Spike

19 minutes ago, Fernando said:

You do know that Scientific data doesn't exist for 1,000 years ago and such. 

We can only go by history books and such. 

Of course if you don't believe in history then that's something else. 

But scientific data of weather is a recent phenomena of last few 100 years. 

Islamic scholars were embroiled in scientific and mathematical research over 1000 years ago, but yes it is just through books as is Christianity. Just a random book. The difference is science can be proved, unlike religious mumbo jumbo.

As far as climate change it has been scientifically studies via geology, fossils, spores, micro fossils etc going back millions of years

6 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Islamic scholars were embroiled in scientific and mathematical research over 1000 years ago, but yes it is just through books as is Christianity. Just a random book.

As far as climate change it has been scientifically studies via geology, fossils, spores, micro fossils etc going back millions of years

And what conclusion have they come? Was the planet cooler? Warmer and such? 

But I will share this article from the Guardian about weather records:

Why do weather records only begin in 1914?

actually, they didn't. While the Met Office seems keen on saying "since records began in 1914" to describe any kind of record-busting weather (such as 2007's "wettest summer"), it has records that go back much further.

The England and Wales Precipitation series, which measures rainfall and snow, goes back to 1766, and the Central England Temperature series, which covers the temperature from the south Midlands to Lancashire, is the longest-running record in the world, dating from 1659.

"They were kept on a personal basis by amateur meteorologists," says Sancha Lancaster, a spokeswoman for the Met Office. "We have an archive here of thousands of people's weather diaries. Many don't just record the weather, they also record the effects on wildlife and plants. It takes years to quality-control them and put the data on to a computer."

Statisticians work out whether the entries are reliable, which is why the record going back to 1914 - when observation stations became more uniform in the way they collected data - is almost always the one used. The Met Office says this is the only reliable one (and it gives a picture of the UK as a whole).

But if records go back less than 100 years, can we really set much store by so-called freak events such as the floods this summer? The fact that we do irritates Philip Eden, a weather historian. "Saying it is 'unprecedented' allows the people who look after our infrastructure a ready-made excuse for not being able to deal with [extreme weather]. It is not unprecedented."

Eden uses records going back to 1727 and says there have been 15 summers wetter than this one. "The 16th wettest summer on record doesn't make such a good headline, does it?"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/sep/03/weather.features11

Last year was the hottest on record on earth since records began. and it has been getting warmer since records began

Now you may just believe its a coincidence that the Orange Murder Clown decided to remove all references of climate change and global warming from the White House website because his two biggest campaign donors were fossil fuel companies. Personally, I don't.

2 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Last year was the hottest on record on earth since records began. and it has been getting warmer since records began

Now you may just believe its a coincidence that the Orange Murder Clown decided to remove all references of climate change and global warming from the White House website because his two biggest campaign donors were fossil fuel companies. Personally, I don't.

"Since records began". 

Again there's no records for what happen 1,000 years. We just need to go by history books. 

Just now, Fernando said:

Since records began. 

Again there's no records for what happen 1,000 years. We just need to go by history books. 

Like I have already explained to you temperatures can be examined through geology, fossils, spores, going back millions of years

Just now, Fulham Broadway said:

Like I have already explained to you temperatures can be examined through geology, fossils, spores, going back millions of years

And what proof you came to?

Was the planet hotter? Cooler? 

Was Greenland actually green back 1,000 years before freezing? etc etc

Just now, Fernando said:

And what proof you came to?

Was the planet hotter? Cooler? 

Was Greenland actually green back 1,000 years before freezing? etc etc

OK we're going round in fucking circles here. Why do you think Trump removed all references from the website ?

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

OK we're going round in fucking circles here. Why do you think Trump removed all references from the website ?

I have no idea why. It's the same question I asked myself why the Smithsonian hides all evidence of Giants.... 

45 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Can't believe what I'm reading here. We actually have a genuine climate change denier on TalkChelsea? Really?

:D

What next, a "Trump isn't so bad. Give him a chance!" guy?

Climate change is real but I don't believe that it's the way it's being projected. 

Like I said history book give account of voyages and certain things and we can glean from that and project that  weather have been through different cycles. 

Then there's also the fact that sun can have an effect on everything. Like if the sun is getting hotter it will raise the temperature here on earth.... 

And if you want to take this, the Bible says that the sun will scorch people in the future. If this is true and I believe it to be true then there's nothing that climate change will be able to do. We can't control the sun. 

3 hours ago, Fernando said:

Climate change is real but I don't believe that it's the way it's being projected. 

Like I said history book give account of voyages and certain things and we can glean from that and project that  weather have been through different cycles. 

Then there's also the fact that sun can have an effect on everything. Like if the sun is getting hotter it will raise the temperature here on earth.... 

And if you want to take this, the Bible says that the sun will scorch people in the future. If this is true and I believe it to be true then there's nothing that climate change will be able to do. We can't control the sun. 

Mate, I think what you're trying to say is that planet has always gone through cycles of cooling and warming.

While the science does agree with that, and yes, we are in one of those 'warming cycles' the fact is that the earth is warming up at an incredibly fast rate especially in the past few decades. Co-incidence?

spiral_optimized.gif

Honestly, the point is the not fact that the planet is warming up. Yes, its happened before and the planet will definitely survive this one. The point is that we're making it happen much faster than the norm,..faster than we might be able to keep up, and we're only shooting ourselves in the foot with this. The planet won't care and won't miss us if we do so,.... but we ought to start caring for ourselves. That's the point.

@Fernando no we don't go by history books, we have very accurate estimates that go back thousands of years, through all sorts of extrapolations from what we know about the earth now. Here's a timeline that goes 20,000 years back (in cartoon form to make for easier reading):

earth_temperature_timeline.png

So, no, the earth has most likely never been as hot as it is now for the past 20,000 years, but more importantly it has never changed temperature as rapidly as it has in the past 50 years.

5 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

@Fernando no we don't go by history books, we have very accurate estimates that go back thousands of years, through all sorts of extrapolations from what we know about the earth now. Here's a timeline that goes 20,000 years back (in cartoon form to make for easier reading):

earth_temperature_timeline.png

So, no, the earth has most likely never been as hot as it is now for the past 20,000 years, but more importantly it has never changed temperature as rapidly as it has in the past 50 years.

Wow that's a good analysis. So then according to that we are much warmer but it's out of the norm. 

Like warming up is normal but not at this rapid pace as blue armor mentioned. 

Now I'm curious, does such a thing exists for the sun? 

Certainly we can account for some change in weather because of human in this industrial age. 

But can the sun also be accelerating this trend? Are we able to measure the sun output of heat say the last 1000 years? 

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

Wow that's a good analysis. So then according to that we are much warmer but it's out of the norm. 

Certainly we can account for some change in weather because of human in this industrial age. 

But can the sun also be accelerating this trend? Are we able to measure the sun output of heat say the last 1000 years? 

I'm sure there's someone who can actually answer your question (my knowledge on this stuff sucks), but I remember talking about calculating the sun's energy output in a space exploration class I took in college.

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

Like KMK have little knowledge- but some studies show the sun is getting hotter over the last 150 years, thus increasing the global temperature, but greenhouse gasses caused by fossil fuels just act like a magnifying glass