César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

No. It's a general thing happening across the board, not just this one alone.

I agree that some people do seem to think Azpi would be a better selection, and that seems to be because he hasn't been playing ergo his deficiencies that people were moaning about last year magically disappear. Personally I think that when you have areas within the team that you are trying to work on (the midfield and the attacking four) then you should try and maintain consistency where you can. Messing with areas that are working (and Ivanovic has been a consistent performer) is fine when you're writing predictions for the team on a forum but when you're trying to win matches because that's what you get paid to do then it's a little trickier.

Azpi is a fine young right-back but he needs to win that position and in the small chances he's had, he really hasn't grabbed it with both hands. Against Swindon he was poor - Torres on the other hand took that chance and won a spot in the next game against Spurs. That might sound unfair but that's how top level sport is.

I know you missed a lot of last season, but Azpi was a key player for us.

My would have been responses have basically been covered in my absence but i felt the need to reply to this. Yes i was away for 2 months, but when i got back i spent about a week watching the full 90 minutes of the matches i missed.

My would have been responses have basically been covered in my absence but i felt the need to reply to this. Yes i was away for 2 months, but when i got back i spent about a week watching the full 90 minutes of the matches i missed.

Fair enough. I just thought you might be underrating Azpi because you didn't see him a lot last season.

The dude was really great.

Hopefully Mourinho keeps playing him because he has done a better job then Cole this whole season so far as a LB.

I know Azpi is not a LB, but if he can adjust to that role then we solve our LB issue as Cole has been woeful this season and Ryan doing so so.

My point was had Guardiola came here, I don't think the fans would be as calm and just believe everything he does is right, like Mourinho now, despite his track record at Barcelona.

I see what you mean now, but it was how mourinho was when he first came to us and proved himself. So maybe because he has proved himself not just here but everywhere he went, we have confidence that he knows what he is doing.

Mourinho praised Azpilicueta in his match programme notes yesterday...

"I normally don't praise players individually - and probably this week people are thinking about Samuel and Fernando - but I am not. I think they are good players and good professionals, so sooner or later performances and goals come for them. I felt it was very normal to see them score their goals and to see the way they performed for us last week.

Instead, I go out of my line to praise Cesar. I love these players who play where the team need them, when the coach wants, whether it is for 90 minutes or coming from the bench for one minute. For them it is the team first, the team second, and the team third - and finally they think about themselves. They train hard every day, they are self-motivated, but they are also pushing others in the same direction.

So please, supporters, I hope you like him and respect him as much as I do. Players win matches, squads win titles - I am a lucky manager to have Cesar.

Let's play and enjoy this big game. Then, on Monday we play at the Emirates. Sorry, it's not Monday - it is Tuesday, I forgot they gave us 24 hours to recover and prepare for another big game!"

Half of it can be seen in this image here.