Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably Loftus-Cheek's biggest critic on planet earth, yet in this friendly vs. Germany he's been immense. Through balls on the ground, through balls in the air, driving through with power past multiple players, tidy passes.

Everything people act like Bakayoko will become...Loftus-Cheek is showing he already is. Their traits are the same, but i'll never see Bakayoko play to the level RLC has today. Absolutely involved & influential. Multiple chances created. Bakayoko's a one-chance-per-game type player.

I guess Bakayoko's a better ball-winner. But my understanding was that we signed him to drive forward like this.

Been England's best player by far tonight. The lad has so much ability its unreal. He just needs regular playing time like he is getting at Palace and to keep on being consistent and he can be a top player. His acceleration on the ball is excellent too.

The difference between this game vs. every time he played for us, is the lack of laziness. Poof. Gone.

Now a normal, average-work-rate player, with above-average physical abilities. Useful.
(Surprisingly accurate with everything he did too. Thinking + acting quick on top of that. Murder if he doesn't make it here due to Bakayoko, if he keeps up this level.)

Can play in a 3 or 2 in attack and also a 2 or 3 in midfield. Should be brought back instead of Barkley. If anything, we should maybe get Vidal in for a few seasons and have RLC understudy him. Sell Drinkwater. Then we’d have Vidal, Kante, Bakayoko, RLC and Cesc for CM. Much better than what we have now, and literally only bought in one player. 

4 minutes ago, Pizy said:

It's been so obvious for ages that he's the prototypical #8. A midfielder who bursts forward with pace and power and uses his supreme physique and athleticism like a prime Yaya Toure. Why Conte tried to use him as more of a forward still confuses me to this day.

We were right to send him on loan because he's still raw and needs to play every week. Seeing lots of kneejerkers on Twitter (mostly from non-Chelsea fans) saying we we idiots for doing so. If he continues to develop like this he'll be a huge asset for us next season and our midfield options will be insane. Imagine a midfield 3 of Kante, Baka, and RLC. We'd bully everyone off the pitch.

Goes without saying that now we have Drinkwater and have RLC to return next summer we have zero need to still be after Ross Barkley. Would be a total waste of money.

Drinkwater was the waste of money. Instead of having a midfield of let’s say RLC, Kante, Bakayoko, Fabregas & Vidal next year we’ll have Drinkwater instead. 

2 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Drinkwater was the waste of money. Instead of having a midfield of let’s say RLC, Kante, Bakayoko, Fabregas & Vidal next year we’ll have Drinkwater instead. 

Let's at least see him make 10 or so appearences for us before we declare that, mate! :P

Anyways, I don't foresee midfield being a problem for us assuming Kante stays fit. It's our attack that needs upgrading.

3 hours ago, The Skipper said:

I think Cesc is done after this season. Even if he stays, he will normally just be a sub. Chelsea cannot go another two windows without putting more into their centre mid and wingback positions. Won't be a need for Cesc's slow legs as a starter if CFC make the right moves.

I think Ruben should be playing in a 4-3-3 where the CMs alternate getting forward. He would be a perfect player to have combining with Eden on the left CM area regularly, but FFS we need a good LB. 

Even with Ruben potentially returning to Chelsea, I still say CFC need a couple of better centre midfielders from the market to supplement Kante. So, to summarize that point of view: our future midfield consists of Kante, RLC and....... WHO for quality starters? I'm fine with Danny D. because he knows Kante, but Cesc and Tiemoue?

Right now, I am not even going to count Cesc and Tiemoue as legit starters for the future unless Bakayoko show us more once we have a more complete squad. As much a Tiemoue is underwhelming right now, I don't want to judge players harshly when our side has clear deficiencies around our formation.

Fucking stupid how Chelsea limp through seasons with mediocre players as starters and bench players year after year and we try to make premature judgments about young players stepping into our side without quality support around them.

8 hours ago, El P. said:

At 4:22 some crazy skills. :D So elegant and comfortable on the ball...

On the other side, Abraham was really poor.

Looks like RLC is going to be ready for us next season, Tammy on the other hand still very2 raw. I will let him stay in swansea for another season

8 hours ago, Hybrid Angel said:

I have no idea what Hodgson is thinking playing him on the right side of a 4-4-2. Almost as bad as Antonio playing him in the front three.

RLC in our 3-4-3 is equally as suited to playing as one of the forward two as to playing in the midfield two, if not more suited. Last night I was under the impression we played a diamond in which case it's fair enough. I think people get themselves tied into knots on where RLC's position is, but he's shown a lot of qualities that for now he's best in a more forward role, nothing wrong with that.