The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

19 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

Well to be honest, Atletico and Bvb have put themselves on the map by developing their own players, but in past few years, they spent quite alot themselves. No way they would be still this good without Griezmann or Aubameyang and so on.

They started differently, but today they are same like any other big club. And to remain on top, they have to be.

Leicester will soon follow that road, they signed Slimani and wanted Silva etc...

They no longer buy players for peanuts and develop them in world beaters.

Now obviously they dont splash 80m on individuals, but neither do we for example.

I truly respect them and their runs (bvb in 2013) and Atletico year later, but today they are simply a big clubs with lot of money. 

Same could be said for us these years when we follow ffp like crazy, try to balance the expenditures and revenues from player sales, but majority of fans still consider us as buying club. Meanwhile when bvb signs Auba for 30 or Atletico Griezmann for 30m, they are respected and called club with working ethics and desire etc., grooming their own players etc. After Tibo left, they paid 30m or so for Oblak instead of going after another less known GK and thats a pretty clear example. Atletico spent over 80m on players this summer. 

I know where you are getting, and much like u I respect Bvb and Atletico alot (tbh they are clubs I follow most after Chelsea), but dont get confused by their rise in past few years with "small, cheap" teams and their buy policy today. Today they are in the same boat as any other top team in europe. Pay top price for the players they want. And they pay.

The pshychology is spot on here. No matter what, the first impression is damn important in world football. Atletico and Bvb will be known as small clubs who got big with their own players, we will be always known as big spending club. Even if today roles of the clubs are much more similar than they were in 2003 or 2013, people will still judge us based on those first impressions. 

Yes and no

i can't say anything about Atletico because I don't really follow them, but the big money players weren't expensive when they were signed. Aubameyang was only €13m. Schürrle's €30m transfer is the record. They do spend money, but it's spread through a few really great prospects instead of one or two big name signings.

My opinion about Cholo has changed a lot in the past year. His Atleti team play with grit when defending and class while going forward not to merntion the incredible amount of work that goes into their organized pressing system. They hardly allow a shot on goal.

And I can't be arsed about Filipe Luis anymore, brick wall at the back and excellent going forward. Best LB in the world. 

I just knew Sanchez had the makings of a #9. I remember writing about in a post in this thread a while back. Now he's starting to make the position his own. Always rated him higher playing in the centre than out wide.

And Mustafi is impressing for Arsenal. Oh, how I remember the Mustafi is overrated posts. Chelsea could've had him but were sleeping once again. Probably end up buying some decent Serie A CB like Astori.

13 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

City has some fugly kits, and we complain about our third ones every year :lol:

We'll have to get used to it. All of the big Nike clubs share the same template for third kits, and most of them aren't much better. PSG seems to get special treatment. I liked the thirds they have, with the iridescent crest

20160928-636106931222372970_201609282100

Speaking of PSG, Cavani looks to be doing the job of replacing Ibrahimovic up front. 2 in 2 

1 hour ago, kmk108 said:

We'll have to get used to it. All of the big Nike clubs share the same template for third kits, and most of them aren't much better. PSG seems to get special treatment. I liked the thirds they have, with the iridescent crest

20160928-636106931222372970_201609282100

Speaking of PSG, Cavani looks to be doing the job of replacing Ibrahimovic up front. 2 in 2 

That kit is actually really beautiful. Looks like a kit people would wear for fashion and not sport (like some do these days).

• 3 weeks later...