The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Writing about colonial wars is so depressingly boring. 169 Conquistadores brought down an army of anywhere between 30 and 80,000 Inca soldiers. It didn't help that they were enormous planks, more concerned with deciding who would succeed Huayna Capac than concentrating on defeating the Spanish first.

I prefer African/Indian colonial wars. At least the Zulu's and the Mughal's gave the Europeans a good fight. The Americans were just slaughtered.

Writing about colonial wars is so depressingly boring. 169 Conquistadores brought down an army of anywhere between 30 and 80,000 Inca soldiers. It didn't help that they were enormous planks, more concerned with deciding who would succeed Huayna Capac than concentrating on defeating the Spanish first.

I prefer African/Indian colonial wars. At least the Zulu's and the Mughal's gave the Europeans a good fight. The Americans were just slaughtered.

I know what you mean. It sounds weird, but some wars are just more interesting than others and some colonizations are more interesting than others.

Surprising to learn that Britain was illiterate until AD 43.

That is astonishing, to go from only being able to read and write to the largest power the world has ever seen in the space of 1800 or so years. Especially when you consider that Britain was pretty weak until about Queen Elizabeth's reign.

Don't you hate it when you reach the last episode of an awesome series..that just happened to me with Entourage =[

i gave up on that show after i kept missing the new epsisodes. its like i was cursed so i threw in the towel hahaha.

its happened plenty, my favorite series of all time "24" :cry: :cry: i miss it soo much

Cap all i would write is GGS, on the essay. hahaha i mean the Germs that took away what like nearl 2/3 of all the people in the americas.

i gave up on that show after i kept missing the new epsisodes. its like i was cursed so i threw in the towel hahaha.

its happened plenty, my favorite series of all time "24" :cry: :cry: i miss it soo much

Yeah heard 24 is a bit like that.

Finishing off Community at the moment, then might go onto Breaking Bad or The Wire

It didn't help that the Spanish all invited the common cold with them to the Americas. That accounted for 90% of the Mesoamerican populace, believe it or not, between 1492 and 1614.

It didn't help that the Spanish all invited the common cold with them to the Americas. That accounted for 90% of the Mesoamerican populace, believe it or not, between 1492 and 1614.

Disease got them even quicker than that. 90-93% of the population between 1521 and 1571, I think you'll find, according to these:

(Livi-Bacci, M., June 2006. The Depopulation of Hispanic America after the Conquest, Population and Development Review, Vol.32, Issue 2.

Dobyns, H.F, 1983. Their Numbers Became Thinned: Native American Population Dynamics in Eastern North America. University of Tennessee Press.)

Have some of that, uni. I will not use Chicago Style Referencing, no matter how much you penalise me! Harvard Style, like it or not! B)

Don't you hate it when you reach the last episode of an awesome series..that just happened to me with Entourage =[

The Sopranos :cry:

Disease got them even quicker than that. 90-93% of the population between 1521 and 1571, I think you'll find, according to these:

(Livi-Bacci, M., June 2006. The Depopulation of Hispanic America after the Conquest, Population and Development Review, Vol.32, Issue 2.

Dobyns, H.F, 1983. Their Numbers Became Thinned: Native American Population Dynamics in Eastern North America. University of Tennessee Press.)

Interesting. I'm studying the Spanish Americas and the sources I used for that statistic is this:

María M. Portuondo, Secret Science: Spanish Cosmography and the New World (Chicago, Chicago UP, 2009).

Bernal Diaz del Castillo, The Conquest of New Spain (New York, Penguin Classics, 1973, revised edition 2006).

Both are in agreement of the figures.

Oh well. That's historiography for you.

Interesting. I'm studying the Spanish Americas and the sources I used for that statistic is this:

María M. Portuondo, Secret Science: Spanish Cosmography and the New World (Chicago, Chicago UP, 2009).

Bernal Diaz del Castillo, The Conquest of New Spain (New York, Penguin Classics, 1973, revised edition 2006).

Both are in agreement of the figures.

Oh well. That's historiography for you.

Indeed it is, especially with death rates from the colonial era.

Modern historiography is just as bad. No one can agree on just how many Stalin killed in the Gulags.

Haha, Jamaican's speak English in a strange way.

There is some Jamaican nutter who lives near me and everytime he sees me score at the park he tells me I will play for England or Chelsea. He is about 60, rastafarian and has a walking stick and always carries a Tesco bag