club has said "fuck ffp"

16 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Highly unlikely his wages would be met, would cause unrest in the squad for one

I don't believe these numbers of 400kpw.

https://bleacherreport.com › 28...
Jan Oblak, Atletico Madrid Agree on New Contract Until 2023 | Bleacher Report | Latest ...

https://en.as.com › En › Football
Oblak will renew with Atlético at €10 million per season - AS.com

These sources put him at 10m€ per season or around 200kpw €. Where as people are claiming it to be literally double. 

https://www.sportbible.com › ne...
UEFA Reveal The Top 20 Highest Club Wage Bills In Europe - SPORTbible

At around 180m wage bill, Atletico would be giving oblak 10% of the club's overall wages. Nah. Don't buy it.

3 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

I don't believe these numbers of 400kpw.

https://bleacherreport.com › 28...
Jan Oblak, Atletico Madrid Agree on New Contract Until 2023 | Bleacher Report | Latest ...

https://en.as.com › En › Football
Oblak will renew with Atlético at €10 million per season - AS.com

These sources put him at 10m€ per season or around 200kpw €. Where as people are claiming it to be literally double. 

https://www.sportbible.com › ne...
UEFA Reveal The Top 20 Highest Club Wage Bills In Europe - SPORTbible

At around 180m wage bill, Atletico would be giving oblak 10% of the club's overall wages. Nah. Don't buy it.

Yeah you're probably right. Theres what his agent says hes paid, and then the real figure. Easily verified if neccesary by our accountants though.

15 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Google: Atletico Madrid salaries.

Every site has Oblak on 400k euros per week.

https://eurofootballrumours.com › at...
Web results
Atletico Madrid Players Salaries - Euro Football Rumours

I have a really hard time believing these though. Honestly highly skeptical of these numbers.

Atletico's wage bill is significantly lesser than ours despite having 5 players more than 250kpw. 

We conceded 49 goals this PL season. More than teams like Crystal Palace, Burnley, Sheffield United or Arsenal....

Nobody can seriously believe that replacing pur goalkeeper will drastically inprove our situation. Our defence is not well organized, we should rather put our money into a good LB and CB. Kepa has mad mistakes but generally he is fine.

I wonder whether some of people who post here are fully sane; Frustration with Kepa's performances are understandable, but, let alone financial aspect, are You seriously think, that buying some random Turkish/Brazilian/Portugese 2nd division guy and expecting him to hit the ground running and become 1st choice gk in one of top PL clubs will be any better, than shabby Kepa? Like, seriously? Willy was 1st choice for a while and it changed nothing. Oblak? ok. Onana? Ok-ish. But instead of hyping some random who will fail tragically better promote Cumming or make use of Blackman finally. They will be no worse than another panic buy, count as homegrown, fit philosophy of playing academy youth and cash can be spend elsewhere.

I said it before already – Kepa is part of a problem, but club needs serious improvement in gk/defence coaching and some serious sport psychologist – in last decade we've seen a handful of great players, who failed miserably in Chelsea due to mental issues. Yes, in PL pressure is high, but club itself is greatly responsible for this too – if Morata could handle playing in Real, why didn't he handle it here?

If we got eg. this Turkish talent we are linked with, two bad matches and he is over, as he'll get double the stuff thrown at him by fans as Kepa.

Plus, Bulka was just recently sold, so I doubt keeper change is even an option at the club in near future.    

17 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I wonder whether some of people who post here are fully sane; Frustration with Kepa's performances are understandable, but, let alone financial aspect, are You seriously think, that buying some random Turkish/Brazilian/Portugese 2nd division guy and expecting him to hit the ground running and become 1st choice gk in one of top PL clubs will be any better, than shabby Kepa? Like, seriously? 

I guess we would never buy Cech or Courtois if you were in charge. 

28 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I guess we would never buy Cech or Courtois if you were in charge. 

No Drinkwater either :D

But on serious note – Cech came when Cudicini was no 1 and he had time to fight for place. Courtois spent 3 years on loan. I think it's slightly different, than buying someone from way outside top tier as immediate first choice in top team.

Especially given the fact, that lately we suck in GK coaching and development; Kepa regressed massively, U23 guys are not good enough, Bulka impressed in Sarri's preseason but then went down and didn't rebuild even in PSG. So if we got some "prospect" gk, would he really develop here now? And it's not like the club can let itself experiment in this department at the moment. Marina can impress sometimes, so if club can magically pull Oblak due to covid and lucky stars, than yeah, sure, but links with anyone, who had ever stood between posts and seeing that as a salvation and improvement? Meh.

Kepa is not someone, whom club found on Craigslist – he did well, even here, and I guess he didn't suddenly forgot how to catch a ball. If it's a matter of wasting another season to sort the keeper and coaching out I think it makes more sense to waste this time working with him, given the money invested and talent shown, than doing the same, with panic-but unknown. I don't want to defend him too much, as he objectively is not good enough right now, but this situation is super tricky. Especially, when one recalls, that Salah was once not good enough for Chelsea too, even if it was totally different situation <;