David Luiz

the wes

There is only a limited extent that passion and energy can make up for technical and psychological shortcomings, however. Mourinho didn't see him as a good enough defender (I agree), and used him as a square peg in a round hole (to some success, I accept) in defensive midfield to cover for the cup-tied Matic last season. In essence we sold a player who was our third-choice centre-back and second-choice sitting midfielder for 50 million. He'll have the odd good game here and there but other than that he is strictly average. For every performance such as Wednesday (which I don't even think was that good, he was more interested in getting Costa sent off than trying to help him team, and his admittedly very good goal papered over the cracks of a typical Luiz performance where he was more concerned in his 30 yard passes into the channels than his defensive covering), he has a game such as the 7-1 against Germany. He's lucky he has the best defender in Ligue Un and arguably Europe by his side to help bail him out at times. I could name a dozen defenders who have had better seasons than David in France this season.

thoight he was great! Scored a crucial goal out of nowhere and was under far more pressure than silva was later (tired players). Opinions are opinions - ppl value different things in players.

Though there is something factually incorrect in your post: matic joined jan 14 so luiz was the dm playing until then AND played alongside matic afterwards, again, in the tough matches. Our record in those games last season was almost perfect (better than this).

I was talking to a colleague before the game and told him: out of psg players there was one in particular I did not want to have a good game, but he did. These moments define the great players not step overs or hitting row Z.

I don't mind him celebrating the goal, after all it was a very emotional goal at the end of the game and anybody would have done it. You can't criticize him for what he did on the pitch, he did that in Chelsea too and at the end of the story whatever happens on the pitch stays on the pitch.

He has that character about him that sets him aside from every other player. Huge passion, a natural-born winner.

In fact, despite him being 27 years old, I believe he is the most talented defender in the world and would be one of the best if he was consistent enough and didn't make those silly mistakes every once in a while. The world cup made him look like a shit player to all football fans - including the ones on TC - but we forgot he was great for us in his last season and in 2012/13.

I used to love him but he was unbelievable in the two games, the first he was constantly antagonising our players, he wiped the spray as moved it for their free kick. In the second game at half time he pushed branislav badly in the tunnel for no reason and was desperately trying to get Diego sent off.

Really appalled at him

• 4 weeks later...