Hip Hop discussion

Aria

Kendrick will never be able to live up to good kid, m.A.A.d city. It's perfect, he has set the bar beyond reach much like Nas did in the 90s. No matter how great the next albums are they will always be measured up to GKMC, which is understandable but also unfair at the same.

Kendrick will never be able to live up to good kid, m.A.A.d city. It's perfect, he has set the bar beyond reach much like Nas did in the 90s. No matter how great the next albums are they will always be measured up to GKMC, which is understandable but also unfair at the same.

Not so bad tbf, if any rapper in the modern era can have a career on par with Nas' they've won period. The other side of that.. is rappers like J. Cole who are yet to find a classic and released a lackluster debut album; first impressions count.

Not so bad tbf, if any rapper in the modern era can have a career on par with Nas' they've won period. The other side of that.. is rappers like J. Cole who are yet to find a classic and released a lackluster debut album; first impressions count.

Nas and Kendrick have set themselves up to disappoint their fans. While it's obvious Nas' body of work is spectacular none of it reaches the heights of Illmatic which in itself is a disppointment.

Nas and Kendrick have set themselves up to disappoint their fans. While it's obvious Nas' body of work is spectacular none of it reaches the heights of Illmatic which in itself is a disppointment.

Not every album is spectacular of Nas' he has a few disappointing efforts.

I believe good kid, m.A.A.d city is Hip Hop's swansong. We will be lucky if there is an album like this ever again in Hip Hop. The genre is stagnating, it's not changing or evolving and has been relativley the same since the early 90s. Nas said Hip Hop was dead in 2006 and he is right, GKMC has just defibrillated a dying genre.

Nas never disappointed his fans (Nastradamus & SD aside), the critics.. yes, rap fans in general.. somewhat. It Was Written (the follow up to illmatic) has aged very well and most consider that a classic now. Kendrick said himself Stillmatic is his favourite Nas album, J. Cole too. Fans have to know when to move on, the disappointment factor is relative..

"They thought I'd make another 'Illmatic'

But it's always forward I'm movin

Never backwards stupid here's another classic"

- Stillmatic (The Intro)

Nas never disappointed his fans (Nastradamus & SD aside), the critics.. yes, rap fans in general.. somewhat. It Was Written (the follow up to illmatic) has aged very well and most consider that a classic now. Kendrick said himself Stillmatic is his favourite Nas album, J. Cole too. Fans have to know when to move on, the disappointment factor is relative..

- Stillmatic (The Intro)

I don't expect him to make another Illmatic, that is stupid. But what I and I imagine other people expected was another album; a different album that is on the level of Illmatic. Look at Outkast, they made Aquemini and followed it up with Stankonia, two very different albums but they hold the same amazing level.

That is why I said body of work. Looking at his discography on a whole it spectacular. I know there is some weaker albums there but it averages out.

As a body of work, a few of his pieces were disappointing imo. He does have some amazing stuff, Illmatic, Stillmatic, Gods Son, Distant Relatives, and his latest album are badass. But yes, as a whole, his body of work is rivaled by few.

- Stillmatic (The Intro)

It Was Written is solid. Gods son and Stillmatic are two of my favorite all time hip hop albums. Distant Relatives is one of the craziest albums I've heard in the last 5 years or so.

I feel KDot will just keep at it. He seems hungry and wants to be the greatest. He can do so many things and let's not forget Section 80 is amazing. K Dot is hiphop right now.

I don't expect him to make another Illmatic, that is stupid. But what I and I imagine other people expected was another album; a different album that is on the level of Illmatic. Look at Outkast, they made Aquemini and followed it up with Stankonia, two very different albums but they hold the same amazing level.

This. Eminem put out SSLP and MMLP, Jay came with Resonable Doubt and topped it a few years later with Blueprint. Hopefully Kendrick does the same. Nas put out some amazing work, but none of it ever quite reached Illmatic status.

The new Kendrick single is very different, stepping outside of his comfort zone with this one. It's like the Hip Hop version of Pharrells happy. I like it, reminds me of a fusion of the stuff from Nas' Distant Relatives.

Not feeling it, still looking forward to his new album though.