James McCarthy

BlueLion.

Carlo Ancelotti in shock move for Latics youngster James McCarthy

Jan 30 2011 by Alan Nixon, The People

james-mccarthy-main-64630704.jpg

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is making a shock £6million bid to sign Wigan's midfield ­maestro James McCarthy.

The Stamford Bridge club are ready to make a surprise offer for McCarthy, 20, in a bid to get him signed up ­tomorrow although they may have to wait until the end of the season.

Ancelotti's spies have tipped him off about the Ireland starlet, who proved his fitness and class on his return from a three-month lay-off last week.

McCarthy only joined Wigan 18 months ago from Hamilton Accies in a £1.25m raid – and emerged as one of the best ­prospects in the Premier League before he ­damaged ankle ligaments.

Now the Glasgow-born talent could be on his way to Chelsea in the next 24 hours as Ancelotti looks to beef up his squad with a Big Mac.

McCarthy would go straight into Chelsea's squad for the title race and be handed a place in their Champions League squad.

But Wigan supremo Dave Whelan does not want to lose him in the middle of a relegation battle ­unless the fee is massive – and boss Roberto Martinez needs him as he fights for his job. But it is a remarkable chance for the quiet lad who turned down the opportunity of joining Liverpool as a kid because he wanted to take a ­gradual route to the top.

McCarthy is ready to go to a leading club now and Ancelotti wants him ­badly after letting French starlet Gael Kakuta, 19, join Fulham on loan.

Talented McCarthy ­impressed Chelsea's top scouts when they watched his goalscoring ­return to full-time action in the 2-1 defeat to Aston Villa at the DW Stadium on Tuesday night.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/01/30/carlo-ancelotti-in-shock-move-for-latics-youngster-james-mccarthy-102039-22884862/

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a decent player.Any idea if he's an Ireland international yet?

He's only 20 and playing with the likes of Lampard,Essien,Yossi and Flo will make him a better midfielder.

The terms also look good.Sign him,let Wigan have him back till the end of the season to help them out,then we take him properly in the summer.

As far as I'm concerned, we already have Josh who isn't getting enough playing time...

It's only speculation anyway fella-and it's obvious and evident that Wigan need him more than we do,so chances are this will be a non-starter.

Looks like a decent player.Any idea if he's an Ireland international yet?

He's only 20 and playing with the likes of Lampard,Essien,Yossi and Flo will make him a better midfielder.

The terms also look good.Sign him,let Wigan have him back till the end of the season to help them out,then we take him properly in the summer.

He is yeah. We were all quite disappointed up here when he opted to play for them over his native Scotland as he's quite a prospect but he turned out to be just another plastic paddy from the east end of Glasgow.

I'd rather see how he recovers from that injury first and then take another look in the summer.

He is yeah. We were all quite disappointed up here when he opted to play for them over his native Scotland as he's quite a prospect but he turned out to be just another plastic paddy from the east end of Glasgow.

I'd rather see how he recovers from that injury first and then take another look in the summer.

True.Also it's obvious Wigan need him to help their relegation fight,and there's 3 more teams than Wigan i'd rather see relegated this season lol.

Josh is 17, and his development has at least another two years, imo.

McCarthy isn't a bad player and could be a bright spark. If we use him right, he could excell.

McEachran is a quality player, but it goes back to the point I made about developing youngsters too quickly. The fact of the matter is, we need to freshen the squad in any way we can, and if they reckon McCarthy fits in their categories, then I'm all for it. The more players we have, the bigger the depth, the tougher the competition for places, the best we will get out of players.

There is no way in hell that McCarthy would halt McEachran's development infact i see them as a potentially good future midfield partnership should he join.

Josh is developing just nicely no need to rush this little gem and with Essien, Mikel, Ramires, Josh and possible McCarthy we will have good options for years to come, even Lamps wants to stick around till he is 40, he will be valuble expierence and if Scholes can still play bit part for Utd i cant see why Lamps cannot do the same with us. This is not even mentioning Conor Clifford.

the future without doubt looks bright blue%20scalf.gif

Play McEachran more rather than signing him

So I guess Josh will be playing alone in the midfield in the coming years. lol

This kid might be a good buy if we have the intention of developping him and fitting him to our system for the coming years. Lampard, Essien, Benayoun arent getting any younger. Not forgetting Malouda, Drogba, Anelka, and Terry. I prefer we buy this kid for 6M than buying a "Torres" for 50M in the next 3 years.

This would be amazing for me.

The future of Chelseas middle would also be the future of Irelands and no better place for them to be. Hope this happens!

Clifford has the potential to be a quality player and James McCarthy will be quality player, that you can be sure of. Would be a decent bit of business.

Dont know much about this site

http://www.fansfc.com/story/29272.html

After Torres, Chelsea turn to £6million midfielder 04:00 PM 31 January, 2011 Chelsea Football Club hope to wrap up a deal for James McCarthy on Monday.

The Blues priority on transfer deadline day is, of course, to secure the services of Liverpool striker Fernando Torres for a British transfer record £50million.

Once this sensational move has been rubberstamped, it is believed Carlo Ancelotti will then turn his attentions to Wigan Athletic midfielder McCarthy.

The Republic of Ireland international, 20, has recently made a successful return from an ankle ligament injury, and The People claim Chelsea want him for £6million.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You