Why Luiz is perfect for Chelsea

BlueLion.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do in my opinion. I watched them against West Brom away when they thought they could open up against a lesser team and go on the attack. They were getting split open time and time again and had to resort back to their usual negative style and grind out a win via a set piece.

They do not play open football. They are a defence first team where as we are open 9/10 and on the attack.

That's true, they don't play open football. But did you say the same about Terry in the Mourinho era?

And you have to admit when facing top sides, we sit back too.

You know having read this article through and through I don't really agree with what they're saying. They say (more or less) the reason for our slump is the departure of Carvalho, but it's not. In defence yes we've been a bit complacent but how many goals have we really let in? Yeah there was the 3-0 to Sunderland but other than that we've only let in 19. The same as Manchester City and Manchester United. It's the lowest in the league.

Our problem has come from lack of scoring chances. I was wrong when I said "if this is the only singing we make, I'll be delighted" because this would be an awful signing. Ivanovic and Terry have been great! Yeah they've let in goals but they've still saved our asses from more than 1-0 defeats and they deserve huge credit for that, much like Cech.

But our defense isn't a real problem...

So we should buy, in this order :

1. a right winger
  2. a playmaker / attacking midfielder
  3. a striker
  4. a right back
  5. a center back

That's true, they don't play open football. But did you say the same about Terry in the Mourinho era?

And you have to admit when facing top sides, we sit back too.

I did but even then I could see John Terry individually was a great defender first and foremost. Vidic is just part of a system. You could replace him with plenty of CBs and there wouldn't be a significant drop in Utd's defensive ability. The issue here is seeing that Vidic is part of a system and not just a colossus on his own. I simply cannot accept he is the best CB in the World.

We played far more open at WHL than Utd did. How many times was John Terry the last line of defence and he made crucial interceptions? He didn't recievce half the praise Vidic got after the game on Sunday depsite putting in a more impressive performance in more difficult circumstances.

Our problem has come from lack of scoring chances. I was wrong when I said "if this is the only singing we make, I'll be delighted" because this would be an awful signing. Ivanovic and Terry have been great! Yeah they've let in goals but they've still saved our asses from more than 1-0 defeats and they deserve huge credit for that, much like Cech.

I can see what you mean LDN, the club seem to have prioritised CB as a position we need to add players to, which seems a little odd when you consider how the attackers have been performing as of late.

Anyway, SkySports are reporting that we 'are locked in talks' with Benfica - http://www.skysports...6673041,00.html

I did but even then I could see John Terry individually was a great defender first and foremost. Vidic is just part of a system. You could replace him with plenty of CBs and there wouldn't be a significant drop in Utd's defensive ability. The issue here is seeing that Vidic is part of a system and not just a colossus on his own. I simply cannot accept he is the best CB in the World.

We played far more open at WHL than Utd did. How many times was John Terry the last line of defence and he made crucial interceptions? He didn't recievce half the praise Vidic got after the game on Sunday depsite putting in a more impressive performance in more difficult circumstances.

That's very true. He was immense that game and he reminded me why once i rated him as the very best, well him and Riccy. But you know Terry f*cked up getting praised for anything after the scandal. He used to get picked in every 'Team of the Year', those days are gone.

And off-topic but a miracle just took place. Ashley Cole got a place in the UEFA Team of the Year. Team of the Year doesn't say a thing though.

i think the club looks at it this way---- what if Terry gets injured suddenly (as he does more often), there will be no option since they want Bruma to go on loan and play week in week out for his developpement (something he can never achieve at chelsea right now). with Alex ever on the treatement table, we are not ready to play Ferreira at CB. That should be the only reason why we need Luiz.

I watch Portuguese league oftenly especially Benfica and Porto. Luiz is a good defender who is young and still has potential to be a very super defender ( if he plays with the best offcourse)

i think the club looks at it this way---- what if Terry gets injured suddenly (as he does more often), there will be no option since they want Bruma to go on loan and play week in week out for his developpement (something he can never achieve at chelsea right now). with Alex ever on the treatement table, we are not ready to play Ferreira at CB. That should be the only reason why we need Luiz.

I watch Portuguese league oftenly especially Benfica and Porto. Luiz is a good defender who is young and still has potential to be a very super defender ( if he plays with the best offcourse)

It's a ridiculous view. Have they not seen how little creativity we lack up front?! & if Alex does make it back next month & Terry does stay injury free, we'll have 2 world class defenders on the bench! I won't be surprised if Ivanovic is waiting until the window closes to decide if he'll sign or not :lol:

No wonder we're in a slump. The board have no idea why we're in it in the first pace :doh:

No wonder we're in a slump. The board have no idea why we're in it in the first pace :doh:

That's unfair. We already bid for Pienaar. It's not the board's fault he chose Spurs. If rumours are to be believed, we're "in talks" regarding Sanchez as well.

Personally I think we need a top quality centre back and Luiz is exactly that, our defence has been a bit weak this season and last season and the addition of Luiz will certainly go a long way to fixing that problem, yes we need a right winger or creative midfielder but I think we need a top quality centre back every bit as much.

Personally I think we need a top quality centre back and Luiz is exactly that, our defence has been a bit weak this season and last season and the addition of Luiz will certainly go a long way to fixing that problem, yes we need a right winger or creative midfielder but I think we need a top quality centre back every bit as much.

The reason our defence seems weaker is because we play in a more attacking way than we used to. Until we learn how to absolutely dominate games like Barcelona, conceding more goals than were used to is the sacrifice we'll have to make.

The amount of goals we've conceded, the same amount as City and United, isn't even that bad when you consider City's and United's more defensive approach.

4. Srna

Nah, I'm disagree here. We need someone for the futur plus I doubt that Srna is better than Bosingwa. I'd rather buy someone like Santon or Van der Wiel.

The thing I really fear about is that we likely gonna have Malouda - Drogba - Anelka in every games til the end of the season...

Nah, I'm disagree here. We need someone for the futur plus I doubt that Srna is better than Bosingwa. I'd rather buy someone like Santon or Van der Wiel.

The thing I really fear about is that we likely gonna have Malouda - Drogba - Anelka in every games til the end of the season...

IMO, till the end of time. :champions:

I kind of see where your coming from, Liverpool (08/09) Us and Sunderland last season and West Brom this prove that if you go to Utd and have a go at them they can be there for the taking.

IF we spend £25m and sign Luiz then i will definately think that the club has gone bonkers!!

The first time for years we fork out £20m+ and it is in the ONLY position where we do not need to strengthen.

At Centre back we have team captain, England international and one of the best Centre Backs in the World John Terry, Serbian international and one of the best centre backs in the premiership Brana Ivanovic, Brazilian internation and again one of the best Centre Backs in the premiership Alex plus as fourth choice a Dutch U21 international with a couple of full caps. OK Alex is injured but only for a couple of more weeks. Cant think of a team with better options than that.

Left back is probably the only other position where we have really good cover. Right back is debateable, Bosingwa runs hot and cold and Ferreira can be a liability. We are without doubt short of numbers in central midfield even before the injury to Benayoun and Lampard. And in the forward line we are short on numbers and massively short of form....

If we are spending that sort of money on Luiz but will back it up with more quality signings then that is a different matter, but we need to strenghten in other positions first.

There is no such thing as a "watertight" defence, everyone will concede goals and our record isn't too bad this season, Luiz would save us potentially what? a maximum of 2 goals this season considering the quality we already have. And we still won't be able to stick the ball in the net ourselves....

Just does not make sense to me unless we are looking to actually rebuild the squad and improve all over.