• Matic
    • Oscar
    • Schurrle
    • Costa
    • Hazard
    • Willian (sub)
    • Mikel (sub)
    • Drogba (sub)

1st. i gotta say. props for the win. not the way we got it though.

2nd. whats with the mentality of conceding first and after look for the goal? we need to change that. not all teams have a defense like burnley and not all teams ARE burnley. we could have scored 7 but we didnt. in all games we should play 100%. liverpool lost a f****n championship from goal difference. we should score all we can in such games as its an opportunity to build up a goal difference which will might help in end of season. we need to be consistent and most of all chase the goal FIRST. im sick of losing and keep chasing the scoreline in most games.

3rd. both teams after 1-3 shut off the engines. pathetic 2nd half, im surprised i didnt fall asleep. must be the cold beer that kept me awake.

6th. i think Courtois could have saved that burnley goal but thats my opinion.

7th. fantastic 1st half, after conceded of course (most of the time sadly..) dreadful 2nd. i think Fabregas needs someone next to him as he cant do all the work by himself.

What's with all the negativity? :blink:

First of all, yes we won, and as you say so yourself, that's all that matters. 3 points are in the bag.

The way we got it? I thought it was great. Yes we could've kept a clean sheet and yes 0-3 would've been better than 1-3 but there's a lot of positives from this match:

- unlike you I don't think Courtois (or Cech for that matter) should've or could've kept the Burnley goal from going in. It was a canonball from pretty close rang (a meter or two closer than the edge of the box)

- you blame the "mentality of conceding first and look for the goal after". I think it's great that the team could come back so quickly after conceding. Last year we often struggled to score against lesser teams, even more if they were ahead because they could defend even more. Now we scored the equalizer very quickly after their goal. We scored three in 20 minutes!

- You say "props for the win but not the way we got it"? I'm delighted with the way. Ok, not conceding would've been better and yes the second half was indeed more boring, you're right in saying that. But we got ahead two goals and then killed of the game. That's great! Last year (and especially the year before that with the fat Spanish waiter in control) we often let the other team get back into the game. Now we built a comfortable lead and than killed the game. Boring? Yes. Wise? Yes! We saved energy for the next match. You say we should've scored 7 and went for it 100% after getting 1-3 ahead because we could lose to goal difference at the end of the season. I say control the game, conserve energy, make changes so key players (Hazard, Shurrle) get rest and at the end of the season we might not need the goal difference because conserving energy might change our next draw into a victory. And I'd prefer the two extra points over a +2 goal difference. At the end of the day, killing the game is the smarter way to play.

I'd say we played that well. I'm glad we killed the game although I'll admit it's more boring. But our second half was far from "pathetic". And you're right in saying that we should chase the goal first and try not to concede. Of course that's true, but I don't think Chelsea were planning to give the opposition the lead but these things happen. I'm just glad we had it in us to bite back and win.

I think overall we played great and I usually don't react a lot on here but after reading your post I just had to.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoyed the game.

Cesc was fantastic, as was Hazard for me. Two things I'd like to point out, one which has been mentioned is Oscar's role in the team. I like how he tracks back, works hard to win the ball back, and is generally never short on effort, but at the same time, he doesn't have the touch, intelligence and feel for the game like Cesc, Hazard, Costa and Willian do when going forward. At times he seems to hold up the ball for too long and that can cause us to miss a few of those slight chances to get moving forward.

Second thing being, which I don't think has been mentioned is Diego Costa's fantastic ability to move the ball, find the man, and just generally being a fantastic link up player. I'll admit I knew little about him, and despite how horrible Torres is at finishing and being a striker in general, I've always found he was fantastic in build up play and helping our wings facilitate and get the ball to the right places. I thought this would be lost with Costa out there, but damn, he is brilliant at whipping the ball around and moving into the right spot. Some will say, wait and see how things go, it's just one game, etc... But at the same time, you can tell a great player is a great player with the way he carries himself on the field and just the general things out there.

Very excited about our new players and the season ahead.

What a pleasure to watch this squad play. Really looking forward to the rest of the year! The additions of Fabregas and Costa seem to have really raised the others skills as well, which is what we all had hoped for.

