Why Luiz is perfect for Chelsea

BlueLion.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vidic is the best centre back in the world today.

He really isn't.

He is part of a negative Man Utd team that sets out not to be beaten. He wouldn't survive in our gung-ho attacking team that leaves just 3 players (Mikel + 2 center-backs) to deal with everything. Our fullbacks are essentially told to be part of the attack because we have zero width.

Utd have a back four protected by Fletcher + Carrick + Anderson. They are extremely negative and any CB would look good in that system.

Vidic at Chelsea would be suicide. He isn't fit to lace Terry's boots.

Luiz is a very good player but i still don't understand this move! £25m for a player when we have 3 world class players for that position already? Terry, Ivanovic and Alex are not exactly underperforming, and you don't spend £20m+ for a 4th choice player. Yes Alex is injured at the moment, so Luiz is behind Terry and Ivanovic, then what happens when Alex comes back?

If we are spending £20m+ on a player i would much rather we spent it on an exciting attacking player to push our ageing and underperforming forward line!!!

Terry is now back to his best -I can see the club anticipating a disaster if Alex protracted injury went on, and Terry got injured -or maybe they're looking ahead I know Terry is only 30 but the next year or two after 30 sees all players slowing down. (Esk You're at your peak). I think it is an insurance type signing -but the player it snubs the most is probably Bruma

''''Despite their defeat in the pursuit of Pienaar, Chelsea are expected to make a renewed effort to sign the Benfica defender David Luiz after they learned that Alex has suffered another setback in his recovery from a knee injury.

The club have already had two bids for the Brazilian defender turned down but their need is the greater now that they fear Alex will not be back for another two weeks. They have previously offered £17m and then £19m plus the Portuguese defender Paulo Ferreira to Benfica, they are now in the process of offering £25 m''

He really isn't.

He is part of a negative Man Utd team that sets out not to be beaten. He wouldn't survive in our gung-ho attacking team that leaves just 3 players (Mikel + 2 center-backs) to deal with everything. Our fullbacks are essentially told to be part of the attack because we have zero width.

Utd have a back four protected by Fletcher + Carrick + Anderson. They are extremely negative and any CB would look good in that system.

:goodpost: but he is a good defender, atleast better than Rio.

He really isn't.

To keep this on topic, I'll relate this topic to Luiz too.

To me Vidic is the best centre back in the world because when he's called upon, he's always there. He reminds me of Terry with being the last line of defence before the keeper, he's strong on the ground as he is in the air. And when he's got the ball he doesn't simply blast it away - thus giving it straight back to the opponent. He's smart, he thinks about where he's going to distribute. His tackling is impeccable usually, this performance vs Tottenham is one of the best he's put in this season.

Luiz looks like a strong player. I haven't seen him play, but from what I've heard, he's good in the air especially. His decision making the crucial element though, it's one of the reasons I rate Ivanovic higher than Alex usually because Ivanovic is smart with what he does with the ball, but he's also agile. I've lost count about the number of times I've seen him save the ball from a corner or throw in for the opposition. His work rate is excellent.

But is Luiz the same?

I don't like to use YouTube videos in football, but because I haven't seen him play I looked for some and this is the kind of thing I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqOGOQP_-FM

If his intelligence is as constant as demonstrated in this video then I'd love it. The pace he shows here is great for a centre back and the timing of his challenges is also very good. I saw him play when Benfica played Liverpool, and vs Torres he was great. He stayed strong against him, didn't commit too early and won his headers. Something Vidic does regularly for United.

He really isn't.

You're exaggerating. Man Utd don't always play negative, like they did against Spurs, and Man Utd play with two centre midfielders (Anderson joins the attacks a lot). And you're assuming Vidic would break when left with only two other players to deal with opposition counter attacks.

We used to play like Man Utd currently do in the Mourinho era and we lauded Terry and Carvalho as super defenders back then.

Vidic is a great defender. Don't know if he's better than Terry though.

That being said, I wouldn't mind us signing him. But a new partner for Terry has to be the last thing on our 'requirement list'.

Luiz is a very good player but i still don't understand this move! £25m for a player when we have 3 world class players for that position already? Terry, Ivanovic and Alex are not exactly underperforming, and you don't spend £20m+ for a 4th choice player. Yes Alex is injured at the moment, so Luiz is behind Terry and Ivanovic, then what happens when Alex comes back?

If we are spending £20m+ on a player i would much rather we spent it on an exciting attacking player to push our ageing and underperforming forward line!!!

Word up.

The problem is our front three, ie Malouda - Drogba - Anelka. At the moment Drogba is a very poor player, and he wouldn't play even for an average team... Malouda plays like an average player, and finally we have a special case with Anelka. This lad was bad just because he didn't give a fuck about the game, but it seems he has changed his mind. Plus CA uses only one player to replace them, Kalou, who shouldn't play that much, and we have two young players who barely play. So we should focus on the attack...

Then, our second problem is our midfield who really lacks of creativity.

But our defense isn't a real problem...

So we should buy, in this order :

1. a right winger
  2. a playmaker / attacking midfielder
  3. a striker
  4. a right back
  5. a center back

To me Vidic is the best centre back in the world because when he's called upon, he's always there. He reminds me of Terry with being the last line of defence before the keeper, he's strong on the ground as he is in the air. And when he's got the ball he doesn't simply blast it away - thus giving it straight back to the opponent. He's smart, he thinks about where he's going to distribute. His tackling is impeccable usually, this performance vs Tottenham is one of the best he's put in this season.

Vidic isn't a ball playing CB. I don't know where you got that from but you are very wrong. He is a hoofer.

Do you not remember Terry's huge performance at WHL just a few weeks ago? Playing in a team that was open and going for the win? Vidic could never give that type of performance in a open team. He relys on a unit of about 7-8 Utd players who just shut up shop and expect Nani or somebody else to win the game single-handedly.

And if anybody thinks I'm biased I'm really not. I can give praise to opposition players but Vidic best CB in the World? LOL, I'm not having that sorry. He isn't even the best CB in Manchester.

Also, Planet Benfica are saying that he is only going to leave in the Summer - http://twitter.com/planetbenfica

Planet Benfica is a fan club, not related to the club. Much like us at TC.

He isn't even the best CB in Manchester.

He can't be, United don't play in Manchester.

giggle.gif

Planet Benfica is a fan club, not related to the club. Much like us at TC.

Then maybe they know as much as we do laugh.gif.

Another thing, how is Ivanovic going to react to this if we do indeed sign him? He wants to play CB and is being offered a new deal at the moment, could that be a talking point for him?

You're exaggerating. Man Utd don't always play negative, like they did against Spurs, and Man Utd play with two centre midfielders (Anderson joins the attacks a lot). And you're assuming Vidic would break when left with only two other players to deal with opposition counter attacks.

We used to play like Man Utd currently do in the Mourinho era and we lauded Terry and Carvalho as super defenders back then.

Vidic is a great defender. Don't know if he's better than Terry though.

They do in my opinion. I watched them against West Brom away when they thought they could open up against a lesser team and go on the attack. They were getting split open time and time again and had to resort back to their usual negative style and grind out a win via a set piece.

They do not play open football. They are a defence first team where as we are open 9/10 and on the attack.