David Luiz - two sides to the coin?

Madmax

Let me start off by saying Luiz is the most exciting signing we've made in a long, long time. His arrival has been a breath of fresh air - watching him dribble up the centre of the pitch with the ball tied magnetically to his feet while his gloriously generous hair mops about is a great sight, something we have not quite seen at the Bridge since the early days of Carvalho's time here. And he's been an instant hit as well. 2 goals against the Manchester clubs and 2 MOTM performances in 4 starts have already given him a cult status and made him a fan favourite. All sunshine and rainbows.

But it could have been so, so different. 93rd minute of a crucial away game at Fulham, with either side yet to score. Facing the goal, Luiz brings down Dempsey for a penalty. Fortunately Cech spares his blushes and the game ends with the points shared. Second half of the home game against Man United. Luiz - already on a yellow, bodychecks first Hernandez and then Rooney but gets away with it. On another day he could've, should've been dismissed. And he would have gone from hero to zero in a moment. Sports fans are a fickle bunch.

To cut to the chase, while he has been refreshing and exciting, he's also acted his young age at times and such lapses in concentration/temperament are more often than not punished severely in such a competitive league. His runs out of position are good on the eye but as teams get used to his style, we could be made to pay for it. It's the kind of thing that makes you look like a genius when it comes off and like an utter monkey's ass when it doesn't. Some teams will be confused whether to track him, how to mark him etc. They'll find him too hot to handle while others will be working on a plan to exploit this facet of his game. He tends to be a bit over enthusiastic in his rush to get to the ball and often sticks dangerously close to his man in an attempt to tackle him. Hard referees will be booking him often when this happens.

I'm not knocking the guy at all, just stating my observations from what I've seen of him. I think he's already one of the best young centre halves in the world and obviously has bags of potential which with more exposure, attention and training will see him transform into the best defender on the planet in a few years time. His style of play is tremendously entertaining and his reading of the game and the ability to spot and intercept the opposition's final ball is second to none at this club. It's like watching Carvalho all over again.

Maybe we can put down the above mentioned faults to youthful exuberance or the nerves of moving to a much bigger league. Of course he also yet to be tested consistently every week and like every player, will go through a lean patch. It's essential for us fans to back him though, because one thing is clear - we have a real gem on our hands.

Thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bar the penalty against Fulham, He had a perfect game. We could play him in midfield, But he is too good of a defender to that that. He's still young, Defenders usually peak later than every other player because they get experience, they read the game better and are wiser, and this is something that you cannot work on the training ground, You get it by playing matches and competing at the highest level. David is showing all the signs of a world class defender, Yes, he fucked up against Fulham, and yes, sometimes he can be caught in posession, But that will stop when he gets older.

I'm so sure that in 4 or 5 years time David Luiz will be the best defender in the world, I'd put money on it. He should have been sent off against United but honestly, Putting a new 22 year old signing in that kind of game was ALWAYS a risk, and he came good, With a cracker of a goal. Against City not once was he caught in possesion, and made Dzeko look like a poor player, which he isn't.

David Luiz is a player that every kid that supports Chelsea will idolise. I honestly think he is our biggest signing since a young overweight Frank Lampard walked famosely said 'I don't give a fuck If you get Fabio Capello, I'm leaving'.

Good thing with Luiz is, he's very young & adapts very well. Now that he's settling in with players like Ferreira, Alex & Ramires he's becoming more and more comfortable. It was good to see passionate words of praise from the like of Lampard, Drogba & Terry after full time.

He has his flaws, but with time & experience he will learn to correct these. Everyone knows about how he should've got sent off versus United but immediately after he stuck that leg out - He realised what he'd done and tried to apologise to Wayne. It's something he will learn not to do in high pressure matches. I think it kind of works in our favour that he's not eligable for the Champions League this year, it keeps him fresh & he's less likely to pick up an injury. One day we won't call him "the next Carvalho" we'll say "better than Carvalho" ;)

He will get a red or two, almost guaranteed.

These will come out of sheer exhuberance and enthusiasm, not through temprament. but I can see them coming in crunch Barca/Yernited type games.

It will be a price worth paying though as hes one of the best players I've seen in years, and probably the best debut ever in blue.

Against City not once was he caught in possesion, and made Dzeko look like a poor player, which he isn't.

Thing is though, he didn't have much to do against City, did he? They played a weird 6-2-1-1 formation and apart from the first 5-7 minutes they hardly got into our half. It was the perfect game to showcase his attacking thrust. But then again, you can only play what's put in front of you.

I agree with everything you said above. So i only have one thing to add

LUIZ LUIZ LUIZ LUIZ LUIZ LUIZ

:lol: :cfc:

He does go into to every challenge but that's what we want. He just needs to be careful when he's on a yellow tho because we can't afford to lose players half way through a game if we're not leading. And we don't want him suspended. He can still go in because referees don't often give a 2nd yellow for a basic foul but he can't go in recklessly like an idiot (Cattermole).

