NFL/College Football (the pointy kind) Fans

Tortilla9

I only started watching American football a year ago and I also had the impression that the stops between plays were really long. I wondered how anyone could actually watch a sport that way, lol. Then I watched a game and realised that it's actually not that long at all.

If I struggle to watch slow games like cricket sobre, I doubt I can watch NFL. But thanks for the insight.

No offence to all the Americans on here but the accent of the Commentators annoys me. Why does it always seem they are yelling into the microphones?

I only started watching American football a year ago and I also had the impression that the stops between plays were really long. I wondered how anyone could actually watch a sport that way, lol. Then I watched a game and realised that it's actually not that long at all.

Same with me. Once you start to understand the sport you will enjoy it (hopefully hehe), For me, is an amazing sport.

Same with me. Once you start to understand the sport you will enjoy it (hopefully hehe), For me, is an amazing sport.

yep agreed! I had previously seen the show Friday Night Lights so I kinda already knew the basics of the game. I read up on the rules and also got a lot of help from Tortilla9 :D

You'll enjoy the sport once you get into it and then you're team loses in the SuperBowl and you realise that you'll have to wait 7 months to get back to watching it again. *sigh* Why couldn't Welker just have caught the ball?!

Same feeling here mate! That ball would has mean the trophy :(

Same feeling here mate! That ball would has mean the trophy :(

Seems Eli always finds a way of beating Brady, Eli is like Brady's Messi....Not a Giants fan, but like Eli and wanted them to win over "ladies man Brady" and i was sad at the Raven's loss, so glad dey lost

@Spike_spiegiel: Slow? i understand the stops can be frustrating if you are not used to the game....But its a pretty fast game when it gets going, i guess just try to go through a quarter its roughly 25mins (including commercial) and make a judgement after that...And try to watch some football movie or show like francozola said, that might spark up your interest in it...If you need references i can help...

Can someone explain how a Franchise Tag works? I've googled it and I seem to understand the basic meaning of it but don't really get when and why teams would choose to do it. Why would a team assign a quality player with a Franchise Tag instead of offering him a new contract?

Can someone explain how a Franchise Tag works? I've googled it and I seem to understand the basic meaning of it but don't really get when and why teams would choose to do it. Why would a team assign a quality player with a Franchise Tag instead of offering him a new contract?

I think a franchise player is when a team is build around him. For example Brady is the franchise player from Pats, Arod Packers etc...usually they refer this title to QBs. Anyone can illustrate this better? xD I dont know, its my perception from what i read on the forums.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't quite understand the sport. Do people watch it live and sit throught the tedious planning and phases or do they just watch replays?

Can someone enlighten my ignorance?

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than gAFL though.

NFL looks an alright sport but I don't have the time or will to start following it. Fwiw, an average NFL game has only around 11 minutes of actual gameplay, lol.

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than gAFL though.

NFL looks an alright sport but I don't have the time or will to start following it. Fwiw, an average NFL game has only around 11 minutes of actual gameplay, lol.

The only thing worse than AFL is AFL fans. The blindly believe it is the greatest sport in the world. If it is so great why is it only played in Victoria and South Australia?

If this needs to be moved elsewhere, please correct my ignorance.

Any pointy football fans out there? Don't get me wrong I love football/soccer but I love the NFL and college football too.

Fan of the Chargers because they're in my backyard. Now if they could only start off the season the way they finish instead of digging themselves an early season hole. Would love to see Rivers get to the Super Bowl. Would also like to see Bryan Winters make the team.

Watched Tebow last night and that offensive line, lack of running game don't help him, BUT I don't see how his mechanics can be so bad. WTH did Urban Meyers do with him for 4 years?

I'm a San Diego Chargers fan too, disappointing season, we always seem to start the season off bad and come good in December. Philip Rivers had a horror start to the season, we just made crucial big errors at the wrong time.

I hope we keep Vincent Jackson!!! his a great WR, I also like the look of Vincent Brown in his first season.

Do you go to many of the games?

On another note, Tim Tebow is so overrated, he can't throw the football at all. people talk about him being the reason they made the play-off, I say it was they're defence was the reason they made it, I was sick of hearing about him all season "It's Tim Tebow time" just couldn't stand it.

I'm a San Diego Chargers fan too, disappointing season, we always seem to start the season off bad and come good in December. Philip Rivers had a horror start to the season, we just made crucial big errors at the wrong time.

I hope we keep Vincent Jackson!!! his a great WR, I also like the look of Vincent Brown in his first season.

Do you go to many of the games?

On another note, Tim Tebow is so overrated, he can't throw the football at all. people talk about him being the reason they made the play-off, I say it was they're defence was the reason they made it, I was sick of hearing about him all season "It's Tim Tebow time" just couldn't stand it.

Tim Tebow is a god.

Such a steep price for him. Though if he leads you to the Super Bowl, those picks will be forgotten.

True was surprised we gave up that much, but we badly need a good QB so it's understandable.

Hopefully it works out well, or else we're fucked :lol:

Any player who will become a free agent is eligible for a "Franchise",any player who is franchised will be paid the average of the top 5 players salary at his position, for example, Matt Forte of the Chicago Bears was just franchised, he just had an awesome year and was a top 5 RB, his contract expired this year so when negotiations came around he felt that he should be compensated for his high production with a long term high paying contract, the Bears however, along with the rest of the league are reluctant to give RB's massive contracts for one successful year as they typically get injured and seldom maintain their high level of play. i.e. Adrian Peterson. This year Forte will be making $7.7 million which is more than he would have received yearly on a long term contract, but he doesn't have that long term safety blanket, so for this year it's boom or bust for Forte financially. This however is one of two scenarios (that i can think of), the second is when your cornerstone player wants to leave your team when he's a free agent, to counter-act this teams use the franchise, this however is rarely ever seen. There is no limit to the amount of "Franchises" a player can have.

Any player who will become a free agent is eligible for a "Franchise",any player who is franchised will be paid the average of the top 5 players salary at his position, for example, Matt Forte of the Chicago Bears was just franchised, he just had an awesome year and was a top 5 RB, his contract expired this year so when negotiations came around he felt that he should be compensated for his high production with a long term high paying contract, the Bears however, along with the rest of the league are reluctant to give RB's massive contracts for one successful year as they typically get injured and seldom maintain their high level of play. i.e. Adrian Peterson. This year Forte will be making $7.7 million which is more than he would have received yearly on a long term contract, but he doesn't have that long term safety blanket, so for this year it's boom or bust for Forte financially. This however is one of two scenarios (that i can think of), the second is when your cornerstone player wants to leave your team when he's a free agent, to counter-act this teams use the franchise, this however is rarely ever seen. There is no limit to the amount of "Franchises" a player can have.

Thanks so much! I think I have a better idea now. The definitions I found when I googled were too complicated.

For those who watch college football, what are your opinions on RGIII? I've read some people say that he isn't a potentially elite quarterback and could even become very average. Wouldn't it be safer for the Rams to trade Flynn from GB?