Come on you Chelsea!! :blue scalf: :blue scalf:

Wow. That was quite something. Thought it was going to be one of those days again(!) when Burnley scored but impressive response and what a performance! It was almost like the one against Hull at the Bridge last season. And that pass from Fabregas for the second goal. Just wow. Wow wow wow. Still can't get over it. Utterly brilliant and majestic. :clap:

That second goal is exactly why Schurrle should play more often. Have said this many times (others have too), Schurrle is one of the only few players in the squad who actually offers off the movement like that and had Willian started instead of him, that goal wouldn't have happened. Just a stupendous goal all around. :worship: And great to see Costa already got his first. It took us till January last season for any of our strikers to score away from home and we already have one in the first away game!

On the other hand, the defending for the goal conceded was rather pathetic. The whole team didn't push out as a unit with the players all over the place and then we have someone (not sure who) who took a second too long to step out. We really need to stop giving away such cheap goals!

So happy that we finally played well when we went down a goal against a a lower ranked team. Really promising start, even though we played against Burnley, you could see how our team looked much more of a threat on the ball. Todays performance has made me really happy with the boys, despite the fact that we played against Burnley.

I don't even know where to start... that was... unbelievable.

For those who thought the result was more important, they've got it. For those who thought we needed to look convincing, they won't have any complaints.

When was the last time we played with so much fluidity in our attack?

I credit it mainly to my MOTM, Fàbregas. Never regretted choosing him as my fave player and he keeps proving it over and over again. He's been magnificent. It seems like he had eyes in all our other 9 players and with that amazing pass (FAR FROM AVERAGE) and incredible brain he caught Schurrle, Costa, Hazard, everyone and their mothers. He simply changed this team. We dictated the tempo - through him - we were fast, quick, a lot of one-touches, a lot of vertical passes and I don't care if this is Burnley or not, a message was sent and although I only watched some parts of a few matches in this first weekend, based on everyone else's comments I don't have a doubt we were the only convincing team so far (maybe City was too).

While I didn't expect - much less demand - that level of football now, I hope we keep it up. One of our best starts of season was in 2012/13, not only results wise, but we were playing great football then and I don't need to tell what else happened as the FSW ended up managing us (dark days in our beautiful story). So I know this amazing start can be misleading, but I do hope we're here to stay.

Hard to believe that after last season we'd look somewhat shaky in our defense, but it hasn't been convincing during the pre-season and today was a bit shaky for my liking. It's not something that compromises, but I hope Mourinho fixes whatever is wrong. And no, before someone puts it on Cesc's account, our problem isn't covering the defense, it's mostly our positioning and even some personal mistakes. It feels like David Luiz left his spirit, but I'm sure (or at least I hope) it's only because we need the players to reach their best form.

Our midfield was pretty solid. I don't have worries with Matic and Cesc and Oscar dropped deep many, many times to help them when we had the ball and when we didn't. I really like this formation to be honest and maybe Luis for Azpili, I think that's our best formation. Oscar wasn't creative again, but I think he's fulling well his role, he hopefully will improve, he's still far from his best shape, but Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle seems to be the way to do. Also as I said a few times, I believe Oscar balances Cesc out and vice versa, so it's good to have Oscar to give even more license to create and advance for Cesc. Of course, it doesn't mean Oscar shouldn't improve, he should and if he doesn't, I'd throw Willian there, as he also has remarkable work-rate.

I kept saying Schurrle was going to benefit a lot from Cesc passes and vision and that finally someone would catch his runs - and it happened a few times in only 70 minutes - but it seems like Cesc released Hazard to do his thing. He was lively. He tried his cute, fancy passes - but always very objective and not only for fun. It was great to watch Eden having fun and helping us in the attack like that. I think now that he isn't the only hope in our attack - as we have an assister and a striker - he won't feel that overwhelming pressure on him and will be more carefree. I think we'll watch him explode this season.

Costa is a beast and now I know how United, Liverpool, City fans have felt the whole season. This is how it feels to have a striker and I'll tell you what, there's no better feeling :P

Barbara you are awesome.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x240ji3_ivanovic-good-reaction_sport

Anyone have any links or know how to watch all the post match interviews and analysis by Sky? I'm interested in what Jamie and Gary have to say about us.

edit: Never mind found it!

do share then, I'm interested.