He's had a quite awesome start though, talk about settling in perfectly. Such a shame he can't play in the UCL.

It will be a price worth paying though as hes one of the best players I've seen in years, and probably the best debut ever in blue.

I hope he keeps up this level of play.

I remember one of Gronkjaer's first games for us,I don't think it was his debut. He scored 2 and hit the post or bar twice,I think it was against lower league oppo. in the FA cup but still he looked like the dogs. I thought we'd signed the best player in the world at the time and i'm not joking when I say that either.

Shame he never kept that up,but also I blame Ranieri for not keeping him on the left wing.

Here's hoping Luiz isn't just a flash in the pan.

I hope he keeps up this level of play.

I remember one of Gronkjaer's first games for us,I don't think it was his debut. He scored 2 and hit the post or bar twice,I think it was against lower league oppo. in the FA cup but still he looked like the dogs. I thought we'd signed the best player in the world at the time and i'm not joking when I say that either.

Shame he never kept that up,but also I blame Ranieri for not keeping him on the left wing.

Here's hoping Luiz isn't just a flash in the pan.

Remember it well. Was against Gillingham away in the FA Cup, was a crazy game. 3-0 up, 3-2 .... Then Eidur scored a stunner to kill it. Think that was Jespers debut, ran em ragged.

he has only been here two months, Remember when Essien arrived ,,he was prone to wild challenges in his first season. David is far too intelligent

not to learn quickly .. A MAGNIFICENT SIGNING.

Totally agree. For me we should not even be debating this, the guy is top drawer and has it all. Defensive postioning and awareness, heading, left foot, right foot, short passing, long passing, shooting, strength, distribution, pace and tackling. Ok he was a very reckless in his first few games but a defender has to adjust to the league he is in. Look at his displays against Blackpool and Man City, he showed intelligence, tackled at the right time and defended correctly. What he also provides is the starting point for our counter attacks...with Terry/Alex/Ivanovic at centre half this would not happen..

When you take his age into account if he can stay injury free can be a big player for us for a decade...

Remember it well. Was against Gillingham away in the FA Cup, was a crazy game. 3-0 up, 3-2 .... Then Eidur scored a stunner to kill it. Think that was Jespers debut, ran em ragged.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/2997592/Chelsea-savour-rare-away-win.html

Gronkjaer being described as the star man!!. God if only he did that every week,with his pace it's been a real waste,shame. Saying that,injuries were never kind to him.

Whenever I think of Gronks I always automatically think back to that game,thinking we'd signed someone better than Giggs and Overmars put together.:doh:

In the report it says it was his full debut. Not a bad start,I remember someone I worked with at the time telling me how fast he was. I think dutch football used to be on channel 4 or 5 at stupid o'clock in the morning and he used to watch it all.

Anyway,I'm confident Luiz won't do a Gronkjaer. Luiz has already played more good games in his 1 month than Gronks did in 4 years.:)

Guest justin_3d

So does this put to bed the myth that Brazilians can't play in the EPL???

More Brazilians please! :)

There are absolutely 2 sides to the coin for Luiz. Make no mistake, he's currently my favourite player in the world bar none but that doesn't make me blind to his drawbacks. I think that there will be veteran forwards that will exploit his youth for the next couple of years, he will get the odd 2nd yellow or give up that mistimed penalty but it happens to the best of them. His positives far outweigh his negatives and as others have said I believe he will be considered top 3 defender in the world in a couple of years. Right now he isn't even close because he needs those lessons that only experience can teach but as far as raw talent he's unmatched. Until then there will be mistakes and we have to live with them.

Also, having Terry alongside is massive. He had Luisao at Benfica, solid as a rock, which allows him to do what he wants when he wants knowing that there's cover. Also, having Brano alongside is a huge difference-maker. I honestly believe that Luiz would not have had the same initial impact if Bos was on the right. I don't think people realize how much Brano and Luiz interchange positions throughout a match as needed and that's the subtle difference that allows Luiz such freedom and ultimately the glory. I hope that Carlo continues with this backline because its a perfect blend of offense, defence, and overlap which gives us that extra dimension.

Also, while he gets the glory for his offensive skills, that doesn't mean he's a defensive misfit. When the situation/opponent calls for it you won't see him making those out of position runs. He's extremely smart, knows when he can take those chances and when he needs to stay home. Let's not downplay that side of his game in order to raise up another.

Which player doesnt have to sides to the coin, if you look closer?. He will learn and he will rise to be one of the best player in Chelsea`s history,

That if he stays long enough, just wait and see soon or later clubs will hunt him.