Why Luiz is perfect for Chelsea

BlueLion.

An interesting article has been posted on the Guardian website, saying defenders do not get their just rewards for excellent performances.

Here is a very, very relevant extract:

Terry, at his best, was the quintessential "stopper", snuffing out attacks with keen anticipation and rugged challenges. One reason why Chelsea have struggled lately may be that he has too often been paired with Alex and Branislav Ivanovic, fellow destroyers who give the partnership little variety. Ricardo Carvalho brought composure and intelligence to Chelsea's back four and his measured distribution created a platform for Michael Essien and Frank Lampard to build attacks from deeper positions. The injuries that have taken their toll on Terry's body have left him too often straining to make death-or-glory interventions but for five years he formed pretty much the ideal combination with Carvalho and their contrasting strengths were almost equal to any challenge.

Carvalho, as we all know, has long since gone. However, in Luiz, there is a compromise between defensive destroyer and composed, intelligent defence stewardship. Alex and Ivanovic are magnificent defenders, but with having two defenders who are so similar at the heart of the defence, we lack the variety that the above article refers to, and partnerships between different styles of players are necessary to sure up this defence again.

So, if we sign one player this January, it really, really should be Luiz.

Read the full article here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jan/19/nemanja-vidic-footballer-of-year

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article from the Guardian. It could, of course be that Terry is just knackered.

As far as Luiz is concerned , I am sure he would have been excellent, but if Piennar is the benchmark player they are looking to sign, then the likes of Titus Bramble is more likely. Even if Abramovich went back to those heady, splashing the cash days, a signing like this would not sit well with Alex or Ivanovich , the latter who has allegedly said he will pack his bags if not allowed to be centre back.

That's weird. Luiz always struck me as a ''Puyol'' type of defender, but with a huge bonus of being excellent in build-up play and very comfortable with the ball (being able to make runs forward). A defender that uses his pace, strength and 'never say die' attitude to great effect. Not the highly intelligent, super tackler and excellent reader of the game Carvalho type of defender.

That being said, I wouldn't mind us signing him. But a new partner for Terry has to be the last thing on our 'requirement list'.

And oh yeah, I hate how Terry's distribution from the back is such an underrated part of his game. He's great in build-up play, being equally comfortable passing (short and long passes) with both feet, and he goes forward at times joining the attack. He's a lot more than just a stopper.

That's weird. Luiz always struck me as a ''Puyol'' type of defender, but with a huge bonus of being excellent in build-up play and very comfortable with the ball (being able to make runs forward).

maybe because they have the same hair style!!! LOL nevrmind but I get what you saying. :drunk:

And oh yeah, I hate how Terry's distribution from the back is such an underrated part of his game. He's great in build-up play, being equally comfortable passing (short and long passes) with both feet, and he goes forward at times joining the attack. He's a lot more than just a stopper.

Absolutely -and winger :) You know when we're drawing or losing at the end of a game , he'll be making surging runs...

Well a few media sources now saying Luiz is on the way to SW6 ...

That's weird. Luiz always struck me as a ''Puyol'' type of defender, but with a huge bonus of being excellent in build-up play and very comfortable with the ball (being able to make runs forward). A defender that uses his pace, strength and 'never say die' attitude to great effect. Not the highly intelligent, super tackler and excellent reader of the game Carvalho type of defender.

That being said, I wouldn't mind us signing him. But a new partner for Terry has to be the last thing on our 'requirement list'.

Luiz is a compromise, as I said - a mixture of Terry and Carvalho's attributes, which is what would benefit the defence.

I really hope we can get this deal done. To me Luiz screams of a yougn Carvalho and we can get atleast 10 years of good service from this lad.

With Terry and Alex injury phrone these days and Bruma not quite ready this would be a very good deal.

Im really hoping we can complete this one. This is not a "squad signing" but it is the signing of an automatic starting 11 player, a player who could be part of a starting 11 for the next 10 years. Anyone who has seen him play for Brazil or Benfica will know why so many top clubs are interested in him, he has it all, this guy is well on the way to becoming the best defender on the planet, we already had the best defender in the world at our club (Ricardo Carvalho), we know the benefits of what a truly great defender brings and there should be no mistake this Luiz is the next great defender, this would be a great signing for the club for both the present and future.

Luiz is a very good player but i still don't understand this move! £25m for a player when we have 3 world class players for that position already? Terry, Ivanovic and Alex are not exactly underperforming, and you don't spend £20m+ for a 4th choice player. Yes Alex is injured at the moment, so Luiz is behind Terry and Ivanovic, then what happens when Alex comes back?

If we are spending £20m+ on a player i would much rather we spent it on an exciting attacking player to push our ageing and underperforming forward line!!!

Good article, but it says what we as Chelsea fans already knew about Terry-Riccy and Terry-Alex/Iva. Luiz seems like a good fit for Terry but that should not be the primary consideration in getting him here. Let's face it - even with so many injury problems, we've still conceded only 7 goals at home all season.

I personally feel we're not going to get Luiz in January. Waiting for the club to surprise me though ;)

Luiz is a very good player but i still don't understand this move! £25m for a player when we have 3 world class players for that position already? Terry, Ivanovic and Alex are not exactly underperforming, and you don't spend £20m+ for a 4th choice player. Yes Alex is injured at the moment, so Luiz is behind Terry and Ivanovic, then what happens when Alex comes back?

If we are spending £20m+ on a player i would much rather we spent it on an exciting attacking player to push our ageing and underperforming forward line!!!

There is no way Luiz will be 4th choice, Id expect him to be slotted into the centre back position straight away.

That really is doing John Terry a huge disservice to describe him in that way. His positioning is incredible and technically (ball at his feet) he is one of the best CBs in the World.

I take everything the Guardian has to say about Terry with a pinch of salt. They almost always criticise him one way or another and don't even get me started on that c*nt Barry Glendenning. :rant:

Exactly. We're seriously lacking up front, really struggling to break down defences and creating chances and we've hardly conceded goals so I guess the most logic thing to do would be to get a defender.