Ray Wilkins leaves with immediate effect

BlueLion.

Chelsea Football Club chief executive Ron Gourlay has announced today that the board has decided not to renew Ray Wilkins' contract. This will take effect immediately.

Gourlay said: 'On behalf of everyone at the club I would like to thank Ray for everything he has done for Chelsea Football Club. We all wish him well for the future.'

From the official site.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Ray was a good prospect to Chelsea over the years. I remember he was our step-in manager during hard times a couple years ago whilst seeking a new manager and he stepped up to the mark gaining victories which led to trophies. I am shocked. Who will replace him? This better not put a negative on us! We are top of the league 4 points clear! This does not seem a good time to make such a decision. Anyway, Thank you and farewell Ray! You will be missed. Hope he can move on to manage hus own club cause I know he'd make a good manager.

This is really a big loss for us. Ray was one of the most respected guys at the club, and always knew the right things to say. He played a huge part in Hiddink's success and also was a great friend to Carlo. This is terrible news for Chelsea fans everywhere, I just don't understand why his contract wouldn't be renewed.

Surprised...to say the least.

Ray had a great relationship with Carlo and I doubt he has anything to do with Ray being sacked.

Wonder who'll replace him, Zola is a good shout but I doubt he'll like being an assistant manager again. Could be a CA man like Maldini or Demichelis...

WTF??? Where has this come from? Why have they decided this? Really shocked and confused right now!

First of all thanks to Ray and good luck in the future. As for his replacement, Maybe Paul Clement will step up to number one assistant. What do people think of that?

This is really a big loss for us. Ray was one of the most respected guys at the club, and always knew the right things to say. He played a huge part in Hiddink's success and also was a great friend to Carlo. This is terrible news for Chelsea fans everywhere, I just don't understand why his contract wouldn't be renewed.

Looks like a sacking rather than a contract not being renewed to me . No contract runs out in the middle of a season . Massive loss , the media will have a field day and just when you thought there was some semblance of stability in the club this happens . Not jumping to any conclusions yet about the board , but they might've blown this one , bad .

From a Chelsea news writer , updating the situation real-time on twitter :

1. Ray Wilkins told he was being removed this PM: at half time in a reserve match he was watching with Ancelotti. Both shocked. 1 minute ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
  2. Much of the Ray Wilkins speculation seems to revolve around a contract dispute rather than a major falling-out. #chelsea 17 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

http://twitter.com/BluesChronicle