Terry reappointed as England captain

Milan

20th Mar 2011, In Articles, by Alex Hinsley

0,,10268~8376622,00.jpgJohn Terry has been reinstated as the permanent England captain – sparking the view that Fabio Capello isn't as much of an idiot as we all initially feared.

The move comes about 14 months too late, unfortunately – we all saw the wonderful mess that some refer to as the 2010 World Cup (I, despite being a fierce patriot, prefer to forget England qualified for the tournament in South Africa in the first place) that came thanks to the decision to strip the captaincy from a man who had led the country through their most successful qualifying campaign of all-time.

I'd like to reaffirm a point I recently made – I actually have a lot of sympathy for Rio Ferdinand. The bloke is a top defender, and though he isn't, at least in my view, a leader with the same qualities as Terry, he nonetheless has been a successful captain at Manchester United over the last couple of seasons.

The way in which he has been treated by Capello is pretty disgraceful, mind. But with Ferdinand seemingly out for the season (just to add to the injury woes which have limited him to just four appearances out of the last 13 internationals), and vice-captain Steven Gerrard also being crocked, the appointment of a permanent fixture as skipper has been a must for some time.

Capello took the piss when the armband was carelessly flung around in Denmark last month – granted Frank Lampard deserved to wear it in the first half, but seeing someone like Ashley Cole and then Gareth Barry with it will have come as a great insult to Chelsea's skipper.

And the Italian has said enough is enough – Terry has had his "year of punishment" and winning the Double last season is just part of the reason why he should have been reinstated months ago.

Granted that Rio's been treated badly – but he could have at least met with Capello at the weekend; instead allegedly preferring not to meet the England gaffer because he was so distraught. A box of Kleenex are en route to your hotel room, Rio, as well as my deepest sympathies.

Ferdinand has become something of a serious Twitter-whore and usually plasters one's newsfeed with a variety of generic 'COME ON UNITED' bullshit (though the odd controversial comment and novelty joke come as a nice surprise now and again), but unfortunately, the ex-England captain has not been available to comment. I wonder if his wi-fi is down?

The right decision has been made so we can all sleep easy. Even though its morning…. Maybe you'll sleep well tonight? I don't know. I won't use any more clichés.

But at the end of the day (shit, sorry!), Terry deserves the armband back. He may be a money-grabbing twat like the rest of them, but at least he's a money-grabbing twat with an ounce of humility and demonstrates a genuine gratitude that he is where he is – as opposed to the arrogant, obnoxious piece of turd some Manchester United fans refer to as Wayne Rooney.

You may not believe it, but Terry is actually a human being so perhaps some of you self-righteous zealots and sanctimonious arseholes should stop pretending you are so morally-superior to a person who is approximately 26 times the man you will ever be. That doesn't apply to the female journalists slagging Terry off, in which case he is twice the woman you'll ever be, as well.

I'd like to see some underpaid writer of mundane stories (the sort of journalist who recycles the same mediocre, characterless writing every week without second thought) put up with the sort of stick Terry's had. They'd probably go and slash at their wrists after a few days of it all. Boo hoo.

Fair enough, Our John's had his fair share of wrongdoings, but unlike Rooney, he didn't have to pay up front for his extramarital frolicking – proving he can come up with the goods home and away. Get in, JT!

John Terry wears his heart on his sleeve. John Terry is a sincere man, and though he will never be forgiven by those pervasive, repetitive dickheads at The Daily Mail who spawn the same bollocks stories every Sunday morning, John Terry remains the best candidate for the job – and I guess that's what the England captaincy should be decided on.

Which brings me to my (somewhat predictable) climax: John Terry – England and Chelsea Captain, Leader and Legend.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Killa, it's only England, we're in the transitional period anyway.

Once JT retires...media will call for Wilshere to be captain, when he fails they'll call for Joe Hart or someone

That video of JT has a very shameful fan at the 0:22 mark

Right now that I'm over this, I've got to say.. Capello is a class A, twat.

