John Terry

DavidEU

Regarding resale value, plenty clubs would still pay £10m+ for Terry if he got a contract extension. Though I'm hardly sure 'plenty' would pay that for Ivanovic. In this situation I'd say Terry has made age irrelevant, and that neither would necessarily bring in a transfer fee higher than the other when you consider their abilities.

Teams all over would kill to have Terry. If he's still playing when he's 38, there'll still be the likes of America & Asia calling, whereas his next step, as in next season, will theoretically be walking into any elite team's XI. (It'd be nice for Jose to go back to Inter next season and take Terry with him, no?)

With Ivanovic, the best clubs I can see interested in him *now* are Napoli or Sevilla, and within the next few years, no top clubs at all. There's a reason for that. Reason being Terry is different class. Who else in our team is different class? Why would you let a commodity leave?

10 hours ago, Peace. said:

By this logic, 90% of clubs should sack their players because the bring a negative image, to name a few examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Rooney#Paul_Stretford_controversy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Giggs#Gagging_order

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Ferdinand#Controversies

I would link more, but i don't have so much time in my hands........
I've already made an example, which i think is quite easy to correlate to, say you have the best civil engineer build your house, i don't think you'd care in the slightest if his parents sold drugs/stole clothes or he cheated on his wife.
No disrepect meant, but i feel like the only ones screaming like a virgin :"i'm holier than thou" is a few members who keep bringing his personal life issues into something that should be only a professional issue. No one here is holding Terry's name high in the sky for what he does/ does not in his personal life, no one could, and if someone does, chances are he doesn't know what he's talking about, we are talking about Terry the professional, who always did his job and always went that extra mile, the last player who has been at Chelsea his whole life and as far as his professional life is concerned he's been always impeccable.

9 minutes ago, Leif said:

Regarding resale value, plenty clubs would still pay £10m+ for Terry if he got a contract extension. Though I'm hardly sure 'plenty' would pay that for Ivanovic. In this situation I'd say Terry has made age irrelevant, and that neither would necessarily bring in a transfer fee higher than the other when you consider their abilities.

Teams all over would kill to have Terry. If he's still playing when he's 38, there'll still be the likes of America & Asia calling, whereas his next step, as in next season, will theoretically be walking into any elite team's XI. (It'd be nice for Jose to go back to Inter next season and take Terry with him, no?)

With Ivanovic, the best clubs I can see interested in him *now* are Napoli or Sevilla, and within the next few years, no top clubs at all. There's a reason for that. Reason being Terry is different class. Who else in our team is different class? Why would you let a commodity leave?

No one in their sane mind would pay over £10m for a 35 year old player. 

22 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

He might be the most regular starting member now but will he be starting for us next season ? I don't think so.

Don't you think it's fair though that the manager gets to decide his squad when he shoulders the main blame if it goes wrong ?

Because he has resale value. We can sell him if the manager doesn't want Ivanovic.

Also giving Ivanovic a contract means no other club can pick him up for free. We have control over the situation. If another team wants him they would have to pay and we can sell him if the manager doesn't need him.

No, giving Ivanovic a contract means that he can do what he wants. If he doesn't want to leave, no one can make him, why? Because of the new contract.
Chelsea don't have the power, slavery days are over!

I don't have a problem with giving Ivanovic a contract for the record, but John deserves a new one too.
The new manager doesn't have to play him, but having John in the house isn't bad, imo. He can help the new coach out, help the youngsters and talk to the press!

2 minutes ago, Leif said:

No i don't think so. Age and lenght of contract play a great deal in player value. Terry does poor on both.

There is another reason though why Terry's situation is different then Ivanovic. Imagine if we give Terry his contract extension now and, in the summer, the new manager comes in and says he doesn't want Terry around and we sell him.

How do you think the fans would react to that decision ?  Going from thinking that Terry would still be at this club for another year to not being here anymore and it would all be because of that new manager.

Wouldn't be a good way to start your season as a Chelsea manager now would it ?

12 hours ago, Belgiannutt said:

Think you're all missing the point. The board simply doesn't owe John Terry a new contract. They aren't obligated in any way to give John Terry a new contract.

John Terry has shown loyalty to us by staying, yes but the club has also shown loyalty to him by sticking with him through let's call them "unfortunate situations" ( the ones that Peace mentioned). 

Not to mention he's been paid quite well over the years here. Would he have shown the same type of loyalty to us if Roman didn't buy the club which allowed us to give him his £150 000 a week and made us a team that challenged for the biggest prizes ?

Probably not but  that's okay. Big players go to clubs (or stay at them) that pay well and challenge for prizes. So don't go acting like Terry was doing us some sort of favour by sticking around here. We simply never gave him any reason to look elsewhere.

It's perfectly fine to want Terry to stay and to be sad about him potentially leaving the club after his long time here (no doubt, he has been great for us) but acting as if it's such a disgrace, such an outrage that we aren't offering him a contract without knowing if the next manager wants him around is ridiculous and way over the top.

No of course Terry shouldn't be offered a new contract because the board owes him anything, he should be offered a new contract because it is clearly in the best interest of the club to do and he can still offer a lot to the club. 

Cahill and Ivanovic have market values (and to be clear, we're talking here about a few million, at most 5-7m and nothing actually worth while) not because of their age, but because we have offered them contracts. If it were possible, any team in the world right now would rather have JT in their ranks than any of Cahill and Ivanovic....except obviously our own board!

10 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

Ah yes ofcourse, two sides tell their story. The first side tells his story, you go absolutely nuts (suggesting a boycot of a major game, calling it an outrage and insulting the board).

