Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

Great pundits and good analysis.

Fabregas cannot play in the pivot. He is best suited to a 4-3-3 in this team. So

Much more balance and with a 3 man midfield and brings the best out of matic cesc AND Ramires.

I predict that 4-2-3-1 will become and secondary line up for us by halfway through the season

On Fabregas in the double pivot and 4-3-3:
When he played for Spain NT a week ago, he looked much more comfortable playing in a three-man midfield, and he and Busquets totally bossed the midfield despite Koke looking shaky. I'm actually surprised with how well he's been doing in the double pivot for us. There's a lot of difference tactically between playing a CM in a 4-3-3 that he's accustomed to and playing a CM in the double pivot. To get the best out of him, he should be given a less restricted, more attacking role.

Yep. Becoming more Chels every game!

Only natural. The same thing happened to Ashley.

Fantastic analysis from Neville, a 4-2-3-1 atm currently is a no go in big games. But we need to find a solution for it, dunno if Fabrégas can get the discipline but that's something Mourinho should drill into him. Otherwise when are we ever going to play Oscar in the big games unless we put him on the wings (not his best position). For this reason i would like to see how we fare with the following line-up against high pressing opposition, with Willian as our most defensive winger (and a pretty capable presser), seeïng that Schürrle lacks some key defensive attributes atm and is a bad presser. I don't think we have seen that line-up yet this season:

Costa

Hazard - Oscar - Willian

Matic - Fabregas

Azpi - Terry - Cahill - Ivanovic

Courtois

I think it is a great analysis by Neville and he's normally very fair. I just feel like that kind of mistakes were done by many players during the first 30 minutes of the match. I know he doesn't have time to cover everyone, but it seems like he singled out Cesc - although the pivot is a critical area for pressing.

He should improve, definitely, and I think he will, but others around him should and hopefully will too. The pressing and the midfield in general in the first 30 minutes was just a hot mess. and I can't for the life of me blame swans first goal on Cesc. He should have done a better job, but others made worse mistakes in that play. It wasn't his player who tackled Matic, it wasn't his player who's received the ball and although he slowly came back after tackling in the box, Swans passed the ball to a player ahead of him, he's trying to hunt him, but it wasn't his player imo. I don't know, he's one of the last I'd actually hold guilty for that goal. Matic shouldn't, under any circumstance, especially when he's as slow like that, hold the ball so long when pressed so closely by another player. Pass to someone to prevent exactly this kind of situation.

I think it is a great analysis by Neville and he's normally very fair. I just feel like that kind of mistakes were done by many players during the first 30 minutes of the match. I know he doesn't have time to cover everyone, but it seems like he singled out Cesc - although the pivot is a critical area for pressing.

He should improve, definitely, and I think he will, but others around him should and hopefully will too. The pressing and the midfield in general in the first 30 minutes was just a hot mess. and I can't for the life of me blame swans first goal on Cesc. He should have done a better job, but others made worse mistakes in that play. It wasn't his player who tackled Matic, it wasn't his player who's received the ball and although he slowly came back after tackling in the box, Swans passed the ball to a player ahead of him, he's trying to hunt him, but it wasn't his player imo. I don't know, he's one of the last I'd actually hold guilty for that goal. Matic shouldn't, under any circumstance, especially when he's as slow like that, hold the ball so long when pressed so closely by another player. Pass to someone to prevent exactly this kind of situation.

I think it is more of a point that he's notorious for not beïng defensively disciplined throughout his career. This is also 1 of the main reasons he didn't replace Xavi in the Barcelona central midfield, these mistakes aren't random and they happened in almost every match we've played thus far. Mistakes where also made by Matic but he sticks to his role (marking and such) and is most of the time defensive solid (he was a rock last season). The way Fabregas leaves space open will be a huge issue when we play against the likes of David Silva.

I think it is hard to iron out these things so we probably need some alternative to circumvent his flaws because we can't miss him in the starting IX.

I think it is more of a point that he's notorious for not beïng defensively disciplined throughout his career. This is also 1 of the main reasons he didn't replace Xavi in the Barcelona central midfield, these mistakes aren't random and they happened in almost every match we've played thus far. Mistakes where also made by Matic but he sticks to his role (marking and such) and is most of the time defensive solid (he was a rock last season). The way Fabregas leaves space open will be a huge issue when we play against the likes of David Silva.

I think it is hard to iron out these things so we probably need some alternative to circumvent his flaws because we can't miss him in the starting IX.

I agree he has problems about it. But imo we don't need to work around it that much. We need to give him (and the others) time. I have no doubts he'll fix those issues under Mourinho. Mourinho is one of the masters of football tactics and positioning. His teams look like rehearsed chess keys. Fàbregas isn't disciplined, but he'll learn to. I think it's easier for him to learn this than let's say someone like Hazard. Cesc is midfielder by definition, that's his natural and first position, later on his career it changed. Also as Skip said, he's smart and I think he will be able to follow Mourinho's directions. It'll make him a better player.

I'm not trying to absolve Matic of any wrong-doing because he certainly has his faults/limitations as a player.

The way I see the mistake you've highlighted there is: Ramires is pressing the ball so Matic tries to cut out McGeady's seemingly only available passing option. That obviously isn't the smartest idea considering Azpilicueta and Terry have that passing lane covered. Ivanovic also makes the same mistake that Matic does - he is distracted by Lukaku's run despite Cahill being best placed to deal with a through-ball - and that allows Naismith to ghost in and score easily. It's a bad mistake on Matic's part but the initial press is beaten easily, he has gambled* and the players behind him have made mistakes too, that was a collective breakdown and not down to Matic on his own.

*Pressing isn't just about pressing the ball, it also means blocking any passing lanes and it's high risk, high reward. Matic is one of the few players in the team that is consistent at doing that. If the people alongside him and behind him were on the same wavelength we wouldn't be so exposed all the time.

Fair enough, and Azpi at CB doesn't sound that crazy.

Here's the Neville analysis by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjP9KVWA91U

Matic has made very very similar mistakes against Everton. I've watched us against Everton with Barbara and there were a few times when Matic left the player he should be marking to chase the ball just like Fabregas did in that analysis. The whole system of pressing is malfunctioning right now, a lot of times players are chasing the ball when they should be holding position. It was even worse there because there were times Matic would do it and other times Fabregas would do it, so they had unmarked players and spaces all the freaking time. Our midfield against Everton was even more of a mess than against Swansea as it seems Matic was a little bit more disciplined in the latter, maybe Mourinho has already spoken to them about it and is trying to fix it.