As if Terry hasn't had enough scrutiny over the last year, this will completely start that again! Just as the boo-boys have settled down and gotten over the whole Bridge fiasco, Capello does this and has the whole country gunning after him again. It's an awful decision to be honest, in reality (as a neutral) I'd be against this, not because of Terry (who's the true) captain, but because Capello already took it off him. This move will not be accepted anywhere - except within the Chelsea community - and for that Capello is an idiot.

This would've all been avoided if he'd never stripped him off the captaincy - But the fact he has, means he should stick with that decision (for the sake of national unity).

media hypocrites ...they just love JT being reinstated ...allows them to fill pages without thinking ...

not attributtted quotes ...hammer Capello and at the same time get in some blows at Chelsea ,,, Rio bleating he wasnt informed ,,,he has obviously

been deliberately avoiding Capello at games ....

but really stopped bothering about what England do as long as OUR players arent injured

So he was sacked as Captain to avoid tension/divide in the dressing room.Surley in a way this is going to not help with that! Capello was a twat for sacking him in the first place,gave in to pressure and really has gotten himself in a mess

But good to see the right man with the band..just shame had a year off crap for him to see sense

Capello has fucked everything up but the stupid thing was stripping him of it anyway for non football reasons. Suddenly his other choices are so injury prone that he has to give JT the armband back and look like an absolute arse. He's handled it awfully but the right decision has been made and i'm so happy. Now lets go n win the Euro's! :D

Kinda weird we play City at home, last time we played City at home, JT was getting stripped of the armband lol.

Another thing to point out, if Capello was upset about the way the captaincy was passed around in Copenhagen, surely it was up to him not to keep taking off the captains? :rolleyes:

Or least point it in the right direction!Surley it was down to him to kinda say this is who comes next and next

Or least point it in the right direction!Surley it was down to him to kinda say this is who comes next and next

Yep! End of the day, it was his fault really. He's brought himself as much negative press as JT's getting :lol:

But Capello said on Saturday: "After one year of punishment, Terry will again be the permanent captain. I think one year's punishment is enough."

Roughly translated = "I was wrong and made a massive mistake. p.s i'm also a massive twat."

ONE ENGLAND CAPTAIN!

This is a major PR Car crash by Capello.As mentioned before,he should NEVER of stripped Terry of the England captaincy in the first place as it wasn't for football reasons and it's not like Wayne Bridge was still involved with the slapper that Terry shagged.

Back to the main topic,although i'm pleased for JT getting the captaincy back,i can't really see what the fuss is about.The England captaincy in football is not as important and responsible as it is in Cricket and Rugby,where the captain does have a say in team selection and tactics.

Overseas and the rest of Europe,nobody gives a monkeys on who's their national captain,though it's normally the player with the most caps,or the oldest/most expeirenced player.

Capello has done himself no favours and the way he has disrespected Terry,the rest of the England team AND the England fans is a step too far and his position as England manager has surely become untenable.

If Capello had an ounce of self respect he would of walked nearly 9 months ago in Blomfontein!

To all who say that John Terry shouldn't be England's captain because he's not a good example, I say FUCK OFF.

England must be proud now that they have a captain who does it to women, unlike Rio Ferdinand, who gets fisted by Carlos Tevez in his arse.

tevez-fisting-rio-2.jpg

Yep! End of the day, it was his fault really. He's brought himself as much negative press as JT's getting :lol:

He has! He gave into media demands and took the arm band of him.Then downplayed the imporancey of the arm band.'Its just a title yada yada'.Then when JT did his press confrence who really shouldnt been spokesmen anyway where was Gerrard?!Sitting on his fat arse no doubt.Then that came out,had a go at JT and yet did pretty much what he said to do anyway but of course JT was in the wrong blah blah

Then randomly gave him back the armband and made up a dumb excuse!! He's dug himself a hole and must be counting down the days still 2012!

To all who say that John Terry shouldn't be England's captain because he's not a good example, I say FUCK OFF.

England must be proud now that they have a captain who does it to women, unlike Rio Ferdinand, who gets fisted by Carlos Tevez in his arse.

tevez-fisting-rio-2.jpg

Quality lol