Other side comes out with their story a day later, you go hold on let's think about this, they might be lying for their own best interest. :lol:

If JT turns out to be lying, then I would take everything I said back and obviously he would have damaged his own image. But if 'exclusive source' turns out to be lying then the board would not be affected because they didn't actually put out a statement about. Some journo granted anonymity to an unknown faceless employee. 

So yeah, I would be A LOT more inclined to believe JT's side simply because he can actually be held responsible for it. 

1 hour ago, CHOULO19 said:

No of course Terry shouldn't be offered a new contract because the board owes him anything, he should be offered a new contract because it is clearly in the best interest of the club to do and he can still offer a lot to the club. 

Cahill and Ivanovic have market values (and to be clear, we're talking here about a few million, at most 5-7m and nothing actually worth while) not because of their age, but because we have offered them contracts. If it were possible, any team in the world right now would rather have JT in their ranks than any of Cahill and Ivanovic....except obviously our own board!

If JT turns out to be lying, then I would take everything I said back and obviously he would have damaged his own image. But if 'exclusive source' turns out to be lying then the board would not be affected because they didn't actually put out a statement about. Some journo granted anonymity to an unknown faceless employee. 

So yeah, I would be A LOT more inclined to believe JT's side simply because he can actually be held responsible for it. 

It might be clear for you Choulo (that keeping Terry is in the best interest and that he can still offer a lot to the club) but at the end of the day what you think and what i think is in the best interest of this club doesn't matter.

The only think that matters in this situation is what the new manager thinks is in the best interest of this club. If he doesn't think giving Terry a new contract is then we shouldn't give  him one. If he does then we're going to give Terry a new contract.

Fans are just going to have to accept whatever gets decided by the new manager.

Like i said before age and length of contract have a big impact on player value. Ivanovic and Cahill are both younger and can be (and have been) offered longer contracts because of that. ( yes giving them new contracts does raise their value but they're we're given those contracts because of their age.(ofcourse not just because of their age but it was a big factor))  Age is essentially a cap for contract lengths. The older a player gets the shorter the (offered) contract length gets.  Say what you will but Terry's age simply works against him. It doesn't allow us to give him a 2 year contract (too much of a risk) which would have indeed raised his value a bit.

Cahill and Ivanovic would go for more then 5-7 million.

Even if the club would deny the exlusive source his claims,which i doubt they'd do, you wouldn't buy it and still hold them responsible for it as would many other people. 

Sorry Choulo but that's not a valid reason to heavily imply the "exclusive source " ,aka the club, is lying while taking everything John Terry says at face value.

4 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Yes you quoted some of the half truths about his family -stuff that the gutter press like to look down their noses at -a working class footballer who comes from poverty and digging up . The best footballers come from the street, Sanchez, Messi, Costa, Rooney, Ronaldo all with troubled home lives and families -in Terrys case playing on Hackney Marshes and a council estate. Snotty journos who have had a middle class existence like nothing more than attacking a working class, or black boxer made good. The reason a horrible piece of shit like Joey Barton is still feted and prostituted around clubs is solely because he raises revenue, any other profession and he would be in jail.

It seemed to me your post was just rehashing media tittle tattle, trying to make out the board were being saintly in keeping him. The reason the club didn't get rid of him because the sum of the benefit  (trophies and money) outweighed the scandal factor by a mile. It has nothing to do with them being benign employers .No, it would have been a hard business decision based on his superb ability and the money he brings to the club, a decision based on sheer economics, plus the fear of fan backlash in terms of the boards own spinelessness. 

But if we have to drag up his private life lets not forget the other  stuff John does, all the out of club  boxing training routines he does to keep at peak fitness. The stuff that doesn't sell papers -like the millions hes given to charity, the lifts he gives to fans in his Bentley to away games, and all the selfless stuff for the Small Steps Project, Make a Wish Foundation, and at Great Ormond Street Hospital , spending time with children who have hours to live because of a hideous cancer.

Apart from that, the best defender in the Premier league and Chelsea best player ever.

I think you missed the point again. It's not about the real JT, it's about what the papers sell. What the papers sell hurts JT's image. What hurts JT's image hurts the club. Damn man, you are a smart lad JT has been one of the most hated people in world football of the last decade, don't you agree that hurts the global brand? That whole racism scandal was damn scary, at the time I thought he could have been done for. Racism just isn't something tolerated anymore. It doesn't matter if it is true, it only matters what the public perceives, imagine if half world thought JT was a racist villain? Well, they do and it makes the club look evil. Peace. never said, that the club was saintly or doing JT favours but they did show loyalty to him  and stuck with him and supported throughout all the time the Press dragged him through the mud, that is all you can ask from the club, isn't it? That is all he said, JT has been loyal to the club and vice versa.

Peace. wasn't criticising JT or Chelsea. He was if anything praising them for sticking with eachother for over twenty years through the good and the bad. How the board was smart enough not to cave into pressure from the world. Imagine how easy it could have been for JT to leave England with the press hounding his every move? A little privacy abroad would be something also on the back of his mind.

The point is the board have done some stupid things but how they've treated JT up until now hasn't been one of them.

Hiddink: "I think the club still wants to keep in touch with John Terry about his future. It was a bit surprising [that he went public]."

Hiddink: "The door is not shut. John’s stats and the view I have on him suggest he’s very fit. He’s performing and he will keep doing that."

Think he'll get the contract to be honest, but he's got to accept it as bit-part and perhaps leading into a coaching role. No doubt club needs to rebuild and build a new guard, but we can't forsake our experience for it.

Does open up the whole 'captaincy' debate now though!