• Matic
    • Oscar
    • Schurrle
    • Costa
    • Hazard
    • Willian (sub)
    • Mikel (sub)
    • Drogba (sub)

1st game, 3 points. First half was very impressive. A little underwhelmed with how we played second half. Was looking forward to more of the same but we were very conservative and was a little frustrated that he went down the method of bringing on Mikel for Oscar when I feel we could have just finished off a much inferior side. The 3 points was the most important thing anyway so I am happy. Fabregas MOTM for me. Made everything look simple and is already leading the assists charts and hopefully he is at the top of the assists chart at the end of the season cool.png

Good to see Costa get his goal on his competitive debut. I thought he was decent. Could have been worse, could have been better but he got his debut goal and looked quite promising first half. I know it is one game and against probably the weakest team in the league but if we play the way we did in the first half against most teams we could reach a goal glut imo. The big games was not a problem last season. It was against teams like Burnley and teams a little better but now we have that genius Fabregas along with a quality striker for once I reckon we will be much more successful in games where teams try to contain us.

Anyway like I said we got 3 points. Impressive performance. Great first half. Everyone was solid. Fabregas the standout player. Bring on Leicester. I hope to see Luis at LB in this game though. Perfect game for him to start cool.png

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first thought was Oscar was poor, but he worked hard and with Cesc in the team there's less pressure to be 'creative'. At times the spacing between Cesc, Matic and Oscar was terrible but that'll improve with time.

Oscar's job might simply be to facilitate Fabregas.

Oscar is our new water carrier ,,, that is not an insult

My first thought was Oscar was poor, but he worked hard and with Cesc in the team there's less pressure to be 'creative'. At times the spacing between Cesc, Matic and Oscar was terrible but that'll improve with time.

Oscar's job might simply be to facilitate Fabregas.

I thought that too initially but he grew into the game and delivered a solid if unspectacular performance. He was quite good at dropping into midfield and just keeping the ball moving; if Fabregas can continue to make the difference creatively then Oscar can continue to play what seems to be a more natural game for him.

not really happy with defending tonight. i would always take a 2-0 win over a 3-1 win.

and, i don't know why but i don't have the feeling of security with courtois on goal, as when cech plays. i can't say why, maybe the habit of seeing cech on goal or something.

I thought that too initially but he grew into the game and delivered a solid if unspectacular performance. He was quite good at dropping into midfield and just keeping the ball moving; if Fabregas can continue to make the difference creatively then Oscar can continue to play what seems to be a more natural game for him.

Oscar can pass, tackle and shoot but not perhaps at the level we need from our central creative playmaker. Fabregas can do that.

It also means Van Ginkel could get some time in there for Oscar as the box-to-box midfielder.

I just look at this squad and it's wonderfully balanced in almost every area except striker. There's no real dead wood and we have options in every position. The board deserve immense credit.

My MOTM is Fernando Torres.

As opposed to last season, he didn't fuck up any chances or looked like a complete useless tool on the pitch tonight!

I'm very excited to see him warming up the bench for the rest of the season.

Clearly one of his best performances in a blue shirt!

sarcasm aside the Matic/Fabregas partnership is going to be quite fruitful this season.

I don't even know where to start... that was... unbelievable.

For those who thought the result was more important, they've got it. For those who thought we needed to look convincing, they won't have any complaints.

When was the last time we played with so much fluidity in our attack?

I credit it mainly to my MOTM, Fàbregas. Never regretted choosing him as my fave player and he keeps proving it over and over again. He's been magnificent. It seems like he had eyes in all our other 9 players and with that amazing pass (FAR FROM AVERAGE) and incredible brain he caught Schurrle, Costa, Hazard, everyone and their mothers. He simply changed this team. We dictated the tempo - through him - we were fast, quick, a lot of one-touches, a lot of vertical passes and I don't care if this is Burnley or not, a message was sent and although I only watched some parts of a few matches in this first weekend, based on everyone else's comments I don't have a doubt we were the only convincing team so far (maybe City was too).

While I didn't expect - much less demand - that level of football now, I hope we keep it up. One of our best starts of season was in 2012/13, not only results wise, but we were playing great football then and I don't need to tell what else happened as the FSW ended up managing us (dark days in our beautiful story). So I know this amazing start can be misleading, but I do hope we're here to stay.

Hard to believe that after last season we'd look somewhat shaky in our defense, but it hasn't been convincing during the pre-season and today was a bit shaky for my liking. It's not something that compromises, but I hope Mourinho fixes whatever is wrong. And no, before someone puts it on Cesc's account, our problem isn't covering the defense, it's mostly our positioning and even some personal mistakes. It feels like David Luiz left his spirit, but I'm sure (or at least I hope) it's only because we need the players to reach their best form.

Our midfield was pretty solid. I don't have worries with Matic and Cesc and Oscar dropped deep many, many times to help them when we had the ball and when we didn't. I really like this formation to be honest and maybe Luis for Azpili, I think that's our best formation. Oscar wasn't creative again, but I think he's fulling well his role, he hopefully will improve, he's still far from his best shape, but Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle seems to be the way to do. Also as I said a few times, I believe Oscar balances Cesc out and vice versa, so it's good to have Oscar to give even more license to create and advance for Cesc. Of course, it doesn't mean Oscar shouldn't improve, he should and if he doesn't, I'd throw Willian there, as he also has remarkable work-rate.

I kept saying Schurrle was going to benefit a lot from Cesc passes and vision and that finally someone would catch his runs - and it happened a few times in only 70 minutes - but it seems like Cesc released Hazard to do his thing. He was lively. He tried his cute, fancy passes - but always very objective and not only for fun. It was great to watch Eden having fun and helping us in the attack like that. I think now that he isn't the only hope in our attack - as we have an assister and a striker - he won't feel that overwhelming pressure on him and will be more carefree. I think we'll watch him explode this season.

Costa is a beast and now I know how United, Liverpool, City fans have felt the whole season. This is how it feels to have a striker and I'll tell you what, there's no better feeling :P

Oscar can pass, tackle and shoot but not perhaps at the level we need from our central creative playmaker. Fabregas can do that.

It also means Van Ginkel could get some time in there for Oscar as the box-to-box midfielder.

I just look at this squad and it's wonderfully balanced in almost every area except striker. There's no real dead wood and we have options in every position. The board deserve immense credit.

What did you make of Azpi's performance? Thought he had a shocker on the ball tonight, our left side was essentially a no-go zone because of him in my opinion.

What did you make of Azpi's performance? Thought he had a shocker on the ball tonight, our left side was essentially a no-go zone because of him in my opinion.

Yeah I agree. His unwillingness to go outside on his left cropped up a few times and I'd be looking for Luis to start against Leicester. But it's a long season and those three can interchange (as well as Ake) depending on the circumstances.